collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any F150 Ecoboost owners on here?  (Read 11333 times)

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Any F150 Ecoboost owners on here?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 07:35:27 PM »
My hunting buddy "had" one,  couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Nice looking, nice riding, lots of room(super crew) 8mpg pulling a single snowmobile on a open two place trailer! :yike:

Salesman at another dealership told him if you plan on hauling or towing Forget it.  IT will do it, but at a great cost on fuel.  After the fact, it was to late then.
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »
I dont think you would buy a raptor for towing or fuel economy...  :twocents:  :chuckle:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 08:21:11 PM »
The stock ones do just fine... I think 60mph over corn stubble and feeling like your riding in a Cady is proof enough... Apparently they jump pretty good also... At least that is what one of the other farmers said...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I can imagine when they get some miles on them those turbos will be failing since most ford owners don't maintain there rigs .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 08:41:25 PM »
Ford Raptor jumps 90 feet!

Why raptors don't need a twin turbo set up, people will die!

Offline Jacque

• Pack Mule
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
I have a 2012 F-150 Lariat SC With the Ecoboost in it.  My previous truck had the 5.4L V-8 that I personally liked better.  Gas mileage is not as good as my 5.4L either to the tune of 1.5 m/gal less avg. It is very quiet though and without doing any exhaust mods it doesn't sound very Manly. 

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
Ford Raptor jumps 90 feet!

Why raptors don't need a twin turbo set up, people will die!

Dude, hold my beer, and watch this.....

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 08:13:55 PM »
Culling of the herd.  Idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline PiNkPaNtHeR

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »
I have a 2011 F150 4x4 XLT with ecoboost. It doesn't have ALL the bells & whistles, but it has 45K miles on it and has been a good truck. I put over-size tires on it because the stock tires seemed too small - plus I wanted more tread. Nothing has broken, no shop time except for oil changes. I did replace teh stock air filter with a K&N unit. I bought this one new and hope it lasts as long as my 1985 did with the straight 6 and 4-speed in it. I got over 350K miles out of the last one during the 18 years I owned it.

With the over-size tired, the speedometer/odometer is a little off, so the mileage will read lower than it actually is. My computer shows an average of 17mpg, so it's probably really more on the order of 18.5 or so. My guess is that if I took it to someone who knew what they were doing, the electronics could be tuned to change the torque curve to where it needs to be for the size of time I have on it. I forgot to mention that I took off the resonator and increased the exhaust diameter aft of the converter. With all that said, I'm not too hard on my vehicles and tend to take good care of them. Mine is a farm truck used to haul 1-2 yards of gravel, sand, soil & such. Also hauled a motorcycle from LA up here a while back and hauling the bike on the same trailer I use for soil at 70mph, the mileage dropped to about 15.5 on the computer. That was probably more like 17 in reality. I don't think that this engine/transsmission/rear-end/suspension combination was meant to haul a camper - even a light one. I think the wind resistance would be hard on the engine for a long haul at highway speeds. A little smaller diameter tire would work better for getting the torque curve where it needs to be unless the ignition timing and electronics could be tuned for a particular application. Also, a better exhaust system might work better, too.
Well, that's my  :twocents:. Not going to knock anyone else's ride. So far I don't have any complaints as she's done everything I asked her to do so far.
Maximum utilization of available resources.
Rule #1: Pay Attention
Semper Fidelis
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still (Taught to me by my cousin, Wayne)
"Did you ever wonder why God gave you Two ears and only one mouth?" (Also by Wayne.)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 10:28:41 PM »
Pink panther its hard to beat the torque and longevity of the inline 6. I dont think your new truck will beat 350k...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline WoodlandShooter

• Sourdough
  • Groups: P.H.U.
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 08:30:58 AM »
I always get a kick out of the "economy of a V6" stuff....

it's still a full size truck, so it takes the same power to move it down the road...and a gas engine must run at a semi constant A/F ratio....especially when under load. It's even more ctirical when under boost!!

Auto Makers love banking on the ignorance of the general public!!

the only thing you can do to a gasser to raise it's efficiency is raise the compression ratio...and well with pump gas, this can be probematic.

http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/SPRING/propulsion/notes/node25.html

The ideal Otto cycle efficiency is shown as a function of the compression ratio in Figure 3.11. As the compression ratio increases, efficiency  increases, but so does  the temperature of compression. If the temperature of compression is too high, the mixture will ignite without a spark (at the wrong location in the cycle).

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »
You can pull weight off the truck...i.e. Fords new aluminum 2015.  700 lbs lighter should equate to .75 to 1 mpg or close to it.

You can reduce rolling resistance and put highway tires on in the summer.

They have already taken advantage of lowering rpm's with gear ratio and 6 speed transmissions

Not much left to do but boost the hell out of them......, which most manufacturers are doing with various engine /vehicle combinations.

There still aren't a lot of longevity problems showing up with the 3.5 ecoboost and there are some high mileage versions out there.

a friend has 140k on his and i know that there are others out there much higher, I am monitoring for the next purchase.

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost crewcab 4X4.  I get about 17 mpg.  I also have 82,000 miles on it. 
1. I can sleep in the back seat during hunting season as the back seats fold up to expose the floor. 
2. I have never had a problem with it.
3. If I can keep my foot off the gas I can get 19.x mpg. 
275 down 2

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »
if mileage and towing is any concern, don't know why anyone would get anything other than a diesel anymore... 3/4T 4x4 stump pullers, 19+mpg, tow anything, 2 door, 4 door, long or short bed... pick your brand.. its all good....

I have an older F150 4x4 with the small 8, also have a 2500 dodge 4x4. The ford has become my utility truck (dump runs ect... ) cannot even empty come close to comfort, performance and mileage of the dodge...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Rick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 12:57:01 PM »
don't know why anyone would get anything other than a diesel anymore...

Start with the additional $8000 it takes to get into a diesel with the current HD trucks.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]