collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Share any Elk Hunting Tip 2015  (Read 13955 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Share any Elk Hunting Tip 2015
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:08 AM »
Calling, stalking, scouting, equipment, base/bivy/spike camps, packing list gotta haves/don't forget, survival, navigation, field dressing, packing, etc.  Please share a tip that has worked for you in the elk woods. Big or small, let's hear them.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:49:51 PM by bobcat »
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Nice Racks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: McChord AFB Archery Club
Re: Share any Elk Hunting Tip 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
I pack some "chem lites" now.  Two years ago my friend shot a cow right before dark, and she fell only about 60 yards from the tree stand.  After we quartered her out we took the first two quarters to the logging road not 20 yards away and went back for the other two.  We soon found out we couldn't find the other two in the dark, and boy was it ever dark.  Hanging a chem lite in the tree above the elk would have saved us probably 15 minutes.  I would also hang one in the stand too.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:03:32 PM »
Here's a few: 

Carry a small squirt bottle (2-3 ounces) of hydrogen peroxide in your hunting pack. For those that don't know, spraying a small mist of HP on blood makes it turn white and foam. It can be a game changer when tracking conditions get really tough.

If you can swing it, do a "dry run" with all your hunting gear, even if it's in the back yard. Make sure everything you're taking to base or a backcountry hunt works.

Rake trees, kick brush, stomp feet as a form of non-verbal elk language.  Sometimes this is all that is needed to create curiosity/excitement with a target bull. 

Work the wind/thermals.... always.  It's very easy to become complacent about the direction of the wind/thermals when closing on a bull.

Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 03:01:23 PM »
Get comfortable with walking in the dark, whether early in the morning from camp or late in the evening back to camp. Spend those first and last 30 minutes right where you think the elk should be, even if its miles from camp.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »
Get comfortable with walking in the dark, whether early in the morning from camp or late in the evening back to camp. Spend those first and last 30 minutes right where you think the elk should be, even if its miles from camp.
:yeah:
Also, start down in the draws.  I don't know how many people head straight for the ridges in the morning, but the thermals are still going down for a couple hours.  I want to be right in the bottom of the bowl/drainage I plan to hunt when it first starts getting light.  follow the elk up, and make sure you stay to the side before the wind starts to swirl.  You can't be scared of elevation gain.   :sry:

Offline WALLEYEGUY

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:50:58 PM »
I love still hunting :tup:  Still hunting means walking slow, when you think you are going slow enough cut it in half twice more.  If the wind is hitting you anywhere but in the face change direction no matter how much you wanted to go that way because an elk can hear you, see you, but will never tolerate smelling you. :twocents:

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
A game changer for me a few years ago was the black pepper trick on a downed animal.  The early season can have a ton of bugs and black pepper seems to keep them off for enough time to get the meat in game bags. Another tip that is usually learned, is buy the best gear you can.  I went cheap on a pack last year 300$ range and got a 5x5 bull down solo 10 miles from the truck and 2 miles from camp.  I was misserable carryin that thing back to camp in a pack thay was fitted for me.  First thing I did when I got home was ordered a kifaru.  Don't wait tell August to get your gear list pieced together and think you will be able to wing it in the back country.  And don't wait tell August to start shooting your bow and practice calling.  Every year I see lots of people do this and it greatly lowers your chance and being successful. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 04:34:01 PM »
If you have an area that you have consistently seen elk or had pictures of elk and don't see them for a few days, don't assume they are gone. Often times they will make big loops and be back to that spot as long as they weren't blown out. I learned this the hard way last year by giving up on my stand that I sat in for a few days, only to return to pull my camera the last morning and see that the herd moved back through the day I wasn't there.  :bash:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »
Don't use your dad's old Trapper Nelson packboard.
Ever.
All you will learn is that he must have been a lot tougher than you are. 8)
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »
Dont worry about the wind.  If its in your favor and you're into elk the wind will change.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 08:31:19 PM »
When moving through the woods sound like a elk , they will hear you.  I,ve walked right up on them or had cows chrip at me as I walked along cow meowing
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »
Hunt 60 miles on your boots and at the end of the season shoot one just off the road!

Offline Todd_ID

• Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:16:15 PM »
If you're in an area with elk and are calling, then you MUST assume one is coming in.  Just because you don't hear an answer doesn't mean you won't call one in. The bulls are much less vocal now than 20 years ago when many of the elk calling theories were set in stone. The hunters who don't adapt become vegetarians. One hunter who's messed with an elk is enough to consider that elk pressured now days, and in areas with real pressure every elk is pressured before archery season even starts. Plan your hunt as if you're always hunting that hard pursued animal, and your success will go way up.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline BABackcountryBwhntr

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA,CCA,RMEF,WSA,NFAA....
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
Do not go bugle crazy early in the season.. cow calls are your friend, so is patience.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »
Get lucky   :dunno:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Killmore

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 08:42:17 AM »
Stay at home tell you draw a good tag.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 09:04:54 AM »
Don't give up! It can happen at any second! It's easy to get sloppy after being out 4 or 5 days and not seeing anything. Just keep at it!

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »
:yeah:
Also, start down in the draws.  I don't know how many people head straight for the ridges in the morning, but the thermals are still going down for a couple hours.  I want to be right in the bottom of the bowl/drainage I plan to hunt when it first starts getting light.  follow the elk up, and make sure you stay to the side before the wind starts to swirl.  You can't be scared of elevation gain.   :sry:

One reason I don't see many hunters where I am.
Park at gate, take first spur road towards creek, find game trail along creek and go find where they lead...
They might cross a road, but they like to follow natural contours and trails more.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »
Stay at home tell you draw a good tag.

That's no fun  ;)
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
A bull in the hand is not always worth two in the bush.  In other words, know when to "not" go after a singer.  The pic below is from one of my areas in Idaho and the X is where I've encountered a screamer more than a few times.  I made the mistake a few times of going down there.  There are no user friendly trail systems to speak of in the bottom of the feeder creek, or the main draw creek in the distance, and this area is more than merely steep and thick.  Although it's tempting to go after every singer you encounter, it's not necessarily the best idea to head after one that you may not be able to get out without helicopter assistance ;).

Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline steeliedrew

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »
If all of a sudden you catch a whiff of a barn yard, Slow your pace because you might be right on a good herd.  Me and Addicted2hunting busted a rather large herd last year.  We were hacking our way through an alder choked road and I stopped and said, "hey, you smell those elk"? took one more step and then the woods came alive with thundering hooves and snapping branches.  They had let us get to within 20 yards of them.  Had we have been letting out some mews while busting through the alders they may have sounded off before we got there and then we could have made a plan.
Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »
I just dont see the problem phantom  :chuckl

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »
Dont rely on trail cam pictures from July on August to guide you to elk.  Have a plan B, C, D, E....

Offline IBspoiled

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »
Cover scents are good, but not always....... I was following three bulls down a steep hill when I came across fresh elk pee in a bed. So what's  a true blue elk hunter do that has been foiled by swirling wind for days? Oh yes rub it all over himself. I was in the middle of my rubadubdub when my wife say's your not getting into my tent smelling like that!!!!  Then the fly's attacked me,they came out of knowwhere. Why weren't the fly's on the pee on the ground? I don't know but now they are swarming me. It's a good thing it wears of quick.  And yes I did get to sleep in the tent that night.

Offline sneakyjake

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 11:29:43 AM »
Plan for get-homeitis.  We all get a long ways from camp in rough and dangerous terrain that can't be navigated safely in the dark.  Pack to stay if you have to.  Carry the essentials, that includes a few comfort items. The worst for me was when I pushed a bull after I shot him years ago because I wasn't prepared to stay the night.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 01:18:42 PM »

Note to self.. bring kentrek along to Idaho as a pack mule, lol. 
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »

Note to self.. bring kentrek along to Idaho as a pack mule, lol.
Don't forget the rappelling gear.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
Practice proper trail etiquette.  If hunter A has ingested a can of Stagg chili (or any other rot gut, flatulence producing concoction) the prior evening, hunter A must by rule, allow hunter B to take the lead going up the access trail in the morning.  If hunter A forgets this rule and accidentally takes the lead, and then feels something coming on, hunter A must immediately move off trail, announce "trail bomb" over his left or right shoulder, and allow hunter B to move into the lead position prior to release. 
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »
Cover scents are good, but not always....... I was following three bulls down a steep hill when I came across fresh elk pee in a bed. So what's  a true blue elk hunter do that has been foiled by swirling wind for days? Oh yes rub it all over himself. I was in the middle of my rubadubdub when my wife say's your not getting into my tent smelling like that!!!!  Then the fly's attacked me,they came out of knowwhere. Why weren't the fly's on the pee on the ground? I don't know but now they are swarming me. It's a good thing it wears of quick.  And yes I did get to sleep in the tent that night.

I actually avoid all the cover scent on me or my clothes now.  My nose is one of my most valuable tools for locating elk, and I can't use it when I smell like elk myself.  I do however carry a bottle of it in my pocket for smearing on a stick to hopefully stop a bull that is sneaking into my cold call set-up before he winds me. 

Plan for get-homeitis.  We all get a long ways from camp in rough and dangerous terrain that can't be navigated safely in the dark.  Pack to stay if you have to.  Carry the essentials, that includes a few comfort items. The worst for me was when I pushed a bull after I shot him years ago because I wasn't prepared to stay the night.

Absolutely!  I have been there too  :yike:   :bdid:   I would add to never hit the elk woods without game-bags, Havalon, Paracord, etc... to completely break down an elk without having to head out.

Practice proper trail etiquette.  If hunter A has ingested a can of Stagg chili (or any other rot gut, flatulence producing concoction) the prior evening, hunter A must by rule, allow hunter B to take the lead going up the access trail in the morning.  If hunter A forgets this rule and accidentally takes the lead, and then feels something coming on, hunter A must immediately move off trail, announce "trail bomb" over his left or right shoulder, and allow hunter B to move into the lead position prior to release. 

I agree with this if I am hunter B, however...  :chuckle:   :sry:    :IBCOOL: 

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 07:09:32 AM »
I understand what you're saying buglebrush, about being prepared.

However, if I had a dime for every time I forgot something REALLY important but killed a buck, bear, or (this last year) a bull, then I'd had more than a couple dimes
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 02:12:03 PM »
WOW, over 1100 views and only 29 replies, all take and no give?!?
Cmon folks, share stuff and help each other be more successful or safe out hunting these stinky beasts!

I am new, spent a total of 8 days hunting elk in my life, so not much specific to share..

But I can highly recommend folks get out and do full gear outing well before your hunting trip.  Full pack, hike in like you will on a hunt.  Camp overnight if you plan to on your hunt.  Stay into the late evening even if you don't plan to camp so you can simulate getting that last light elk down and quartered and getting yourself safely out of the woods in the dark.  Pull all your tools, game-bags etc out as well, verify it is all there etc.  100% dry run to make sure all is ready.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »
Hunt Archery
PMan's law of convergence. The more time you spend in the woods away from roads, the more likely you are to converge with elk sooner or later.
Don't stink.
Use a walking stick or two. They really make a big difference, especially on blowdown hillsides.
You can buy cheap raingear, pants, and shirts, but get the best, most comfortable and supportive boots you can afford.
If you don't practice out to 50 you shouldn't shoot at an animal at 40. Practice all year long. Practice in different positions with your gear on. Use broadheads to practice. Do 3-D shoots.
Get in shape. Scouting helps. Do it early, like now.
Wash the god darned dishes after I cook, Bruce! (he does)
Get good binos or a spotting scope, or both.
Know how to use your GPS, compass, and maps before you go into the woods.
Elk make lots of noise, Predators don't. Make lots of noise, especially when the woods are dry.
Wait an hour before following a vitally hit elk unless you see him die. Wait 8 if it's gutshot.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Goldy79

• Tracker
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 02:42:50 PM »
Take your time when you are out in the field and use your nose & ears. I've bombed all over units, hiking up to 15 miles a day with no success. Last year I spent a weekend scouting and showed up to Elk camp 3 days before the opener. I had 4 areas that looked promising and on opening day we split up and I sat on top of a ridge glassing until I heard some rustling across the ridge and started smelling estrus in the air. I walked about 100 yards until I came across a perfect ambush point and let out a few calls with an arrow nocked... an hour later we had my elk hanging in camp. I learned a lot over my short hunting career, 3 years, but that is the most useful information I have. My brother-in-law and buddy both got shots on Spikes just a few days later by keeping their movements short and listening...

Can't wait until September. 
Thank God for Hunting...gives me something to think about at work.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »
I want to hunt with you!
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Goldy79

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »
I want to hunt with you!

This guy? The way my hunting partners are ditching scouting trips I might be looking for new ones!

Thank God for Hunting...gives me something to think about at work.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 03:40:03 PM »
Unless you are really alone (and there is a 99% chance you aren't if it's public land), ignore all of the books that tell you where the elk will be.  Instead, figure out where they will go at first light on opening morning.  I found this to be amazingly consistent from year to year and it certainly isn't onto land that anyone I know would classify as "elky."

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »
I would find out where phantom  took this photo and maybe go hunt it something like this....two nights of food...plan for one night...I'd start off dropping down at the yellow arrow....play thermals and make a move on that mystery  bugle...slow play it not to bust him further off into the red...that seems like a no go unless there's a road down there...camp in the bottom...we're ever you leave the elk...then youl have the thermals in your favor  for the next day and fallow the yellow dots and hunt the blue dots....especially  the one with the black arrow...that seems like a bedroom....work the thermals....stay out of the red zone (know YOUR red zones)....don't get despite...

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2015, 08:08:10 AM »
Ya Kentrek, the red you put on your copy is a bad deal for sure (there is a reason there are elk in here, nobody wants to try and get them out going downhill; too far, too thick, deceptively steep). I like your thinking on your blue and yellow spots though (just not the yellow dot's to get over there, lol) been there; the elk are pretty safe way over there.  The blue star I placed is where you have the majority of your blue dots (to the right). Way too far to dump down into that steep draw from where you're standing above, and, down and across the alder hell that is the bottom of the main draw. We'll just take my little RZR on a three mile run N, then SE to where that big ridge takes off and then down the ridge on an old beater quad trail to the spot with the red arrow on this map (hope the old wolf trapper that runs that ridge has cut the winter blowdown off the trail).  From there, you can drop down into and sweep across the majority of the blue dot areas and back through the yellows you put on your map  8).  The quad trail pretty much ends around the peak from where the red arrow is so the pack will be uphill but not so bad unless..... bullwinkle drops down into the abyss  >:(

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:53:28 PM by Phantom16 »
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2015, 08:22:24 AM »
Learn to understand and make elk sounds.  Which to learn as a newer caller?  Cow/calf mews, location bugle, challenge bugle, nervous/popping grunt.  These four basic sounds are not that tough to master on a diaphram with practice and perhaps a bit of coaching. Learn and understand how to employ sound cold calling techniques (proper setup considering terrain/prevailing wind, exercise patience, understand what to do in a partner cold calling setup when the situation changes (caller becomes shooter/original shooter becomes caller).  Know when to sound "farther" away than you are (calling back over your shoulder or into a big tuft of bear grass).

Oh, trim your toenails the day before you head out hunting  :)   
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline toyman2

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2015, 02:22:17 PM »
Carry and extra pair of quality socks in your pack.
People can talk all they want on how well they know the elk or where their at, Take care of yourself first.
Hunt slow, look around, look around again and keep looking, learn the area so you can see something out of place, walk smooth and quietly.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 09:21:49 PM »
Bring as much mountain money you can carry. Spray it with scent eliminating spray and wipe your bum clean several times. Stinky bum is big no no in the elk woods....
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline huntingbaldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:24 AM »
This isn't experience from archery season, but from my MF days, go where you know others won't.  The steepest, ugliest terrain you can find on the map, if other guys are all around you is where the elk are.  That conditioning doesn't start the first day of hunting.

A lot of you guys are giving great info.  A newb like me appreciates it.  :tips hat:

Offline SpicyTacos

• Hunter
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2015, 10:47:53 AM »
 Whatever gear you use it is wise to not only physically know your weapon but to mentally prepare to use it. Muscle memory. I went over my process of setting up a shot 1000 times in my mind.
When you see that big trophy finally in front of you. Its oblivious and giving the perfect shot. Its totally exciting and in this situation you can stay calm and focused if you have mentally prepared for the shot. Execute.
This past year it became more evident and clear in my mind that we are hunting as soon leave the house. (For that matter all year long)
Opening day of 2014 MF. I headed out in SE Washington with no intentions of seeing any animals. We did a day of scouting before and set up camp. This was my first time in the area. My buddy had hunted here for 11years. I had a map and decided to head into an area that looked like it dead ended. Thinking I would not see any other hunters.I saw one guy and silently gestured and went on my way.
For the next 4hrs I was in the mix of blow down conifers and old growth stands of spruce and ceder. It was a love and hate march through the hills that were littered with mushrooms and sword ferns.
I found an area that I could see the 180 degrees. I perched up on the hillside and had a snack. The moss and loamy smells enchanted me. I was content just to be outside in Gods creation. I envisioned herd meandering by. Life was good. I ate and carried on.
I moved through the woods that soon became a spider web of blown down hell hole. I pushed forward thinking will this ever end? This must be where the elk are...I kept telling myself.
I kept seeing sign everywhere. I was hooked for about an hour or so. I was not moving very far. About 200 yards or less in hr? I was fatiguing and thinking to my self after hopping up and down logs and walking down fallen timber. I better turn around. How in the heck would I pack an elk out of here. It would be treacherous. What if I fell on a branch from the blowdown. I would be a meat Kabob for my friends to find, skewered.
Feeling defeated. I was on my way back to camp. I was walking fast. Not really hunting anymore. I was done. I crossed the paths I remembered before. The streams I crossed and the lush meadows that I could visualize a heard of elk hanging in.
I headed up the steep road back to my truck. I was just going from point A to B by then.
When all of a sudden. I heard the mysterious call of a Raven. I was intrigued and I decided to follow initial call of the Raven.. I had not heard a raven call all day. My instincts to me to go to the side of the drainage and have a look, ravens are smart and something must be going on. Is this bird calling me out? Or is it telling me something?
I walk 30 yards to the edge of a ridge that is cover with 500 year old spruce and cedar trees. I look down the steep hillside. To my amazement. A lone bull. Eating serenely next to the creek bed. I mentally had been preparing for this. Through the scope I could see he was legal. I braced my rifle on my knee. He looked up and I thought I'm busted. I took the shot. Later I realized I did not even hear the power of my grandfathers Win. Model 70 30-06 that had just fired.
Everything fell silent. My grandfather had taken California blacktail and whitetail. My dad had used it before me in Wa. It was the first shot ever taken on a big Roosevelt elk ever. There was no sound. Not even ringing of the ears.
The bull was facing down slope and bolted as soon as I fired. I thought I missed. I made it down to the spot where he was. No sign of anything. Well I thought darn that's weird. I paced around at the amazement of even seeing the bull.
Then I heard 4 deep moans. What was that? I walked side slope in the direction he went, because I had read that animals will go side hill as an escape route. I walked another 50yds passing through wet loamy organic material, lush ferns, and old growth.
There he was 5X4 with contrasted coat of coffee dark and caramel light. This is the elusive guy that archers have been bugling for the last few years. He did not want to play that game or maybe he was a silent Bob. He made a mistake today. He was out mid day, in recovery from the rut, being chased around and refueling for the winter. The work started. I field dressed it and went and found my buddy,
 It was pure joy,the kind that makes you cry. Disbelief. I was rewarded with this animal.
So I say be hunting as soon as you leave the house. Don't be in a hurry, even if you are frustrated. Animals can be anywhere. Pay attention to abnormalities. The Raven is the only reason that I went and looked over the drainage. It payed off.  I am forever changed by the experience.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:54:36 AM by SpicyTacos »

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2015, 03:01:09 PM »
Take your time when you are out in the field and use your nose & ears. I've bombed all over units, hiking up to 15 miles a day with no success. Last year I spent a weekend scouting and showed up to Elk camp 3 days before the opener. I had 4 areas that looked promising and on opening day we split up and I sat on top of a ridge glassing until I heard some rustling across the ridge and started smelling estrus in the air. I walked about 100 yards until I came across a perfect ambush point and let out a few calls with an arrow nocked... an hour later we had my elk hanging in camp. I learned a lot over my short hunting career, 3 years, but that is the most useful information I have. My brother-in-law and buddy both got shots on Spikes just a few days later by keeping their movements short and listening...

Can't wait until September.
X2
One thing I have learned, burn the boot leather scouting.
During hunting season you want to have a good idea where to be.
It is O.K. to cover ground in search of game, but when you locate good sign, s-l-o-w-d-o-w-n.
These animals do not have clocks, or a concept of time.
There is no reason for them to hurry, they do not have to be anywhere.
That extra hour you wait in a good spot can make all the difference.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline BGLEMIN

• Hunter
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »
As a recent transplant to WA, I have only hunted rosies for 2 seasons and have yet to hunt any Eastside elk. The 2013 season I hunted archery and harvested a young bull on day 2 of my hunt. During the 2014 season I focused on getting my wife her first elk with a bow. We hunted for 3 days, with camp on our backs. The area we chose was surrounded by other archers, but they were not willing to venture into the steep and nasty like we did. We found ourselves in an elk hole, all being pushed into the rugged timber by the presence of all the other hunters. We had a close call with a 6x6 and later with a mature cow that my wife would've stuck at 16yds had it not been for a Christmas tree obscuring the vitals. I went muzzy for 2 days and was within range several cows, a true spike, and finally a mere 11yds from a 3x4 that caught me eating my lunch after letting out some soft cow mews. I still can't believe an animal that size can sneak in without a sound, but then again the ground was blanketed with moss.

My consistency of getting in tight on elk here in WA is largely due to how I learned to hunt them in SW CO. I have hunted some of the most pressured elk this world has to offer. So here are my tips: 1) Hunt north and east facing slopes 2) Hunt heavily timbered STEEP slopes 3) Hunt within two miles of a water source and within 2 miles of recent clear cuts or meadow...elk need water and grass and will travel to these areas in the dark but be back in the steep, dark timber by daylight 3) If you plan on using elk calls, I recommend purchasing audio of true herd talk...not the instructional types for bugling or estrus whines. True herd talk will teach you how cows and calves interact, and that is money for luring in a bull or any elk for that matter 4) Contrary to my last tip...learn how to bugle and grunt well (AND, learn how to glunk too, very few hunters use this vocalization of a bull which is why I use it...bull elk typically only hear this sound from other bulls, sometimes it is the only method to entice an otherwise hung up bull) 5) Lean to use multiple types of cow calls, i.e., diaphragm (have several different ones of differing tones), open single and double reed calls, "bite and blow" calls, and possibly even a Hoochie Mama push call 6) When calling be prepared to switch between your calls to sound as though you are a herd chatting with each other 7) Solo hunt: your setup will determine if the bull comes within range, they know where the sound came from, so choose a setup that has dense timber behind or setup just below the crest of a ridge...when he tops the ridge, he's within range or he'll come within range to peak over the ridge 8) Buddy hunt: caller should be at least 50+yds behind shooter and completely out of sight in order to stomp & rake 9) Lastly don't pass the shot just because you think it will be hard to get the elk out...you gotta shoot'em where they are!!
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »
 I go steep and deep in pressured areas with the wind in my face and always carry a cow call during rifle season to stop a bull that is moving away. I have stopped and shot several bulls this way after I spotted them. I don't use the call blindly, especially with all the cow tags being given out on the west side anymore, but I do use them and they do work!
 I've caught several bulls bedded in a drainage within earshot of running water in thick vine maple. I've had them hang up like deer and explode out in front of me at the last second. My Safari sling has given me the opportunity to get a few of these.
 Be patient and always expect an elk to be there because if you don't, they will be and they will be gone!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]