collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sheep hunting options  (Read 17205 times)

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Sheep hunting options
« on: February 22, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
So I am in my early 30's and really would like to go on at least ones sheep hunt in my life. Even though I have been putting in for WA most of my life, I realize the odds are stacked against all of us here due to the number of hunters and lack of tags. I have tried to justify a Stone or Dahl sheep hunt, but there is no way I can drop $12k to $20k on a hunt.

My question is, which state(s) do you think I would have the best chance at drawing if I didn't mind putting in for next 25 to 30 years? I realize there is no guarantees, but I'm just looking to up my odds a little and give myself a chance to draw one sheep tag in my lifetime. I am currently putting in for Utah and Colorado, but bailed on Wyoming after they changed how non-residents draw or how many can draw. I have also been applying for moose in Idaho, but I'm thinking about switching to sheep since there is no preference point system and its all about the luck of the draw.

I dont want to know what specific units or hunts you guys are putting in for, rather just what state(s) you guys think have the best chance of drawing as a non-resident after applying for 25 to 30 years.  Any advice you guys are willing to share would be appreciated.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline fair-chase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Sheep hunting options
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »
Have you considered Montana's OTC units?

Offline longwalker

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
Over the next 25-30 years your odds are as good hear as anywhere and likly cheaper to apply for. The best odds around however are buying a life time membership to the wild sheep foundation. The hunt they give away at there banquet is the best odds anywhere

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:49:08 PM »
Over the next 25-30 years your odds are as good hear as anywhere and likly cheaper to apply for. The best odds around however are buying a life time membership to the wild sheep foundation. The hunt they give away at there banquet is the best odds anywhere
Ssss, lets keep that info to ourselves!! :chuckle: Kinda joking anyway.  See ya on the 7th?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 07:56:59 PM »
As far as moose goes, your best bet might be Idaho when it comes to draw odds.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »
Look at the raffle tags for this state. Your odds might be better with purchasing some of those rather than applying in other states. The "South Central" raffle tag, sold 1,491 tickets last year. If you bought ten, your odds are 1 in 149. Or buy 20, gets you down to 1 in 75. Much better odds than the draw, which overall is about 1 in 555 (not taking points into account). Yes it is $17 per ticket, so 20 tickets would be $340. But that still may be cheaper than applying in several other states every year. However, I really don't know because I've never looked into it. I just know the odds are too low and the cost too high for me to get into that game.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »
I think you can get a guaranteed tag in Alberta, but you have to hire a guide, because tags are issued to the guides.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:51:39 PM »
The best draw odds for sheep in the lower 48 is in Idaho.

Offline blacktail378

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:53:01 PM »
No pts in New Mexico. Might as well try :tup:

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »
Idaho is your best shot at a NR tag, no doubt. 

NM is sticking it to the non-resident DIY sheep hunters - thousands of applicants, and exactly 1 desert and 1 rocky tag available, and you get to front the $3K tag price for a few months while they earn the interest.  I won't give them my money. 

In all seriousness, if you're on the 25-30 year plan anyway, take that $500+/year you will spend in app fees across the west and save it for a dall sheep hunt.  Realistically, a 25-30 year plan may net you nothing in the draws given the way the western states are cinching down on NR tags.  But saving that money over time WILL get you a tag. 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »
The OTC tags in Montana encompass some of the toughest terrain in North America and many of veteran sheep hunters have walked away beat down and empty handed.  Just an FYI.  Its not impossible but should not be jumped into lightly.  Also, I do believe that it is the hunters responsibility to keep track on whether the quota has been met or not so a sat phone is a requirement so you can call in daily to check.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline blacktail378

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 09:10:41 PM »

NM is sticking it to the non-resident DIY sheep hunters - thousands of applicants, and exactly 1 desert and 1 rocky tag available, and you get to front the $3K tag price for a few months while they earn the interest.  I won't give them my money. 

In all seriousness, if you're on the 25-30 year plan anyway, take that $500+/year you will spend in app fees across the west and save it for a dall sheep hunt.  Realistically, a 25-30 year plan may net you nothing in the draws given the way the western states are cinching down on NR tags.  But saving that money over time WILL get you a tag.
good point coueshunter , forgot about that

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 09:13:41 PM »

In all seriousnress, if you're on the 25-30 year plan anyway, take that $500+/year you will spend in app fees across the west and save it for a dall sheep hunt.  Realistically, a 25-30 year plan may net you nothing in the draws given the way the western states are cinching down on NR tags.  But saving that money over time WILL get you a tag.
Applying for 30 years in a state with 1 in 200 odds gives you a 1 in 7 chance of being drawn. If you really want to hunt a specie like sheep, save your money and go.

A good idea might be to join Washington's Wild Sheep Foundation and meet some members. Their annual banquet is coming up soon.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
I know several guys who have killed sheep in the Montana unlimited areas, it can be done.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 09:31:57 PM »

Both my wife and myself are lifetime members and have been for a couple of years. I still plan on putting in for WA as well, but I have to think that our odds of drawing here only get worse every year.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]