collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Breading/batter recipe/method...whats your preferred?  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
Breading/batter recipe/method...whats your preferred?
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:51:05 AM »
So I bought a little fryer and have used it a few times. SO far elk finger steaks, mushrooms, jalepeno rings and avocado...

I never looked at a recipe, I generally take some flour or pancake mix, whatever is nearest, put it in a zip lock, throw in some garlic salt and pepper... maybe some other spice if it happens to catch my eye....

I'll throw chopped mushrooms or steak or jalepeno rings in a bowl of beaten egg then sieve them out with my fingers and throw them in a zip lock with that flour mixture and shake!

Ive had great results... but am curious if "real fry kings" use a different method? Is pancake batter any different than flour for the most part? What about bisquick? Do you make a batter and put stuff in or do egg wash and powder like I do. I think the egg wash powder method is better cause the breading is much lighter...

I got news for ya... if you haven't fried jalepeno rings... you are missing out.. mmmm hmmm!!!
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline Brad Harshman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Breading/batter recipe/method...whats your preferred?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:33:34 AM »
For fried duck strips I dtop the meat in the eggs then seasoned flour.  I then put them on cookie sheet and chill them in the freezer for a few minutes.  Then I repeat, back in the eggs then the season flour.  After that they go right into the hot oil.  This gives a more consistent breading while still keeping it light.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:33:50 AM »
Dredge in cornstarch before you egg wash and flour.  Thank me later.

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 07:59:40 AM »
Thank you! Will give both a try and see what happens!
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:06:12 AM »
Here is a little something I've been doing for beer batter. I dilute the batter juuuussstt a bit more than usual. I take my fish or whatever I'm frying in and batter it up then toss in panko. Fry that baby up and it is crisp and tasty with a little less breading getting in the way.

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
Egg wash then into a seasoned cracker meal. Nice light crisp breaking.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:02:05 AM »
Here is a little something I've been doing for beer batter. I dilute the batter juuuussstt a bit more than usual. I take my fish or whatever I'm frying in and batter it up then toss in panko. Fry that baby up and it is crisp and tasty with a little less breading getting in the way.

I like this idea.

When using a "dry" breading like flour, panko, or corn flake crumbs (my favorite on fish/seafood), I have noticed that if you prebread everything (dip and coat repeat if desired) and then let it sit for a bit allowing it to dry out, the breading will stick to it better.

Offline Mike450r

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:24:17 AM »

I like this idea.

When using a "dry" breading like flour, panko, or corn flake crumbs (my favorite on fish/seafood), I have noticed that if you prebread everything (dip and coat repeat if desired) and then let it sit for a bit allowing it to dry out, the breading will stick to it better.

:yeah:    For meat and fish in particular I shake in seasoned coating mix of either flour, cornstarch, bisquik etc. in a large plastic bag or Tupperware with lid before dipping in a mixture of egg and milk,  then back in the coating mix.  I think I have some backstrap to thaw now.  thanks for the inspiration.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Flour, beer and a little bit of baking powder for fish batter.  The thinner the mixture the more light and crispy it will be.  I season the filets first with Johnnys, some garlic powder and cayenne.  A buddy of mine out at Neah Bay used a mix called Fry Crisp (I think) that was pretty good too.

Another, non-traditional coating I do occasionally is a corn starch dip, egg wash and the into instant mashed potatoes, the flaky kind, not the granular kind.  Fires up nice and golden brown and crispy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:38:48 AM by NRA4LIFE »
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 10:07:25 AM »
Whatever I'm frying, first coat with flour or cornstarch, then I dredge in egg or buttermilk, then coat in Panko. Lately, I've been buying Snyder's honey mustard pretzel pieces and grinding them in a food processor. I use that instead of Panko and it's been awesome.

There was a restaurant in town here that used to use Captain Crunch as there breading and it was pretty good.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »
With fish I  dredge in 1/2 cornmeal 1/2 flour seasoned with salt/pepper or old bay, after an egg wash.
My dad swore by 1/2 cornmeal 1/2 flour after rubbing all the fillets in yellow mustard, then fry (this was on catfish)
I don't really fry much other than fish

Offline daddysprad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »
I use 2/3 instant potatoes and 1/3 parmesan cheese with a small amount of flour to fill in the spaces. 

If I'm making something Italian like I use Italian bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.  The good thing about the bread crumbs is you can mix the leftover crumbs with the left over egg wash, add chopped onion and roll them into balls for hushpuppies. 

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 08:21:06 AM »
I use 2/3 instant potatoes and 1/3 parmesan cheese with a small amount of flour to fill in the spaces. 

If I'm making something Italian like I use Italian bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese.  The good thing about the bread crumbs is you can mix the leftover crumbs with the left over egg wash, add chopped onion and roll them into balls for hushpuppies.

I was just going to post the Instant Potato idea, we like the cheesy one for a change of pace from Corn Flake Crumbs.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »
Lots of good tips and tricks posted. We tryed this Shore Lunch mix in a box. It was on sale at Cabelas so we tryed it out. One of our favorites now!
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal