collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A little info for an out of state hunter  (Read 4613 times)

Offline az_shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • None
  • Groups: None
A little info for an out of state hunter
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »
Hello all, obviously I'm new to the site but not new to the game. I'm from Arizona but my dad lives in Montesano. I am poking around looking for some info on a mule deer hunt I want to do in November in Washington this year with my dad. It would have to be a late season hunt because I have New Mexico and of course Arizona hunts in October and early November. I could care less if it's a rifle hunt or an archery hunt since it would be my tag as a non resident. All I'm trying to figure out is which unit should I hunt in? My dad just moved to WA a few years ago and has only hunted blacktail on the west side of the state, so he knows nothing of the central or eastern side. I'm not digging for secret spots, just trying to get an idea on where I could hunt late and still see deer and make it a good hunt as it would be my first big game hunt with my dad. I appreciate any info or help to get me started.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: A little info for an out of state hunter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 01:20:42 PM »
Only option you have for a muley with those dates in November, is an archery hunt over the counter.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
A little info for an out of state hunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
You'll need to wait a couple more months to see the 2015 regulations, but if it stays the same, you'll have four choices- Sinlahekin, Pogue, Manson, and Swakane (late archery season) There are other GMU's open, but none that have decent numbers of mule deer.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
Kind of misleading, bob.  With the tag (pending things stay the same) would allow him to hunt all of the above choices with his one general archery tag.

Offline az_shooter

• Pilgrim
    • None
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 08:51:57 AM »
Kind of misleading, bob.  With the tag (pending things stay the same) would allow him to hunt all of the above choices with his one general archery tag.

So are you saying that with one over the counter archery tag I would be able to hunt all the units or areas that Bob mentioned? Or would I be just limited to one unit? I greatly appreciate the help you guys have given so far.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »

So are you saying that with one over the counter archery tag I would be able to hunt all the units or areas that Bob mentioned? Or would I be just limited to one unit? I greatly appreciate the help you guys have given so far.

Over the counter archery tag gives you the ability to hunt any unit in the state that is open for late archery, which is pretty much all you'll get as far as OTC hunts in November. The GMU's Bobcat mentioned have good populations of mule deer, especially if the weather comes in to push them out of the high country.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 09:07:50 AM »
I forgot one unit- Wannacut (209). It's also open for the late archery season, or was, in 2014. Like I said, the 2015 regulations won't be available for a couple months, and some fairly major changes are expected this year.

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
I forgot one unit- Wannacut (209). It's also open for the late archery season, or was, in 2014. Like I said, the 2015 regulations won't be available for a couple months, and some fairly major changes are expected this year.
bobcat- do you know what is being looked at, that may change?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »
bobcat- do you know what is being looked at, that may change?

I think the changes will be mainly with the elk seasons, and not deer. I just wanted to mention that to him since he's from out of state and needs to know that you can't look at the 2014 seasons and expect it will be the same this year.

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »
Boy isn't that the truth, Thanks, I was nervous for a moment.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
In November you'll be limited to archery for an over the counter tag. And like was mentioned the 200 series units hold the best populations of mule deer. Also, everything will be 3 point minimum. I'd probably choose swakane (unit 250). It's got some nice bucks but it is very steep, bring chains for all 4 and a good 4x4 rig.

Offline az_shooter

• Pilgrim
    • None
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 09:45:40 PM »
Great, lotta good information from you all, I really appreciate everyone's help that's given it. Sounds like I got a good place to start my research and I need to wait for the 2015 regs to come out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal