collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Griz in the Cascades  (Read 25995 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Griz in the Cascades
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »
After 8 years (summer seasons average 100-130 days) in Alaska working in grizzly country every day (total of around 1000 days), my bear paranoia went like this.

Year 1, carried a 44 mag and could hardly work.
Year 2, worked Ok 44 mag on hip but very nervous.
Year 3, worked easy and hardly thought about the bears
Year 4 -8, 44 mag in back-pack and loaded with bird shot for ptarmigan.

I saw grizzlies a total of less than 20 times. Black bears regularly.

Complacency kills, lucky you didn't go back for year 9.  :bdid:

apply the same flawed logic to concealed carry, it's very similar.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 08:12:13 PM »
Does the name Timothy Treadwell belong somewhere in this discussion?

Published on Nov 5, 2012
Audio of Attack of Timothy Treadwell and friend Amie Huguenard on 6 Oct 2003. ....Warning! Extremely Graphic and Disturbing Audio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lCkFygaaQ
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 08:18:31 PM »
I guess I'm not following how. I haven't read of anyone on here doing what he did.

"Treadwell was known for getting extremely close to the bears he observed, sometimes even touching them and playing with bear cubs. "
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »
I guess I'm not following how. I haven't read of anyone on here doing what he did.

"Treadwell was known for getting extremely close to the bears he observed, sometimes even touching them and playing with bear cubs. "
Numerous photos on hiking sites where hikers try to get close to bears (even though they may be black bears--for now) and get the bear in the background of their selfies.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 09:31:42 PM »

That comment was in regard to complacency around grizzlies.

After 8 years (summer seasons average 100-130 days) in Alaska working in grizzly country every day (total of around 1000 days), my bear paranoia went like this.

Year 1, carried a 44 mag and could hardly work.
Year 2, worked Ok 44 mag on hip but very nervous.
Year 3, worked easy and hardly thought about the bears
Year 4 -8, 44 mag in back-pack and loaded with bird shot for ptarmigan.

I saw grizzlies a total of less than 20 times. Black bears regularly.

Complacency kills, lucky you didn't go back for year 9.  :bdid:

apply the same flawed logic to concealed carry, it's very similar.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline longstevo

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »
Could have swore I saw one down at Mt Adams about five years ago. Biggest sumbeech I'd ever seen.

Anybody else run across something like that down there. It was around Keenes.

A griz around Mt. Adams...?   :dunno:
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 09:55:58 PM »
IMO there's complacency, then there's Timothy Treadwell. He was on a whole different level.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 04:05:50 AM »
Unsworth will help out....................

Officials debate way forward on grizzly bear management

"The Kootenai, Idaho Panhandle and Lolo national forests last week released a new grizzly access plan for the Cabinet-Yaak and Selkirk grizzly areas in response to another long-simmering court case. The plan may close more than 100 miles of backcountry roads over the next eight years, and could face new legal challenges from off-highway vehicle users who want to maintain their own access".

http://missoulian.com/news/local/officials-debate-way-forward-on-grizzly-bear-management/article_4aae18ae-1e08-11e1-9852-001871e3ce6c.html
It's all about control.............. greenies  love to close access and Pugetropolis is loaded with them. (look what they elected for governor)
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 07:44:06 AM »
There are already grizz here.  You generally have to step away from your wheeler or tracked vehicle to find them though.   They tend to be a lot more shy around people then our other carnivore friends. Be thankful for that.   The biggest limiting factor here for grizz is food for them.   Not a real big deal.  My biggest gripe was when proposed in the past it was nuisance bears captured that they intended to release.  Not a great idea.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 08:06:20 AM »
Here's the direct link for comments: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?documentID=64266

"The full impact of wolves on the ungulate herds of WA state hasn't been fully realized and won't for many years, as their spread across the state continues. Introducing grizzlies in to the No. Cascades at this point in time puts at jeopardy the lives and livelihoods of many Washingtonians who depend on hunting to maintain their way of life. Until such point as the WA wolf plan reaches its established goals and the effectiveness of game management on wolf populations is analyzed, the introduction of another apex predator would be foolhardy. Pandering to those who would have all humans out of the woods and hunting no longer allowed is a big mistake and a costly one. Please don't consider this program until the actual impact of wolves if fully realized. Thank you for your consideration of my comments."
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »
Well the "Meeting" was what I would call a joke unless you wanted to stand around and listen to a bunch of USFWS folks spout a bunch of lies.
 To me it is extremely funny that the North Cascades Ecosystem and Grizzly Bear recovery Zone 1 has the same damned boundaries as the North Cascades International Peace Park that the Feds tried to jam up our --es back in the 80's and 90's.

Why the feds even have these meeting is a wonder to me they are going to do what they damned well please regardless of what the locals and citizens want or how they feel.

Oh and no there was no actual presented lecture Just a bunch of federal employees drawing overtime.
 Guess it is time to reload the 06 with 220 grain bullets instead of the 180's and aim for gut shots.....
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Windwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »
 Do they still have the 4 zones?
Remember some of that from the last go around. Varying human intervention criteria depending on the zone.   

Zone 1- Amounted pure Grizzly habitat and any human that disturbed them was in for a hassle/fine regardless if they ate you or not. 
Zone 2- If you got eaten they would take it under advisement - may or may not be a problem (for the bear) but a good likely hood of a fine if it choked when he ate you.
Zone 3 They would begrudgingly look into the circumstances - fines are a given and they may move the bear if its grumpy.
Zone 4 Included Baker Lake and low land areas. You could protect yourself but someone better have teeth marks to prove just cause for shooting.  And yes they are allowed to eat your horse, cattle, dogs, cats, chickens & pigs. 

All I see is one map with a big chunk outlined.
http://www.conservationnw.org/what-we-do/wildlife-habitat/north-cascades-ecosystem-grizzly-bear-restoration-plan-environmental-impact-statement

Haven't found details about one of the Idaho releases years ago but heard plenty. Which is the main reason I am leary about all of this.
Went something like this.

Guy got stopped by a road block of troopers on a road to the back country. Campers pulling trailers are let out. Talks to a few of them and finds out they went in and rousted the campers in local parks and told them they had to vacate. Nothing to see here.

Sees trucks and trailers up the road. Is told to vacate.
Grunts and yea well we'll see about that. Hides the rig and bush whacks to see what is up.
Watches them unload 13 or 14 bears (turns out they were problem park bears) and were released by a park!

Several got into livestock and others wandered into some local barn yards etc.

Word gets out and loggers/locals swap their 30-30 lever guns for 300-338 mags.

Bear problem 'goes away' in a couple of weeks.
Officials are bent and out to hang anyone, mum is the word.
Locals are bent and no longer trust anything said about bear release programs.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 07:00:40 PM »
Have been thinking about this for the last couple of hours and all of a sudden I think I remember that the International Peace park was a UN agenda item. Will have to see about digging up some of the old articles.

The map outlined in the above post by windwalker is the Grizzly bear recovery zone 1 other areas are over in ID, MT WY.
THis map is also the outline of the North Cascades International Peace Park of the 80 's and 90's

JUst a quick search of the old maps sorry not better

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:19:36 PM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:49 AM »
Seems to me it was an al gore project. 

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 05:37:21 AM »
They have always had a presence in Wa. I saw sign and scat of one in Storrey Creek area in the Teanaway back in the early 90s that was confirmed by the WDFW. One had also made its way along the cascades near Mt Rainier/Mowich area and was confirmed by scat/hair samples around the same time, My wifes uncle is a retired gamey and confirmed it as well.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal