collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Hunting Competencies  (Read 12208 times)

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Elk Hunting Competencies
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »
Some people are just hunters , the way they stalk and think and the drive to do what ever it takes . I always told people you have to hunt elk where they are not where you want to hunt , no matter where that may be or how crappy it will be to get one out . there is only so many of hours to hunt don't leave any on the table .
:yeah:  I know some guys who hunt pretty hard but they just can't connect the dots.  There are only so many hunters in a tribe, comes to mind.

How many years have those guys been hunting hard?  Takes some time to learn an area and be able to consistently get opportunities.  I hunted hard for four years going all over the state. Northeast, eastern wa, central wa,  northwest and southwest.  I would hunt hard.  A lot harder than I hunt now.  And my opportunities those years were very rare.  After I settled on an area and actually started learning about elk I can get a shot op more times than not what I do at the moment of truth is a differnt story.  Pre season was a huge factor in learning how to locate the elk.  Shooting the bow all year.  Even if it's only ten arrows over a month.  Keeps me in form.  Being addicted to elk hunting is what worked best for me.  Next ridge next ridge next ridge repeat till you have elk down.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »
Some people are just hunters , the way they stalk and think and the drive to do what ever it takes . I always told people you have to hunt elk where they are not where you want to hunt , no matter where that may be or how crappy it will be to get one out . there is only so many of hours to hunt don't leave any on the table .
:yeah:  I know some guys who hunt pretty hard but they just can't connect the dots.  There are only so many hunters in a tribe, comes to mind.

How many years have those guys been hunting hard?  Takes some time to learn an area and be able to consistently get opportunities.  I hunted hard for four years going all over the state. Northeast, eastern wa, central wa,  northwest and southwest.  I would hunt hard.  A lot harder than I hunt now.  And my opportunities those years were very rare.  After I settled on an area and actually started learning about elk I can get a shot op more times than not what I do at the moment of truth is a differnt story.  Pre season was a huge factor in learning how to locate the elk.  Shooting the bow all year.  Even if it's only ten arrows over a month.  Keeps me in form.  Being addicted to elk hunting is what worked best for me.  Next ridge next ridge next ridge repeat till you have elk down.
  Few guys I'm thinking of have been at it a long time.  Difference between you and them is you are connecting all the pieces of the puzzle, where they have failed to do so.  Its one thing to go through the motions, its another to go through those same motions and observe and absorb all the important details along the way. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
You have to want it more than anything! When your tired keep pushing.

#1 mistake I see is guys moving to fast through the woods! Elk dont just vanish, but for as big as they are they hide very well. 

I live to hunt elk and think about it everyday..  I have a pretty high success rate and kinda think I know what I'm doing after 29 years. 

I got burned bad with my bow last year but can't wait to use it again this year. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
Sometimes it's not about boot leather.  If you hunt in areas with very small and elusive herds, you need to hunt only that small area but be so meticulous that it drives you crazy.  In six years of hunting one area, I've had 3 shot opportunities and killed one elk, it is a very small group of elk and if I were to "burn boot leather" I would blow them out or walk 10 miles past them.

So far, the closest comparison to elk hunting is blacktail hunting.  I've never heard a successful blacktail hunter say, "I've put on 60 miles the past two weeks and still no blacktail.  No, people like BH45 have great spots and the revisit them.  They are little areas that hold big bucks.  That's what elk hunting is like to me.  Every time I have tried to put mad miles on, I blow out elk and see nothing.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »
Sometimes it's not about boot leather.  If you hunt in areas with very small and elusive herds, you need to hunt only that small area but be so meticulous that it drives you crazy.  In six years of hunting one area, I've had 3 shot opportunities and killed one elk, it is a very small group of elk and if I were to "burn boot leather" I would blow them out or walk 10 miles past them.

So far, the closest comparison to elk hunting is blacktail hunting.  I've never heard a successful blacktail hunter say, "I've put on 60 miles the past two weeks and still no blacktail.  No, people like BH45 have great spots and the revisit them.  They are little areas that hold big bucks.  That's what elk hunting is like to me.  Every time I have tried to put mad miles on, I blow out elk and see nothing.
It is definitely very unique to different people and to different areas.  Where one person excels, one person fails miserably.  Sounds like I would not do well in your area :chuckle:  The best hunters out there have all the skills to be able to adapt to any situation, area, or technique.  I hope to one day make it to that level.  I've got a very long way to go :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 05:27:40 PM »

It is definitely very unique to different people and to different areas.  Where one person excels, one person fails miserably.  Sounds like I would not do well in your area :chuckle:  The best hunters out there have all the skills to be able to adapt to any situation, area, or technique.  I hope to one day make it to that level.  I've got a very long way to go :chuckle:

I'm right there with you!  Got a long way to go

My natural tendency is to go full steam ahead but it's when I slowed down that I started killing animals more often.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »

My natural tendency is to go full steam ahead but it's when I slowed down that I started killing animals more often.
I'm always in awe at the true big dogs of the elk woods.  I've learned more in the last two season's hunting with Coach than the last decade of grinding it out on my own.  I have only eaten elk tag soup a few times but I still feel like a rookie.  I feel like he has forgotten more about elk hunting than I will ever know :chuckle:

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »

I'm always in awe at the true big dogs of the elk woods.  I've learned more in the last two season's hunting with Coach than the last decade of grinding it out on my own.  I have only eaten elk tag soup a few times but I still feel like a rookie.  I feel like he has forgotten more about elk hunting than I will ever know :chuckle:

Coach kills 380 bulls next to roads!!  Thats all skill :chuckle:
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »
Mental toughness, hunting where the elk are and then really learning the area are tops. Being in shape will keep you in the woods longer as well.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »

heck hike 200 miles to get them close to a road. Any time you think you have elk figured out you get burned. Elk adapt well  and  don't like human contact.  I remember wearing elk decoys we made holding them up and sneaking in on elk. I have been really fortunate to be able to harvest  fourty or so elk in 24 years or so. You learn something on everyone. The one constant in every archery hunt was the wind it is the single most important factor. Guys like blrman  are taking the torch and carrying on . I feel like I can still get after it but no where near the way I could at 30. It used to be all about harvest in my 20s  and 30s  that has shifted a bit in the last few.  I can't remember how many times in the last twenty years I took off in the direction away from elk near dark and ended up back at camp well after dark . I believe  sitting on stand can be effective but it's not for me , I just don't get the same satisfaction  from it . One other tip for still hunting is to look as far off as possible  then scan back to you. You must see the elk first. As far as scouting I be leave it's good to a point and from distance . I think way to many guys are getting to close to elk and educating them . Scouting in a area that gets hit hard typically works opening day . I have seen guys that scouted and planned get really bummed by day two or three when all there preparation dosnt pay off. Hunt hard and try new things call at times and don't be afraid to blow it . My motto has been if you know where he is and the wind is good go for it now !
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:16:41 PM by coachcw »
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 08:24:51 PM »
I also think  of me deer and elk differently . For mule  deer it's all about the glass time while for me elk is about covering ground and  vocalizations.  Bull elk like to pose Most of the fall they answer from a distance and move off when challenged , you can tell when there in that mode as you will hear bulls sounding off never getting closer to each other.when this happens be agressive and close that gap .once your in there kitchen give them the cow call . My other looser use is if a bull is bulging to your cow calls don't bugle at him as often he will bug out if you blow at him.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 08:38:38 PM »

heck hike 200 miles to get them close to a road. Any time you think you have elk figured out you get burned. Elk adapt well  and  don't like human contact.  I remember wearing elk decoys we made holding them up and sneaking in on elk. I have been really fortunate to be able to harvest  fourty or so elk in 24 years or so. You learn something on everyone. The one constant in every archery hunt was the wind it is the single most important factor. Guys like blrman  are taking the torch and carrying on . I feel like I can still get after it but no where near the way I could at 30. It used to be all about harvest in my 20s  and 30s  that has shifted a bit in the last few.  I can't remember how many times in the last twenty years I took off in the direction away from elk near dark and ended up back at camp well after dark . I believe  sitting on stand can be effective but it's not for me , I just don't get the same satisfaction  from it . One other tip for still hunting is to look as far off as possible  then scan back to you. You must see the elk first. As far as scouting I be leave it's good to a point and from distance . I think way to many guys are getting to close to elk and educating them . Scouting in a area that gets hit hard typically works opening day . I have seen guys that scouted and planned get really bummed by day two or three when all there preparation dosnt pay off. Hunt hard and try new things call at times and don't be afraid to blow it . My motto has been if you know where he is and the wind is good go for it now !
Man your old :sry: :chuckle:

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 08:52:42 PM »
tell me kid .... Ive  followed  you up the hill    .   But I made it ,Like Shockey says keep stepping

Offline mjustice79

• Hunter
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, B&C, Buckmasters
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 08:55:52 PM »
I really hope some of the newer elk hunters (or even those who have been hunting for years but do not consistently get shot opportunities each year) are taking notes. I have this thread running on three hunting forums and am really getting some great input. Once the threads run their course, I'll capsulate everthing and post.

I know that I am! Great info for a first time elk hunter this upcoming season!  :tup:
Retired Infantryman
I'm about to say to heck with all, and go raise pigs, mules, and tobacco.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »
Find that "Spot within a spot".  There are no secret spots.  Elk Hunters, especially archers, are willing to burn the boot leather.  I am always amazed how we think we are the only ones working that hard.  Every honey hole I have gets hunted to some extent by others, but I believe the vast majority of those others haven't found the "Spot within the Spot".  We may park at the same place, but my success will be far greater if I am at the perfect spot a half hour before daylight.  It isn't always way back in either.   :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal