collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Senate bill would change how state manages wolves  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Hurricane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Senate bill would change how state manages wolves
« on: March 05, 2015, 07:51:14 AM »

Don't know if this is on here yet. Interesting.

OLYMPIA — The state would overhaul its wolf-management measures and goals under a bill that the Senate passed 39-9 Wednesday. The bill now goes to the House.

The bill sponsored by Sen. Brian Dansel, R-Republic, would order the state Department of Fish & Wildlife to change its 2011 wolf management plan to base full recovery on packs instead of breeding pairs; to examine wolves killing livestock and wildlife, such as deer and elk; and to nail down when a wolf can be legally killed.

The department also would have to determine when ranchers and farmers can be compensated for the loss of livestock to wolves. The deadline to overhaul the wolf management plan is June 30, 2017.

Wolves in the western two-thirds of the state are protected by the federal Endangered Species Act.

Wolves in Eastern Washington lost their federal protection in 2011 but not state protection.

A state report for 2013 estimated that Washington had 52 wolves in 13 packs with five successful breeding pairs. Ten packs are in the state’s northeast corner, which also had three of the state’s five breeding pairs in 2013. However, Reuters recently reported that Washington is down to two breeding pairs. A breeding pair is a female and male with at least two pups.

Right now, one of Washington’s criteria for a successful wolf recovery is 15 successful breeding pairs for three consecutive years with four breeding pairs on each of three recovery areas. The 2013 state report found no more than two breeding pairs in any recovery area.

On Tuesday, the Western Law Environmental Center filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Seattle to stop the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Service from killing wolves, Reuters reported.

Last year, the Wildlife Service shot a female wolf in a breeding pair — dropping the number of three to two — by mistake, thinking it was another wolf that had attacked livestock.

On Wednesday, Sen. Brian Hatfield, D-Raymond, noted that during a Senate committee hearing, one rancher testified that wolves killed 300 of his animals. He said, “This is a serious issue.”
"Enjoy your Rice-A-Roni. It's the only treat SF will get this year. Go Hawks."

"I'm not saying your stupid I'm just saying you've got bad luck when it comes to thinking!"

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
Re: Senate bill would change how state manages wolves
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
"The bill sponsored by Sen. Brian Dansel, R-Republic, would order the state Department of Fish & Wildlife to change its 2011 wolf management plan to base full recovery on packs instead of breeding pairs; to examine wolves killing livestock and wildlife, such as deer and elk; and to nail down when a wolf can be legally killed."

Now we are starting to get some where. :tup:

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:33:10 PM »
 :tup:    8)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44:50 PM »
"Last year, the Wildlife Service shot a female wolf in a breeding pair — dropping the number of three to two — by mistake, thinking it was another wolf that had attacked livestock." :o
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »
Well with that new lawsuit by the 4 wolf lovers groups it should get interesting.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
Reuters recently reported that Washington is down to two breeding pairs.

If Reuters says it then it's got to be true right!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 01:03:45 PM »
I wonder if the US Fish & Wildlife Service would agree to these changes? They need to approve the wolf plan, since wolves are an endangered species.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 09:44:14 AM »
I wonder if the US Fish & Wildlife Service would agree to these changes? They need to approve the wolf plan, since wolves are an endangered species.

The wolves never were endangered, introducing the wolves was a big farce put on by the environmentalists and the USFWS. Go back an look at the lies the environmentalists and USFWS told before the introduction, and look at the fraud afterwards.

Look at the states that are now shooting the "endangered species". :roll eyes: History ought to have some say by now in other states, and wolves should be hunted as the predator they are.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Senate bill would change how state manages wolves
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »
Well, that's your opinion that they're not an endangered species. Maybe what I should have said is that they are on the endangered species list.

Right or wrong, the fact is the federal government considers wolves to be endangered. (Endangered of going extinct, I guess)  :dunno:

But anyway the point is the USFWS is in charge and the state can't just change the wolf plan without their approval.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »
Well, that's your opinion that they're not an endangered species. Maybe what I should have said is that they are on the endangered species list.

Right or wrong, the fact is the federal government considers wolves to be endangered. (Endangered of going extinct, I guess)  :dunno:

But anyway the point is the USFWS is in charge and the state can't just change the wolf plan without their approval.

I kind of think the wolf history is starting to catch up with the USFWS, and there might be some changes coming up :tup:

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:49 AM »

The feds have delisted a few different times in a number of places, it is the enviros and antis along with a sympathetic fed judge who continue the farce  :bash:   the USFWS is fighting latest ruling :tup:

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 12:01:15 PM »

What about the eastern 1/3 of the state?  The feds don't consider wolves endangered there.  Why not revise the wolf plan now?  Seems like the feds would agree with a revision........

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »

What about the eastern 1/3 of the state?  The feds don't consider wolves endangered there.  Why not revise the wolf plan now?  Seems like the feds would agree with a revision........

I don't think they would agree to a revision. It would be the state against the USFWS. Our governor doesn't have he intestinal fortitude of the WY governor to tell the feds to pound sand. He'd probably veto the bill for the west side votes.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 04:53:41 PM »
I thought the feds took the wolves off the endangered list for the eastern third of the state?  I guess I don't see why USFW would have a problem if the state now decided to pull the wolf off of state protection?  :dunno:  Not that our predator loving state WDFW would ever do that.......and the wolf hugging groups would have a fit too, but if the state really wanted to revise the wolf plan, what grounds would the feds have to complain?  :dunno:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 06:22:03 PM »
We don't know what to think about Dansel here yet. He promised a guy I know, who has worked his arse off for ATVs here and Dansel denied he ever said anything about ATV support. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched...................he's new in politics and seems to be a, "YES MAN" to get his stripes.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]