collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Savage Axis II XP in .223 Rem.  (Read 2863 times)

Offline PiNkPaNtHeR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Savage Axis II XP in .223 Rem.
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:56:45 PM »
Anyone here shoot one or have any thoughts. Mine just arrived at the dealer & will plan on picking it up on Saturday. Kinda anxious to get zeroed in and do some shooting.
Maximum utilization of available resources.
Rule #1: Pay Attention
Semper Fidelis
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still (Taught to me by my cousin, Wayne)
"Did you ever wonder why God gave you Two ears and only one mouth?" (Also by Wayne.)

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
Re: Savage Axis II XP in .223 Rem.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »
Pretty decent rifle and probably one of the better ones for the $$.

My friends shot pretty well after he smoothed out the trigger a little. The pull, slack and break were ok, just a bit rough.
shoots sub .75 MOA but don't know what load he's pushing out of it.

As with all mass produced products, your results may vary.
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline PiNkPaNtHeR

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »
I couldn't wait until tomorrow - took a 1 1/2 hour lunch & picked it up. I guess we'll figure out what kinda ammo it likes soon. I'm kinda hoping for the 55-62 grain. I feel kinda funny thinking about shooting anything less than 55. I know - I know - really small bullets going really really fast.
Semper Fidelis
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still (Taught to me by my cousin, Wayne)
"Did you ever wonder why God gave you Two ears and only one mouth?" (Also by Wayne.)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:06:31 PM »
Look for savage axis trigger spring on google..  You can take the stock spring out and replace it with a spring from a ink pen.  Will take the 6.5# gritty trigger down to 3-4# and much smoother feel.

I did it on my Axis 308 and it really helped.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:49:49 PM by lamrith »

Offline Brad Harshman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
Keep us posted.  Also take your time and follow the recommended barrel break-in procedure.  I'm sure you'll want to shoot it for a long time. 

Offline PiNkPaNtHeR

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 02:22:18 PM »
Thanks guys. The Axis II has an accutrigger that's supposed to be adjustable down to about 2.5 pounds pull. I'll definitely lighten it up from the way it was shipped. Yeah - smooth is good.
Semper Fidelis

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
Ahh yeah, good point.  I ended up with the original Axis.  That new trigger is supposed to be pretty sweet right out of the box, you will love it.  I know even with my "bad old trigger" mine was easily sub MOA with plane jane PPU ammo.

Offline PiNkPaNtHeR

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »
It took 15 shots, but got her sighted in today. I didn't have time to go to the range, so sighted in right in the back yard at 67 yards. It's 1 1/4" high at 67 yards. I was guessing at the rate of bullet drop and settled for 1 1/4" right now using Federal bulk 55-grain FMJ.

Brad - I read the owner's manual from cover to cover. I think every imaginable warning was listed about 15 times each - again and again and again. Ugh! There was nothing mentioned about break-in. I suppose I should learn about that, but after owning about 20 rifles in my life and never having broken any of them in with an actual plan, I'm guessing I'm not too rough on them. First thing I did was to give the bore (and everything else) a quick cleaning before shooting the first round. Then, shooting 3 round groups started zeroing in with a good break (the time it takes to smoke a cigarette) between sets to let the barrel cool a little. It was 2 1/2 inches left and 1 1/2" high (at 67 yards) from the factory. Going a few clicks at a time, watched the pattern move to the right and then down a hair. After getting it set about where I wanted it, shot a final group of four in a vertical line about 7/8 inch high (spread). The first shot was a dead-on bulls-eye (1/8" high) and the last three were right where I wanted them - centered left to right and 1 1/4" high. I'll play with it some more as I get time, but for now it's at least as accurate as I am. I need to spend more time shooting. Now I have a good excuse.
I have mixed feelings on the scope. It took a while to get used to getting the exact right eye relief to get a full sight picture. I wear glasses and have experienced this a little bit before with other scopes, but this one confounded me for a little while before getting used to it. I will say it's the cheapest scope I own. I'll shoot with it for a while. If I can't get used to it, I'll definitely upgrade. It's a start and I'm confident I can place a bullet of the type I was shooting today within a 1" circle at 100 yards 7 out of 10 times (Prone or from a rest) - more with practice.
Last, but not least, this is the first gun I've ever owned with a plastic stock. I wanted to own at least one with a camo pattern, so this is what I got. I don't think it is offered in anything besides black or camo plastic. It feels a little cheap to me, but, as I said, this is the first plastic stock I have ever owned.

Having not shot a .223 for a lot of years, it was a real pleasure and I'm looking forward to shooting a few thousand rounds through it.
Semper Fidelis

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Mtnwalker
[Today at 05:24:30 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 05:23:46 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]