collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Read the Situation #1  (Read 4233 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Read the Situation #1
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:52:52 AM »
So much of being a successful elk hunter is reading a situation correctly and reacting in such a manner that will potentially provide a shot opportunity.

Tale of the tape: You've worked uphill on a series of game trails, periodically hearing a bull bugle above you from before daylight, to where you sit now watching and hearing what is unfolding on the large bench. "Uphill" is directly to your front from where you now kneel. It's not quite 8:30 AM on this beautiful September morning, archery season, bull only tag, with minimal hunting pressure in this area.

Read the situation and tell us what you see and hear, and, what your move may be to take a bull home for dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIIGlRCw4wg
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: Read the Situation #1
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:22:57 AM »
It appears to me there is more then one bull in the area. Unless that's just a sound issue on the video. Also appears like that's a bull who is trying to move his cows out of the area.

If I was by myself I would likely turn my head and cup behind me a couple of excited cow elk estrus calls, and then try and move forward a few yards and wait.

I think that bull will think you are a cow lost in the mix and will try and scoop you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »
it looks way too open to call....if the caller can go back an get out of sight that maybe an option..some cow calls may go along way with this bull

If it's too open to call then I'd like to see where he's pushing those cows too and potentially what he is running from..he may be a satellite bull..sitting tight and letting them move a couple hundred yards and calming down may be the best thing..he will still be vocal and you should be able to slip in closer and pretend to be a lost cow that needs to be added to his collection..Esp since there is obviously compitition in the area for cows..

If there is a bigger bull in the area it would be nice to set up between to the two and see who wants you more...if yout have a 2nd caller you might be able to pretend the lesser bull is coming in and put the heat on the herd bull to come snag ya

Lots of options here

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »
yep , sounds like theres more than one bull,im locateing the widest tree then fall back about 20 yards give a few calls short and to the point then go back to the wide tree and listen for wen to give a lost calf call then im shootn the first four legged critter in range even if I got the bull tag im proud but also hungry ,would absolutely hope for horns though,probly try to get as close to the trail the cows took as to were that fat tree is !!well that's my quick take on take#1,,364 here I come ( barring any fires **/!!**##/ )now if I had the bull tag wouldn't the cow also be leagal for bow,? well if it wasn't im getting on the other side of the trail were the bulls passed that's were the other bulls are pssing or close to it !!whew !! almost sounded li9ke a poacher on that one, ( not with this crowd !! ) :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:38:30 PM by cryder »
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:50:02 PM »
Hard to tell whether the bull in the video is moving the cows away from the bugling bull we don't see or if the cows are the ones directing traffic this morning and the bull is just horny and chasing any cow. Either way though, I'm doing almost exactly what Silk said.  These elk aren't going to be here long and appear to be moving fast, so I'm acting now. Right now.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
My two cents.  The bugle heard is not the bull in the video. Move up just short of the trail the bull and cows used and wait.  Maybe a couple cow calls.  The bugling bull will be on this same trail trying to catch up.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:43:01 PM by Crunchy »

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »
What I see is two "hot" cows.  I don't believe they are ready to be bred but getting close, hence the chasing game.  If I'm not mistaken this large bench is their bedding area but with minimal hunting pressure the pursuit game goes on all day especially in their bedding area. I keep a close eye on him and move up as close to the game trail as cover and wind allow. If I can get between the two got cows with out a peep this is my first option as I see he has many distractions (the 2 pretty ladies along with competing bulls). With assuming I'm entering the bedding area I'm aware that things can and may change very quickly. Now I'm moving in the direction of the cow on the right (this is if the wind allows  or is drifting from left to right). I move towards her with the expectation of being busted by her(although I'm hoping she doesn't make me out).  Like I said before if he continues tending I wait and shoot.  If and when I get busted or if he begins to lose interest in the lady on the right (my sequence is the same in both cases) I rip out as loud of bugle as possible with nothing on the backside of it followed by a very excited cow call that transitions into almost a squeal. I follow this up with a series of chuckles. This should trigger a response, his response will dictate my next call but if he's not charging in and let's out another "get over here" bugle.  I scream a short but loud bugle right over the top of his, followed by a few chuckles. There are more scenarios that could evolve but this would be plan A.

Offline Spawnstar

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:46:54 PM »
My two cents.  The bugle heard is not the bull in the video. Move up just short of the trail the bull and cows used and wait.  Maybe a couple cow calls.  The bugling bull will be on this same trail trying to catch up.
Crunchy, exactly what I would do that Bulls going to come after those cows after he runs the other bull off. I would definitely get the move on before you miss your opportunity.
Romans 8:28 Semper Fi

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »
A few of you elk hunters touched on this.  Is the "seen" bull quite possibly a thief that has stolen threeish cows from another bull and is doing his best to get them out of the danger zone (herd bull's lair)?  Seems like this thief has successfully pushed two to the right and is trying to hook that third cow to the left that is trying to head back to her original bull's calls.  Thoughts?  Does this change your possible plan of attack? 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
If wanted to kill that bull in the video I would probably use some excited cow calls from right where I am.

If I wanted to kill the herd bull bugling in the timber I would circle around and get in tight and hit him with a challenge bugle (I'm assuming the big bull is in the darker timber I can see 100 yards away in the video).

I try not to overthink elk hunting.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
I'd cow call and then move three o clock twenty yards.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:53:11 PM »
Was the video zoomed Way in?  I don't see what the discussion is, I would have laced him when he stopped quartering hard. End of story.  :chuckle:

Otherwise, my plan would be very similar to Phelps. Although if that was a second bull in the timber I may skip calling to this bull entirely, unless I was quite certain I could get away with it without blowing the other bull out. Although the elk are amped and the bull is very susceptible, it's a tuff spot from a setup standpoint as a Solo caller.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal