collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Conflict Reduction Goat Tags?  (Read 11791 times)

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Conflict Reduction Goat Tags?
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:52:30 AM »
Did anyone else notice that WDFW is trying to split Goat tags into 2 categories? I cant see were this is beneficial to hunters but I can see where this will help them charge another $6 or $15 for permit applications.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/2015/wsr_15-04-089.pdf
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Conflict Reduction Goat Tags?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »
Aimed at places like over on the peninsula where that guy got killed by the goat a couple years ago. Too much human/goat interaction. I'd rather see it done this way than have a bunch of the goats killed by shooters for population control.
Seems like it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.  They need to reduce the population. Which way is better?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:33:43 PM »
I like the idea myself, another opportunity to draw without losing your points, whats there to complain about.

Offline nwhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »
Seems reasonable to me and defenitely a win win for the guys who drew those tags last year without researching the hunt and drew a lesser quality hunt and now get their points back. Thats the part Im not sure I agree with but its ony a couple hunters, but they will probly draw again before I do, that I dont like.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
Seems reasonable to me and defenitely a win win for the guys who drew those tags last year without researching the hunt and drew a lesser quality hunt and now get their points back. Thats the part Im not sure I agree with but its ony a couple hunters, but they will probly draw again before I do, that I dont like.

Where did you see that the hunters from last year would have their points restored?

Online Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:23:22 PM »
I was one of the unsuccessful hunters from the Mt WA A hunt last year and it's my understanding I won't be getting my points back because the hunt was before the new rules were in effect.  Very disappointing but what do you do?  Glad to see those hunts not affect future guys points though, VERY limited access.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 04:23:56 PM »
I didn't realize that access was limited. I assumed the OP goat hunts were like all the other wilderness goat hunts.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:27:26 PM »
I didn't realize that access was limited. I assumed the OP goat hunts were like all the other wilderness goat hunts.

From what I remember about the hunts that were posted on here last year, there was issue with the proximity to hikers and the like.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
It sounds like with the new rules starting this year. Your normal points will not have a factor or be used to draw these new hunts.

So I am wondering if you draw under this new classification. If you can kill a goat under these new hunts and still kill another goat under the normal app's?
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
Looks like you can still only kill one goat:

Online Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 10:36:46 PM »
[/quo

The hunt itself was like other wilderness hunts I've done, beautiful, challenging and more fun than working. What wasn't expected was the lack of an established trail system throughout the area as exsists in other wilderness areas I've hunted, my bad.

Offline Bwana Bob

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 09:02:41 AM »
Did you just not see any goats to shoot or where they too close to hikers? Sorry you didn't get one.

Online Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »
After some scouting trips during the summer, I spent 3 of the 4 weekends before the season trying to find a way into the area the wdfw bio said the majority of the billies in the unit were located (backside of Mt Pershing), never made it. While doing all the scouting, I was communicating with a few Hunt WA members helping other tag holders or who knew the area, and I made a choice to change where I was going to hunt.  I had been trying to stay away from the Mt Ellinor trail because the bio wanted to avoid conflict between hunters and the hikers but I figured I could get to goat elevation and then go off trail to get away from the hikers, so the weekend before the opener, I bit the bullet and went up Mt Ellinor,bad idea, no place to go until you get closer to the top and then its only the SE face of the ridge between Ellinor and Mt WA until you get to a sheer rock face just before you get to WA.  In the sun most of the day and hot.  Was 10' from a nanny and kid the day before the season opened and then never saw another goat in an accesible spot the rest of the season.  Spoke to the bio after the season and he said they had expected 10 to 12 goats to be in the vicinity of the Mt Ellinor trail, WRONG.  One good thing, is that all the hikers I spoke with on the way up, and it was a lot, I probably saw 30 to 40 hikers that Sunday, understood or encouraged the hunting of the goats.  It was a good hunt, just not what was expected.  If anybody gets drawn for this permit and wants info, I'll try to help, just pm me.

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
Katmai,

Great effort on your part.
I summited the Brothers 3 times back in the day.
Rough area but full of goats near the top.
That is a rugged area and glad you kept yourself safe.

I have been fortunate enough to draw 2 goat tags back in the day.
Nothing more exciting then a good ole fashioned mt goat hunt !!!!
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Online Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 11:17:32 AM »
Thanks Falcon, the only thing I regret is doing it solo, nobody to talk to when glassing goats on other mountains. One hunter shot a goat out of the Brothers unit this year, according to the bio I  spoke to after the hunt.  Also, if it was easy, it wouldn't be called "hunting"  just don't know how many more hunts like this I have in me.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal