collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Predator Calling for Big Game  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Predator Calling for Big Game
« on: April 04, 2007, 10:01:34 AM »
Lions and bears.  I have called in two lions so far, one by accident during turkey season.  He came in to 30 or so feet.  The other I did not get to see but my partner did, I never heard it come in and we were calling bears.  This was up near Dry Canyon Road just east of Ione.  For bears I have had the great fun of calling in 14 bears....that I know of and have taken three of those.  I wondered if you other guys have had similar experiences that I have and if you think the Fred Moyer theory holds water.  I call non-stop for at least 45 minutes with a fairly coarse call.  Most of the bears I have "Heard" coming to the call have been brusiers.  The bears that have suddenly appeared have been mostly on the smaller side.  My theory is the big bears are either trying to intimidate whatever is eating whatever is screaming or they don't care and come barreling in.  The smaller bears come in cautiously because they want to check out who is eating whatever is screaming and don't want to run in and get their butts kicked.  What do you guys think?
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Predator Calling for Big Game
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 06:52:20 AM »
How did I miss this post?
I have not called in any cougars that I know of, but I do call in cougar country.
As for bears, I have called in over 2 dozen and half of my 14 kills have been with calls.

I would have to mostly agree with your "theory" (when did you develope it? 'cause I have developed the same theory, ..so if you can tell me the exact date and time, then I will tell you when I came up with it as well...LOL)

A couple instances of difference.
I have had small sows come in angry and teeth popping (I am assuming they think a cub is being hurt) as well as having a 7ft 400lb+ boar come in silently while using a predator call.

Now when using a cow/calf elk call both sows and boars have come in silently
one big boar was "heel-toeing" it.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:43:19 AM »
I have had more come in on the run than sneaking.  I haven't developed any theorys yet besides keeping a spare pair of shorts in the truck. :chuckle:

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 03:58:14 PM »
Yea the theory is only "most" bear that I have called in.  I have also had a couple respond differently.  Not a hard and fast rule.  I would say I've been thoeorizing this way for 5 or 6 years :)

I do think we call in more cats then we ever see or know was there, :)  that's also just a theory of mine :)

One of the first couple of bears I ever called in gave me a good scare.  I was calling by myself, first thing I heard was some pine needles being stepped on behind me.  I turned slowly and there was a smaller bear doing the steely eye thing.  It was way too small to shoot so I whispered at it to git.  It lowered it's body slightly and stepped foward a bit, so I stood up.  It was only about 14 to 15 yards at that point.  When I stood up and talked to it, it pinned it's ears back so I hit it with a shot of pepper spray and it left from there.  I still don't think it recognized what I was.
Fred Moyer

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 05:20:55 PM »
I haven't developed any theorys yet besides keeping a spare pair of shorts in the truck. :chuckle:
LOL
The only thing I know...is that you never know when or where they will appear. I have had them show up within seconds as well as hours later.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:54:44 AM »
Ain't that the truth.  You sure don't fall asleep while calling.  I always put a watch in front of me where I can see it without moving much.  I call up to an hour and that can seem like forever if you don't have a watch.  Also calling with a friend helps, one guys calls and then when he gets tired the other guy starts in.  First bear I ever shot while predator calling, I looked right and then slooowly turned my head back tot he left and he was standing there 13 yards looking at me!  I kept calling and slowly raised my rifle and shot him between the eyes.  The guy sitting behind me jumped three feet in the air.  He never heard him come in and neither did I.  He was a 225 pound boar.
Fred Moyer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]