collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Read the Situation #2  (Read 1915 times)

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Read the Situation #2
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
Tale of the tape:  OTC Montana archery elk tag/bull only, 26 September, solo hunt.  Nice job! You've successfully called in this respectable satellite right by your current position (you're on your knees at the 6:00 o'clock position, 35 yards from the bull with good cover to your back). There are a handful of elk in this somewhat flat bottomed, pretty wide, semi open SW Montana draw, including one very large herd bull. Thermals are blowing gently downhill from your right to left; it's 0830 in the morning. Home boy has obviously had a mud bath in one of the several active wallows, further down the draw, on his way from the night time feeding area to the bedding area which is where he is heading now. This bull came in "quick" from left to right, bugling several times in response to your calling, stopped, and unfortunately you missed the opportunity to draw/shoot between the :02 to :06 mark on the VID (rats, now a relatively easy shot became much tougher and... he's assumed the "who blinks first" posture"). That's all you get. 

Read the situation and tell us what you see and hear, and, what your move may be to take a bull home for dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oyxImh_yU0
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
Re: Read the Situation #2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:17 PM »
I think we shot this bull last year; wondering whether my response today is the same as last time.

First, I'm a dork for having missed the opportunity while his head was turned.  I don't think he'll stick around very long given that he came in quick and there is a herd bull and cows that otherwise have his attention, though I have seen satellites just stand around for long periods of time. Probably out of frustration.

Therefore, I'll give him just a few seconds to move. Then I'm drawing and rising up a bit in one smooth motion (ha) to clear that limb. If he's still staring, I'm shooting low, assuming he's jumping the string.

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:00:29 PM »
We did Shawn, but he's back again this spring..... good eye :)
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 04:48:33 PM »
We must not have slain him last year! Maybe this year's tactics will put him in the freezer.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
Well I obviously blew it by not drawing with his head turned and now I am hoping he turns again so I can draw.  I am sure if I stand and draw he is gone but maybe I can stop him with a cow call as he spins left and get a shot quartering away.  I would say odds of getting a shot at this guy are below 5% no matter how it goes.  So what I am saying is "you have a chance."
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 05:26:42 PM »
Sounds like a few soft mews, then another bull starts to bugle and he immediately screams over the other bull.  Other bull sounds a ways off.  May or may not come in to this bulls challenge.  Being solo (and me being new) This bull in my face is plenty big enough and needs to be in my pack heading to the truck..

Stay in position ready to draw and hope he either turns away again or bugles in your face.  If he throws it in your face try to use his bugle to cover any sound and his nose up to try and cover your draw motion.  There is about a second and a half at peak of bugle to give it a try (like :11 to :12).  Try to move smooth and fluid like he does during bugle, use his movement to mask yours..  Putting it right on the red dot.  Arch of shot @ 35yrds should clear the big branch no problem.  At least near lung is gone, most likely the other side also.  Hope you got clothespin for your nose because that mud is going to reak!

All else fails and he busts, time to turn toward that herd bull and assume THIS bulls place in the elkwoods.  Close in and either call like you are stealing his girls, or pretend to be one of his girls that this bull was trying to steal.

If he starts to bust would maybe a nervous grunt work to freeze him?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal