collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to shed hunting, what areas to key in on?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
New to shed hunting, what areas to key in on?
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
Hey guys, I want to get out and look for sheds, I am gonna be looking on the west side and want to know what type of areas are typical to find sheds?
"real dogs have beards"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: New to shed hunting, what areas to key in on?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
Hey guys, I want to get out and look for sheds, I am gonna be looking on the west side and want to know what type of areas are typical to find sheds?
It's tough on the west side, I live on the west side but hunt on both sides.  You really just have to get lucky on the west side, unless your looking for elk antlers in an area where they go to during the winter.  I'm always looking for blacktail sheds but rarely find them, I have a good collection but it's taken many years with an average of finding 1 or 2 a year, that's with a ton of time and miles.  One thing with antler hunting is, patience.  It can get boring at times but it's pretty damn sweet when you find one.  Almost as fun as killing the animal but you don't have to pack out all that meat.  For west side elk, look in wintering areas.  For west side blacktail, it's all about knowing where the deer are in the first place, they don't travel far BUT they seem to hide their head gear under logs!  Good luck, it's fun when you find them. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
Re: New to shed hunting, what areas to key in on?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:54:55 AM »
 :yeah: Westside elk seem to like the swamps, be prepared to get your feet wet!!
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal