collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunter Safety Course questions  (Read 15726 times)

Offline A4effort

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Re: Hunter Safety Course questions
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 09:49:35 PM »
My 9 year old daughter took it last year, and I agree on the muzzle control was the main focus. I taught her all the different ways to hold the rifle safely, but they were mainly looking for one controlled way of holding it thru the course, and it was with two hands, close to the body, muzzle straight up.

Offline Little Dave

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 10:02:11 PM »
As far as passing the class, either will work.  The best experience for a kid will be to enroll in one of the full week classes.  The classroom is an entirely different experience and a better way to coach him in safe handling, attitude of safety.

Offline danderson

• Hunter Education Instructor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • elkhornarchers
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 07:26:18 AM »

The best experience for a kid will be to enroll in one of the full week classes.  The classroom is an entirely different experience and a better way to coach him in safe handling, attitude of safety.   

:yeah:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 08:05:23 AM »
 :yeah:

When they're 8, the experience of firearm handling with others will slam home the importance of safety. I wouldn't do the online course for anyone unfamiliar with firearm handling and safety as everyday practice. When you make a mistake online it's just another mistake. When you make it in a class, you learn.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline lilhornhunter

• Pilgrim
  • Im Awesome!
    • Olympic Tree Hound Association
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
I took it last year and it was not as hard as I thought it would be! I actually thought it was easier than the tests I take in school :yike: even though the hard part is you have to get 16/40 answers correct but you can go with him to the classes and write that's what my dad did. and after the whole thing, the next day I think there is a final test which is the shooting range.

Thank you to my dad HornHunter1987 for everything you have helped me accomplish in my hunting and non hunting life. Love you so much!

Offline lilhornhunter

• Pilgrim
  • Im Awesome!
    • Olympic Tree Hound Association
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »
I mean you cant get more than 16 wrong
Thank you to my dad HornHunter1987 for everything you have helped me accomplish in my hunting and non hunting life. Love you so much!

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 08:59:16 PM »
i've been a hunter ed instructor for going on 7 years and here is my  :twocents  have them go to a classroom and take the week long course.  we teach ours around the first of May at Yelm High School.  Get the booklet well ahead of time and go through it with them over and over until they can recognize and decipher the terminology used (conservation vs. preservation, carrying capacity, muzzle control, etc...). Weather the student reads the test themselves or it is read to them they have to be able to grasp the concepts in the manual to pass and most do if they pay attention to the classroom curriculum.  as far as handling the firearms its not beneficial to the students to come into the class and not be familiar with firearms.  Why are you bringing a student to class to get their hunter ed certificate if you yourself are not familiar with firearms and cannot show them the basic fundamentals of safety ?  Muzzle control-always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction--that is most of what this course is about.  Think about the geometry of an 8 or 9 year old person...why would you have them carry the gun with the muzzle pointed upwards if others in the group are around?   i am over 6'2" tall....what do you think i see when i'm walking behind an 8 year old carrying a gun "safely" in either a shouldered or sling carry position ? all i see is the hole in the muzzle of the gun.  get them used to carrying it across their body with the muzzle pointed down at around a 45 degree angle with one hand on the fore-end and the other on the butt stock away from the trigger assembly.  The only reason they should have to lift the muzzle up is to either fire on identified game or aid in the loading/unloading of shells...and that angle should only be around 45 degrees and away from their hunting companions.
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »
just got the word that our class should be available on-line for registration March 18th.  Classes will be held at Yelm High School starting the week of May 4th.  We will be doing 2 classes at the same time so registration should be around 50 students.  It is a week long class with the culmination of range day that Saturday.  If you have any other questions please let me know.  text messages are fine

bryan

360 280-3853
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline ATM green head machine

• Hunter
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited and NWTF
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 04:52:59 PM »
it was super easy mine was a bubble test :tup: :tup: good luck

-ryan

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »
sorry I think he's a little to young  :(
maybe try again when he turns 10.
the courses are like 5 hours and its a lot harder to concentrate then the online course. you should get him a little notebook so he can write down what he learns in the course.
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 09:31:47 PM »
I passed mine at 8 years old. I did 100+ hours volunteer work during the field days at the Tacoma Sportsmans club and my dads been teaching there since he was 18 and he says a lot of kids that age pass the course and I remember seeing quite a few when I was there. Should be no problem if you work with him!
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 08:12:18 AM »
Go to the online study guide and print out the summary at the end of each unit and go over that info with your child. My 10 year old son had zero trouble with the class after he studied that info he missed 1 question on the test but the instructor re-asked it to him while he was grading his test and he answered it correctly that time. My 6 year old daughter wanted to get involved when we were studying and she could andwer about 75% of the questions I asked.
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 06:53:37 AM »
My 8 year old daughter took the in person class, it was much easier as it was like being in school, she got to read along and ask/answer questions.
Most importantly was the safe handling portions because she is pretty small and a full sized weapon was pretty difficult, but she got through the course.
The fact that Iand her sister were there with her helped also.
Just an FYI; I was corrected about what to call a firearm in a field course with one of my daughters. I called it a weapon and the instructor said this is a hunter safety class, It's firearm safety. I was in law enforcement at the time and was used to calling them weapons. If you think about it a weapon is for self defence classes.  :twocents:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 08:00:58 AM »
I've attached a study guide that we issue to our students prior to class.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »
My 8 year old daughter took the in person class, it was much easier as it was like being in school, she got to read along and ask/answer questions.
Most importantly was the safe handling portions because she is pretty small and a full sized weapon was pretty difficult, but she got through the course.
The fact that Iand her sister were there with her helped also.
Just an FYI; I was corrected about what to call a firearm in a field course with one of my daughters. I called it a weapon and the instructor said this is a hunter safety class, It's firearm safety. I was in law enforcement at the time and was used to calling them weapons. If you think about it a weapon is for self defence classes.  :twocents:

You will find that differnet instructor teams use "firearm" for different reasons.

For me weapon does not discribe a firearm although it can be a weapon.

Think of it like this, If you had a table of firearms and you told a student to pick up that weapon. They really would not know what firearm to pick up. But if you say bring me that 20 ga. shotgun than they know exactly what you want.

If you had a table with a shotgun , knife,crowbar, and stick on it and you told the student to pick up that weapon, most would bring you the shotgun, but in fact anything on the table could be made a weapon by a person.

If you call a student up, have them describe the items on the same table to the class and stand by for questions. Than ask "What is the most dangerous weapon up here. The corect answer would be the student. Since the student can make anything on the table a weapon.

The point.... is if the student miss handles the firearm it can become a weapon. But handled corectly and safely it is just a firearm like any other item we use to acomplish specific things. :twocents:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal