collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the WSB stance on Baiting for deer & Elk?  (Read 31555 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: What is the WSB stance on Baiting for deer & Elk?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 03:37:15 PM »
So, if I happen to be a wealthy ranch owner and plant crops for deer, that is ok.  If I am a normal guy and buy a box of apples, that isn't.

Maybe the first step is to push to include animals feeding on agricultural plots as baiting.  That way, we will at least all be on the same team.

This is just another chipping away at hunting.  In a generation, it is amazing what can happen.  Dogs, bait, lead bullets, you even have to weigh your arrows.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
This is the comment I submitted in response to all three baiting restriction options.

"I strongly believe that the rule should remain status quo for the upcoming three year cycle.  I believe that the original online survey was the best judge of what hunters desired.  These were people that are actually concerned about the issue and took the time to respond to the survey.  I was not contacted for the phone survey and none of my family members or hunting partners were, that is a total of over 20 members of our family.  Bottom line the online survey said no change and there is no data to suggest that baiting is having a negative affect on the resource.  If there was something other than a few complaining that they are against it I would be willing to look at other options of controlling the problem.  I just don't see that there is a problem.  I don't believe that we should be making rules to ban a practice that works for some and has no adverse impacts on game populations.  In essence you are taking away opportunity from hunters and the benefit is to quiet a few complaints."

I have been to these meetings before and if enough people write in or show up to the meeting on one side of the issue the commission will listen and strike this from the new rules.  Especially if we argue that the online survey was against any restriction and there is no scientific evidence saying that baiting is adversely affecting the resource or hunter success.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »
At least they specifically exempted scents from being considered bait. Many people on this forum thought scents would be considered bait for deer and elk hunting purposes, just like it is for bear.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 09:19:07 PM »
My interpretation of the three options is that -078 is the most severe. With the exceptions of ranches, food plots, orchards and so forth which are common to all three no baiting is allowed. Period.

The second option -079 allows baiting in quantities less than 10 gallons.

The third option -088 takes away the 10 gallon limit, but adds exemptions for youths, seniors, and some private lands.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 09:32:07 PM »
My interpretation of the three options is that -078 is the most severe. With the exceptions of ranches, food plots, orchards and so forth which are common to all three no baiting is allowed. Period.

The third option -088 takes away the 10 gallon limit, but adds exemptions for youths, seniors, and some private lands.
Yes
-078 bans all baiting
-079 sets a 10 gal limit on all bait sites
-088 bans bait on public land (except for youth, over 65, and disabled) and sets a 10 gal limit on private lands.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »
This is just another chipping away at hunting.  In a generation, it is amazing what can happen.  Dogs, bait, lead bullets, you even have to weigh your arrows.
That's true, but in my lifetime I've also gained the use of laser rangefinders, GPS units, Google Earth images, bows that shoot much faster and more accurately than ever before, two-way radios, trail cameras, better bullets, better rifles, better clothing, better publicly available landowner information, websites that post all the honey holes  :chuckle:, and a myriad of other things that have improved my hunt experience and allowed me to hunt better than ever before.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »

Yes
-078 bans all baiting
-079 sets a 10 gal limit on all bait sites
-088 bans bait on public land (except for youth, over 65, and disabled) and sets a 10 gal limit on private lands.
Close, but not quite right on 088...it bans baiting except for  youth, 65+, and disabled hunters. It also exempts hunters hunting on private land in modern firearm restricted units/areas or urban growth areas, as defined by municipalities from the ban.  Even in the "exception" cases, the bait volume limit (10 gal) applies.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 08:26:45 AM »
The 4th option is to leave the baiting issue "as is".

It's important for everyone that is in favor of this to go onto the WDFW website and voice their opinion. It's easy to do and only takes about 5 min. Longer if you want to weigh in on the other issues at hand.

Like Shawn eluded to, It's ridiculous that other hunters are the driving force to get this "LEGAL" form of hunting changed and taken away!

Thanks again to everyone in the WSB for standing up for our rights!
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline elk247

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »
That's true, but in my lifetime I've also gained the use of laser rangefinders, GPS units, Google Earth images, bows that shoot much faster and more accurately than ever before, two-way radios, trail cameras, better bullets, better rifles, better clothing, better publicly available landowner information, websites that post all the honey holes  :chuckle:, and a myriad of other things that have improved my hunt experience and allowed me to hunt better than ever before.
Horse shoes, 4wd, camoflauge,  :chuckle: I wish I could have been able to hunt pre 70's technology be dammed. Less crowded, less laws, more open access better predator management practices, and a thriving logging industry the hunting must have been outstanding.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
The 4th option is to leave the baiting issue "as is".

It's important for everyone that is in favor of this to go onto the WDFW website and voice their opinion. It's easy to do and only takes about 5 min. Longer if you want to weigh in on the other issues at hand.

Like Shawn eluded to, It's ridiculous that other hunters are the driving force to get this "LEGAL" form of hunting changed and taken away!

Thanks again to everyone in the WSB for standing up for our rights!
This is spot on.  We don't have to choose one of these options, I have seen the commission in the past with enough written input and verbal input from meeting attendees just strike a proposal completely out of the regulations.

Go to the survey and say no change on all three options, keep baiting legal the way that it is right now.  They can readdress it later if it actually becomes a problem.  These proposals are a knee jerk reaction to a few people that have complained about it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
The baiting issue is moving fast and I wanted to let people know the options out there and what WSB is doing about this.  WSB is supporting option B.  Here are the three proposals out there right now:

Version A
NEW SECTION
WAC 232-12-xxx Baiting for the purposes of hunting deer or elk.

(1) For the purposes of this section:

(a) "Bait" is any salt, grain, fruit, hay or other food-based at- tractant that could serve as a lure or attraction for deer or elk.
(b) Scent attractants and scent covers are not considered bait.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful to hunt deer or elk using any type of bait placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for the purpose of attract- ing deer or elk to an area where one or more persons intend to hunt them.

(3) Exceptions: Hunting on or over the following is not consid- ered an unlawful use of bait while hunting deer or elk:
(a) Farms or ranches where active agricultural operations including salt or mineral distribution for livestock, crop fields, orchards, vineyards, hay fields, haystacks, or pastures exist;
(b) Abandoned orchards or vineyards;
(c) Naturally occurring mineral deposits; or
(d) Food plots planted for wildlife and left undisturbed.

(4) A violation of this section is punishable as an infraction under RCW 77.15.160
 []

Version B

NEW SECTION

WAC 232-12-xxx Bait volume limits for the purpose of hunting deer or elk. (1) For the purposes of this section:
(a) "Bait" is any salt, grain, fruit, hay or other food-based at- tractant that could serve as a lure or attraction for deer or elk.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful to hunt for deer and elk using any type of bait placed, exposed, de- posited, distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for the purpose of attracting deer or elk to an area where one or more persons intend to
hunt them, if the volume of bait exceeds 10 gallons (1.34 cubic feet).

(3) Exceptions: Hunting on or over the following is not consid- ered an unlawful use of bait while hunting deer or elk:
(a) Farms or ranches where active agricultural operations includ- ing salt or mineral distribution for livestock, crop fields, orchards, vineyards, hay fields, haystacks, or pastures exist;
(b) Abandoned orchards or vineyards;
(c) Naturally occurring mineral deposits; or
(d) Food plots planted for wildlife and left undisturbed.

(4) A violation of this section is punishable as an infraction under RCW 77.15.160

Version C
NEW SECTION

WAC 232-12-xxx Baiting for the purposes of hunting deer or elk with exceptions.
(1) For the purposes of this section:

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful to hunt deer or elk using any type of bait placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for the purpose of attract- ing deer or elk to an area where one or more persons intend to hunt them.

(3) Exceptions:
(a) Hunting on or over the following is not considered an unlaw- ful use of bait while hunting deer or elk:
(i) Farms or ranches where active agricultural operations includ- ing salt or mineral distribution for livestock, crop fields, orchards, vineyards, hay fields, haystacks, or pastures exist;
(ii) Abandoned orchards or vineyards;
(iii) Naturally occurring mineral deposits; or
(iv) Food plots planted for wildlife and left undisturbed.
(b) Hunters that meet the requirements of a hunter with a disa- bility and possessing a valid disabled hunter permit as provided in RCW 77.32.237 and 77.32.238; or is sixty-five years old or older; or qualifies as a youth hunter and possesses a youth license; can use bait for the purposes of hunting deer or elk if the volume of bait
present is 10 gallons (1.34 cubic feet) or less.
(c) Hunters may use bait while hunting deer or elk on private lands with the express permission of the landowner if those lands are designated as within an urban growth area or a firearm restriction area by a county or municipal government and the volume of bait present
Is 10 gallons (1.34 cubic feet) or less.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 09:40:13 AM »
Thanks for the update. I could live with option B.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 09:43:30 AM »
I think option B is the lesser of the evils.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »
Thanks for the update.  If no change is not an option then option B is what I would chose.  I have sent my opinion of no change is needed and hope that in the end there is no change.

Thanks again for the update.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 10:34:52 AM »
I assume that by distributed that would eliminate the bait in an auto feeder.  if you have a 200 pound capacity auto feeder only the feed actually on the ground would count.  Hopefully the same would hold true for a gravity feeder as well, only the bait actually on the ground would count towards the ten gallons.  Another question I would have is could you bait all year and then remove it 10 days or whatever before the season.  Also I would be interested to know how many bait sites could you have.  Is it one site per lot, per acre or per what?

I still think they should make a rule for a specific area rather than restrict it statewide.  That is why they have GMUs, that way they can micromanage smaller areas.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]