collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Griz in the Cascades  (Read 25991 times)

Offline Windwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Griz in the Cascades
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 08:35:30 PM »
They can reintroduce Grizzlies as long as they reintroduce bear hunting like it use to be.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »
They can reintroduce Grizzlies as long as they reintroduce bear hunting like it use to be.

I can't even imagine having hunting days of old................cool picture by the way...
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 09:16:21 PM »
After 8 years (summer seasons average 100-130 days) in Alaska working in grizzly country every day (total of around 1000 days), my bear paranoia went like this.

Year 1, carried a 44 mag and could hardly work.
Year 2, worked Ok 44 mag on hip but very nervous.
Year 3, worked easy and hardly thought about the bears
Year 4 -8, 44 mag in back-pack and loaded with bird shot for ptarmigan.

I saw grizzlies a total of less than 20 times. Black bears regularly.

Offline Windwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 10:48:09 PM »
After 8 years (summer seasons average 100-130 days) in Alaska working in grizzly country every day (total of around 1000 days), my bear paranoia went like this.

There is a huge difference between an avid outdoorsman and a highway of REI gear/food toting families from Seattle wandering around on trails for a weekend.

If they dropped them off 100 miles from the nearest house is different from transplanting them where they salivate at the smell of beef in the lower pastures.
Not that they would do that- or threaten cattlemen / home owners with felony arrest for defending themselves.

And keep in mind the numbers they want for "a healthy grizzly bear population in the North Cascades"- "Although a viable grizzly bear population number cannot be exactly specified at this time, scientists currently estimate that it may be comprised of between 200 to 400 bears."

In Montana:
Can people shoot grizzly bears that are threatening livestock after delisting?
No. Because all three states plan to classify grizzlies in the GYA as game animals, state laws make it illegal for citizens to shoot or injure grizzlies, unless they are threatening human lives.
All such mortalities count against the mortality limits set in the Conservation Strategy so these mortalities will be strictly controlled in order to stay below the mortality limits. Outside of the national parks, grizzly bear/livestock conflicts will be addressed by State wildlife managers under procedures outlined in the Conservation Strategy.   

"Ruling in the case of a Montana rancher who lost 84 sheep in a single month to marauding grizzlies, the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals held that there is no constitutional right to defend property against wildlife protected under federal law."

Meanwhile $1.000 later in Idaho- ( I admit this guy may have been trigger happy, but he thought his kids were outside)
COEUR d'ALENE - The U.S. Attorney's Office in Boise announced Wednesday it is dismissing the pending misdemeanor criminal charge against Jeremy M. Hill for the killing of a grizzly bear on his Porthill property on May 8.

"After having family over for dinner on Mother's Day, I was outside at the basketball hoop with four of my children. I went into the house to take a shower. When I finished showering and was getting dressed, my wife, Rachel, looked out the bedroom window and saw three grizzly bears at the edge of our yard, but very close by, standing near a small pen that held the children's 4-H pigs. The last time I saw my children they were outside. I grabbed a rifle and ran out on the deck. I yelled for the children, but did not hear a response. The bears did not move away from the pen as I was yelling. Fearing for the safety of my children, I shot the bear that was closest to the house. The other two bears ran across part of the lawn and into the brush."

Regulations prohibit removing nuisance bears, except when authorized by government authorities. Hill, who pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court in Coeur d'Alene last month, has been issued a notice of violation and paid a $1,000 fine.

Wait, don't eat my children - I have to call Fish & Game!

"The United States Attorney's Office well understands Mr. Hill is a concerned husband and father who wants to protect his family," said Olson. "Anyone who observes or hears of a grizzly bear near campsites or residences must immediately contact fish and wildlife officials."

As if WDFW isn't already over burdened.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 11:45:06 PM »

There is a huge difference between an avid outdoorsman and a highway of REI gear/food toting families from Seattle wandering around on trails for a weekend.

If they dropped them off 100 miles from the nearest house is different from transplanting them where they salivate at the smell of beef in the lower pastures.
Not that they would do that- or threaten cattlemen / home owners with felony arrest for defending themselves.

And keep in mind the numbers they want for "a healthy grizzly bear population in the North Cascades"- "Although a viable grizzly bear population number cannot be exactly specified at this time, scientists currently estimate that it may be comprised of between 200 to 400 bears."

In Montana:
Can people shoot grizzly bears that are threatening livestock after delisting?
No. Because all three states plan to classify grizzlies in the GYA as game animals, state laws make it illegal for citizens to shoot or injure grizzlies, unless they are threatening human lives.
All such mortalities count against the mortality limits set in the Conservation Strategy so these mortalities will be strictly controlled in order to stay below the mortality limits. Outside of the national parks, grizzly bear/livestock conflicts will be addressed by State wildlife managers under procedures outlined in the Conservation Strategy.   

"Ruling in the case of a Montana rancher who lost 84 sheep in a single month to marauding grizzlies, the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals held that there is no constitutional right to defend property against wildlife protected under federal law."

Meanwhile $1.000 later in Idaho- ( I admit this guy may have been trigger happy, but he thought his kids were outside)
COEUR d'ALENE - The U.S. Attorney's Office in Boise announced Wednesday it is dismissing the pending misdemeanor criminal charge against Jeremy M. Hill for the killing of a grizzly bear on his Porthill property on May 8.

"After having family over for dinner on Mother's Day, I was outside at the basketball hoop with four of my children. I went into the house to take a shower. When I finished showering and was getting dressed, my wife, Rachel, looked out the bedroom window and saw three grizzly bears at the edge of our yard, but very close by, standing near a small pen that held the children's 4-H pigs. The last time I saw my children they were outside. I grabbed a rifle and ran out on the deck. I yelled for the children, but did not hear a response. The bears did not move away from the pen as I was yelling. Fearing for the safety of my children, I shot the bear that was closest to the house. The other two bears ran across part of the lawn and into the brush."

Regulations prohibit removing nuisance bears, except when authorized by government authorities. Hill, who pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court in Coeur d'Alene last month, has been issued a notice of violation and paid a $1,000 fine.

Wait, don't eat my children - I have to call Fish & Game!

"The United States Attorney's Office well understands Mr. Hill is a concerned husband and father who wants to protect his family," said Olson. "Anyone who observes or hears of a grizzly bear near campsites or residences must immediately contact fish and wildlife officials."

As if WDFW isn't already over burdened.
Interesting, I would have done the same thing I think.  What is this obsession with protecting wildlife that they think is so endangered yet so dangerous in certain areas and numerous in different places.  Just because they are not common here doesn't mean they are endangered.  We don't have the room for a large or medium population of grizzly's in Wa.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 07:19:21 AM »

[/quote]Interesting, I would have done the same thing I think.  What is this obsession with protecting wildlife that they think is so endangered yet so dangerous in certain areas and numerous in different places.  Just because they are not common here doesn't mean they are endangered.  We don't have the room for a large or medium population of grizzly's in Wa.
[/quote]

Well going to be the devils advocate here and use the reasoning of the opposing side.  Yes we do have room just have to keep the people out of the bears habitat areas by closing portions of the Paysayten Wilderness and the North Cascades National Park.
Unless you are wearing blinders and have your head totally up your --- you can see a closing of the Park and wilderness during certain times of the year AFTER the bears have been RE INTRODUCED  for public safety reasons
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 07:43:16 AM »

Brian Patrick of the UW got munched on when he was working in the Brooks Range under Peter Misch

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »

Interesting, I would have done the same thing I think.  What is this obsession with protecting wildlife that they think is so endangered yet so dangerous in certain areas and numerous in different places.  Just because they are not common here doesn't mean they are endangered.  We don't have the room for a large or medium population of grizzly's in Wa.
[/quote]

Well going to be the devils advocate here and use the reasoning of the opposing side.  Yes we do have room just have to keep the people out of the bears habitat areas by closing portions of the Paysayten Wilderness and the North Cascades National Park.
Unless you are wearing blinders and have your head totally up your --- you can see a closing of the Park and wilderness during certain times of the year AFTER the bears have been RE INTRODUCED  for public safety reasons
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 [/quote]Yup, that is probably what will happen, less area to hunt or hike in. Less hunting in the wilderness......
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:44:31 AM by trophyhunt »

Online The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »
do you really think the bears will no to stay in that portion of the pasayton or national park. maybe your joking

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
do you really think the bears will no to stay in that portion of the pasayton or national park. maybe your joking
from what I've read it seems we are on the same page, I am NOT for bringing these bears back, anywhere.  They will go where ever they want to once they need new territory.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 04:46:18 PM »
Unsworth will help out....................
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Windwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 06:39:15 PM »
Ya know thats gotta suck being a bear. Tipping picnic baskets and sniffing flowers one day-
Then a group of A-holes shows up and BAM  :yike: - shoots a big fat dart in your keister.

Wake up with a sore butt and a collar in a trailer going to who knows where.
No wonder they get grouchy when they see people.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:55 PM »
Unsworth will help out....................

Officials debate way forward on grizzly bear management

"The Kootenai, Idaho Panhandle and Lolo national forests last week released a new grizzly access plan for the Cabinet-Yaak and Selkirk grizzly areas in response to another long-simmering court case. The plan may close more than 100 miles of backcountry roads over the next eight years, and could face new legal challenges from off-highway vehicle users who want to maintain their own access".

http://missoulian.com/news/local/officials-debate-way-forward-on-grizzly-bear-management/article_4aae18ae-1e08-11e1-9852-001871e3ce6c.html

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
They debate a way forward, but they don't debate that it's going forward. 

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 04:48:45 PM »

Complacency kills, lucky you didn't go back for year 9.  :bdid:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal