collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Outlaw the sale of Shed Antlers  (Read 35296 times)

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Outlaw the sale of Shed Antlers
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
Definitely a terrible idea to ban shed antler sales.  :bdid: :bdid: :bdid: :bdid: 

I never sell any of my sheds either, and I do feel your pain.  However, I strongly oppose more laws limiting our freedom and initiative.   As kids my brother and I spent all summer/weekends scouring the woods for a little income.  We sold huckleberries, Oregon Grapes, Mushrooms, and made walking sticks, crafts from birch bark etc...  I now run a little retail store, and we sell huckleberries for local pickers as well as huckleberry jams, and all kinds of other local crafts.  Some of my buddies sell their sheds.  That isn't why they hunt for them, but their wives aren't as tolerant of their antler piles as mine is.  We just love to get out in the woods, and hike around.  ( we don't use ATV's)  Being able to sell what they find is the excuse they need for spending their saturday's hiking instead of raking the yard. 

Really the bottom line is that we have way too many laws already.  We were poor growing up, and knocked about in the mountains all the time partly because we couldn't afford any other type of recreation.  The amounts of permits, tags, use fees, etc... one has to acquire nowadays is disgusting!  Not to mention simply buying gas for your rig makes a long saturday in the mountains far from free.   There are also plenty of laws already restricting where ATV's can go.  If people were actually following the laws we already have it wouldn't be an issue.  Like I said I do not use an ATV, but burn a ton of boot leather.   However, when i am old and feeble I don't want to be kept out of the backcountry I love so much because we all greedily only thought about our younger selves, and over-reacted to a problem that only exists because people aren't obeying laws already in place. 

If some family wants to sell some antlers, mushrooms, huckleberries, etc... to help pay for some family time in the mountains I am all for it.  Is that really what you want to outlaw?

Offline elkh8me

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »
I personally don't sell my antlers... But there is a lot of competition out there these days.. It might put an end to some of it.. Wouldn't be such a sought after product then.  I personally would be all for it... What do you all think?
Great idea!  Selling drugs is illegal too.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2015, 02:23:30 AM »
I think that all commercial exploitation of public lands should be permitted. Perhaps it already is? I always see the sign stating  "permit required for the removal of forest products".
I don't think a ban would be good, but some revenue to support enforcement might be good. Not that I'd expect the politicians to use the money wisely......
I'm for enforcing laws we currently have and finding funding for that enforcement from those participating in the activity needing oversight or at least from the same user group.
Maybe create permits and additional taxes for the "buyers" and or "distributors".

FYI - For many years commercial users of federal lands have been required to be permitted!  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]