collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey advice  (Read 7032 times)

Offline darrickcale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Darrick Rongholt
Turkey advice
« on: February 26, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. My name is Darrick and I am from the Everett area. I am relatively new to hunting, but have been involved in deer hunting with my step dad for the last 3 years. I am interested in starting to turkey hunt, and am looking for some general advice about locations and techniques. I have all my tags and plan on going on my first hunt this April. I plan to head to Eastern WA, possibly around Colville since a few of the posts on here say that the area is good. I appreciate anyone who reads or replies to my post. Thanks!

Offline Jarhead Chase

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NDA
Re: Turkey advice
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 09:11:11 PM »
I have seen literally dozens of turkeys at one time in Colville while driving through. Hopefully it pays off for you. I have been debating on whether or not to do the same.
There is something just indescribably painful about being stuck behind a prius on the interstate.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
Colville is Turkey central for the state! Fire away with any questions you have lots of help on this site.

Offline packmule

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 07:37:04 AM »
A few thoughts that may help you on your way:

(1) Get ready to have fun! Turkey hunting is a blast.
(2) Get a CD or DVD and learn about turkey vocalizations.  If you can master a yelp, cluck and purr you'll do just fine.
(3) Get a box call or slate call and practice!  If you can also work with a mouth call you'll be miles ahead.
(4) Get out there and refer to #1.

Good luck!

Offline Jarhead Chase

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
As someone who is also new to turkey hunting, here are a few questions for near Colville:

1) Ground blind or walk/listen/call?

2) Suggestion for brand/type of box or slate call?
There is something just indescribably painful about being stuck behind a prius on the interstate.

Offline Jarhead Chase

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:46:32 AM »
I've been successfully hunting turkey for approximately 20 years and can say I'm still learning every year. It's deffinately a fun and addictive hunt.

Best pointers I can give is practice calling before getting in the woods.

Get in the woods as early and as often as you can. Listen to the birds and imitate what you hear. The birds get pretty vocal in the AM. Early, Early AM.

I only hunt public land so I'm moving a lot. I carry a piece of camo cloth to throw up a blind pretty quick, but rarely us it.

Learn to use a lot of different brands and types of calls. I've walked into areas and had no responce to a call, change it up and get several responses. If I get busted by a bird I go back the next day with a different call.

Get off the road! I see guys driving up and down calling and getting no responce. I walk in a couple hundred yards and get redponces.

Learn to sit still for long periods. I've had to retrieve a lot of birds with one leg numb from sitting in one position to long.

If you run into another hunter working an area, back out. Do not call to birds someone else is working!

Take a kid. They love turkey hunting.

Bring your tick spray. I'm not sharing mine. :)

Good advice. Thanks.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »
I've been successfully hunting turkey for approximately 20 years and can say I'm still learning every year. It's deffinately a fun and addictive hunt.

Best pointers I can give is practice calling before getting in the woods.

Get in the woods as early and as often as you can. Listen to the birds and imitate what you hear. The birds get pretty vocal in the AM. Early, Early AM.

I only hunt public land so I'm moving a lot. I carry a piece of camo cloth to throw up a blind pretty quick, but rarely us it.

Learn to use a lot of different brands and types of calls. I've walked into areas and had no responce to a call, change it up and get several responses. If I get busted by a bird I go back the next day with a different call.

Get off the road! I see guys driving up and down calling and getting no responce. I walk in a couple hundred yards and get redponces.

Learn to sit still for long periods. I've had to retrieve a lot of birds with one leg numb from sitting in one position to long.

If you run into another hunter working an area, back out. Do not call to birds someone else is working!

Take a kid. They love turkey hunting.

Bring your tick spray. I'm not sharing mine. :)

:yeah:

Great advice.  I second the tick spray.  My first year I didn't know how many ticks there were in April but found out! 

Offline Oliverharrelson

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »
As someone who is also new to turkey hunting, here are a few questions for near Colville:

1) Ground blind or walk/listen/call?

2) Suggestion for brand/type of box or slate call?

Cody makes great pot type calls. Check out the woodsman series slate or glass surface. For a box call I would reccomend a lynch fool proof.

Offline Seatown5

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 09:41:27 AM »
Definately no ground blind. Half the fun of Turkey hunting is chasing them around the mountains. blinds are for deer and bows. Get some good camo. I have killed turkeys ten yards from me, while having my back to a tree and nothing else for cover.
If it looks fishy, fish it. If it doesn't look fishy, fish it anyway!

Offline bigbeamhunter

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
Be where turkeys are at 4:30 am a couple days or so ahead of time find a good place you can listen they will tell you where they are. dont disturb them by calling just remember the spot. find several spots like that..

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 09:20:14 PM »
Full camo including face mask or face paint, yes they can see very very good including color. Get a locator call, crow call owl hooter peacock. Pattern your gun and shoot it at 20 30 40 yards to check how your pattern does at each yardage to find your maximum effective range. When scouting don't call using hen calls use a locator call. The wife and I hunt run and gun style lots of walking and a little calling unless you have birds roosted of course. Go have fun and learn I learn every year the day I stop learning while chasing these birds I guess it won't be any fun.

Offline whichwaydidhegogeorge

• Pilgrim
  • I Journey
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 05:41:10 AM »
People talk about Colville because it appears to be low hanging fruit.  My experience there last year taught me otherwise.  When you hunt there you're not hunting turkey, you're hunting for permission to hunt yard decorations. :chuckle:

Read a couple of my posts about it from last year and you will understand what I mean.  If you are still set on Colville then here is a freebie.  Aladdin Rd.  There are not dozens of turkey, there are hundreds.

My impression of Colville from last year is the following: The land is awesome, the people are really nice (even when telling you no), the deer are suicidal/landscapers, and the turkey are the epitome of frustration.

Permission is easily gotten if you're an elderly gentleman or a small group of gals.  If you are younger able bodied guy, you will probably get told to kick rocks (in a polite manner).  A lot of the ranchers are paid off by Outfitters for private access, so be prepared to see A LOT of shoot-able birds not being hunted.  The public land that is available might as well be islands in the sky.  The birds there are barely legal, if at all.  Remember, big Toms kick all the would-be competition out of the flock this time of the year.  These will be the birds you find on public land.

Keep a couple things in mind.  There are some major Outfitters operating in this area.  If you are not paying them a $1000 a day to hunt, then you represent a perceived threat to their livelihood. :sry:  The most important thing is to RESPECT the people at all times!  Colville locals are hands down, by far, some of the best people on the planet.  But, you have a population of roughly 4,600.  The population swells at about the same time every year.  Unfortunately many bad hunters have come before you looking for a easy fix.  My  :twocents: is, if your gonna leave with a smile on your face, then leave others smiling as well.  Good hunting.
WWDHGG was here.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 06:24:03 AM »
I tell people there are only 3 rules to turkey hunting:

1) Don't let them see you.

2) Don't let them see you.

3 Don't let them see you.

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline wannabhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 09:09:35 AM »

And don't over call! !!!
"PETA" People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 09:45:07 AM »
Only thing I'd add to that is Patience, patience and patience.  Biggest problem I have with new turkey hunters is they just won't take their time.  Not all toms come gobbling in at a dead run and I've had several young hunters get up to move only to scare off that silent tom that was on his way in. They also seem to think they need to cover 15 miles a day, wondering around scaring far more birds than they ever actually see. If you get an answer back to your call, give em at least 30 minutes before you get up and start moving again and don't keep blasting away on that call.  I usually will give a couple of clucks and a purr every  5-10 minutes and more often than not the bird suddenly pops into view.  Be patient and be ready. (and Don't let them see you  :chuckle:)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech