collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 9 new members appointed to WDFW Wolf Advisory Group  (Read 30243 times)

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 9 new members appointed to WDFW Wolf Advisory Group
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2015, 12:49:51 PM »
Thanks for the report.  Sounds like you will be a great fit for this group and have the right attitude for working with people that have different perspectives.  I think it is great if we can have ambassadors from our sport represent us in diplomatic and intelligent ways to non or even anti-hunting groups.  Don't worry about what the fringe folks on either side of the wolf issue think of you.  :tup:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »
Thanks for the info muledeer, that is good to know, glad to see you are on the group.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
I haven't read most of the comments here but I'll wade in and say this...

HSUS and the Sierra Club have NO BUSINESS being on this board. Their funding and orders come predominantly from out of state and their goals have NOTHING to do with what is best for Washington. If you want a bunch of folks in DC and California dictating things, those are the groups to get. Those two groups have done more to try and limit, stop, and destroy hunting in this country than just about any group. They interfere with habitat projects (ask the Ruffed Grouse Society what they think of the Sierra Club and their efforts to stop clear cutting of aspen trees), they interfere with wildlife management decisions, and they rule by initiative. You have no hound hunting here courtesy of those groups.

This group is also too heavily livestock oriented, though maybe that's needed to fight the above. But it would be nice to see more representation by hunters and outfitters.

At the very least if they are inviting national groups opposed to hunting it would have been nice to see the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation there in addition to Mule Deer Foundation and even a group like the RGS to represent bird hunters and their dogs as a counterweight.

I'm not happy with this "representation."    :twocents:

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »
As meetings happen with the WAG, I will try my best to make periodic entries here for you all that are interested in the process and what's going on.  A mediator has been brought on board, and I believe she will help make some progress in the processes we will be dealing with, mainly facilitating our ability to make decisions as a group.  No, it's not going to be easy, but it IS possible.  Our first meeting, in about a week, is going to be focusing on showing ALL groups how they do share similar concerns and have worked for like goals in the past.  Call it a "team-building" exercise if you want...it isn't the cure all, but we have to start by setting the rules, recognizing the playing field and the players, and knowing where we can most easily make some headway.
I agree with all of you on a couple of the groups represented, mainly HSUS and not understanding how they should or do have a role here...but, there are two groups that I have worked with on projects and know the members/leaders of, and they are actually on "our" side, although most of you would never believe it.
One example, and I'll start with a question first: How much do any of you really know about Wolf Haven International?  Do you know that, other than the Ruby wolf taken there last year, every other wolf there is a "captive born", "filming and production" wolf?  It surprised me that they openly said they would euthanize the Ruby wolf if she doesn't adapt, even though that would cost them many financial supporters by saying that.  Do any of you know that both the ladies that run WHI are active parts of hunting families?  They both grew up in hunting families, and their spouses are both active hunters.  They eat venison.  They have no issues at all with hunting, and see it as an American heritage and support it fully. 
When I was appointed to the WAG I decided I didn't want to go into the meetings with mis-conceptions if I could help it.  So, I decided to go and spend a few hours at WHI and learn everything I could about them as a business and individuals.  Granted, I still have my opinions on a few of the other groups in the WAG, but,, as they say, it is vital to "know your enemy".  Sometimes they aren't who we think they are.
This post may not gain me any friends here, but I'm only speaking from facts that I know first-hand, and they are good news for us as hunters.  I'll post more as things get rolling, and hopefully we will see some positive changes coming our way...

:tup:

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »
We need people with wisdom, discernment, a pro hunting perspective, and the ability to stand by his convictions.

Thank you for the feedback. :tup:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2015, 04:17:09 PM »

HSUS and the Sierra Club have NO BUSINESS being on this board. Their funding and orders come predominantly from out of state and their goals have NOTHING to do with what is best for Washington. If you want a bunch of folks in DC and California dictating things, those are the groups to get. Those two groups have done more to try and limit, stop, and destroy hunting in this country than just about any group. They interfere with habitat projects (ask the Ruffed Grouse Society what they think of the Sierra Club and their efforts to stop clear cutting of aspen trees), they interfere with wildlife management decisions, and they rule by initiative. You have no hound hunting here courtesy of those groups.

This group is also too heavily livestock oriented, though maybe that's needed to fight the above. But it would be nice to see more representation by hunters and outfitters.

At the very least if they are inviting national groups opposed to hunting it would have been nice to see the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation there in addition to Mule Deer Foundation and even a group like the RGS to represent bird hunters and their dogs as a counterweight.

Since we havent campaigned our economic value enough, that sort of weight falls on the livestock interests, which seem to much better at presenting their economic value.
RMEF

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2015, 07:56:44 PM »

ALL the groups that have real representation are ORGANIZED! Government LIKES to deal with BIG orgs like the 2 horrible ones you state because 1 they speak the same language, 2 they are organized, 3 they have $, 4 they represent  (or pretend to) a huge number of the population.

You may have a distaste for the number of cattle/sheep reps BUT they are all the things hunters are NOT... They may not have all the same interests as you and me BUT they are a LOT closer than the 2 Orgs you pointed out.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2015, 06:40:01 AM »

ALL the groups that have real representation are ORGANIZED! Government LIKES to deal with BIG orgs like the 2 horrible ones you state because 1 they speak the same language, 2 they are organized, 3 they have $, 4 they represent  (or pretend to) a huge number of the population.

You may have a distaste for the number of cattle/sheep reps BUT they are all the things hunters are NOT... They may not have all the same interests as you and me BUT they are a LOT closer than the 2 Orgs you pointed out.

If they get results great. I have big doubts.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2015, 07:13:27 AM »
Well for results you likely need a new Gov... I kind of think this whole fiasco has the makings of putting a lipstick on a pig.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
Well for results you likely need a new Gov... I kind of think this whole fiasco has the makings of putting a lipstick on a pig.
I agree. And some pigs are more equal than others....
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »
Be careful lip sticking that pig, you will get dirty and they like it.  Bureaucracy loves conflict, hiring more folks for the 'problem'.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2015, 08:54:06 AM »
All I see are two large groups with money battling it out. Everyone in the middle, who actually represent the majority and includes hunters, will have little say.

The problem for cattlemen in this state is they aren't as economically significant to the state as a whole as they are in places like Montana or Wyoming. The sense of urgency you got in those states isn't the same here and it's not just because of Liberal politics.

If this "Wolf Advisory Group" was seriously about the wants of the people you would have less representation from special interest groups on both sides.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:14:52 AM by AspenBud »

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/474272479287506/
  • Groups: Mule Deer Foundation-Life Member, NRA-Life Member, NWTF-Life Member
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the update and perspective Muledeer. Do they allow you to bring an assistant note taker/recorder to the meeting? If so sign me up  :chuckle:

Though I might put a muzzle on the HSUS rep. They have no business having a direct voice in our states "issues".

With the exception of this first meeting this month, these WAG meetings are open to the public.  I would encourage any of you to attend if you have the time to.  I hope to see a lot of hunters attend these meetings.  I know a lot of you don't believe it, but there is strength in numbers, and WDFW notices when an "organized" voice is present.  I guarantee you HSUS, DofW, Sierra Club and the like won't have many, if any supporters at the meetings, but we can.  I don't agree with them being there either, and I've already questioned their appointments there with WDFW.
As for other groups that aren't there, I don't know if they applied or not.  I hope they did, or will in the future, as we do need them present as well.  If you know someone with RMEF, RGS, or any other hunting based conservation groups, encourage them to apply next time the window opens.  In the meantime, the hunters that are on the group will do their best to represent all of us and our goals.  More to follow...
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/474272479287506/
  • Groups: Mule Deer Foundation-Life Member, NRA-Life Member, NWTF-Life Member
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
Thanks for the report.  Sounds like you will be a great fit for this group and have the right attitude for working with people that have different perspectives.  I think it is great if we can have ambassadors from our sport represent us in diplomatic and intelligent ways to non or even anti-hunting groups.  Don't worry about what the fringe folks on either side of the wolf issue think of you.  :tup:

I don't worry too much about the "fringe"...if I had thin skin I woulda left this forum long ago ;)
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline villageidiot

• Scout
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2015, 10:23:13 PM »
I've been on multiple groups. Anything over about 7 and nothing gets done.  With this massive group it's guaranteed all will happen is lots of discussion and no decisions ever made.
  Just how in the devil did these non hunter groups ever get considered since WDFW is funded primarily by hunters?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal