collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you all think of this?  (Read 19061 times)

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: What do you all think of this?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »
The thing that really Pizzes me off about the cops in general is more and more cops have the attitude of the Sgt Cop when he states @ 4:32 we are exempt from the law.
Well BS they are not only NOT EXEMPT They should be setting the example.. One reason I Love following cops down the highway at 75 in a 60 zone
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline LittleJohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 06:04:45 PM »
That cop should be fired and charged with assault.

I agree, 2nd amendment rights were violated. I hope it was a setup and I hope these officers are reprimanded if not fired. They should know the law and follow the law regarding all constitutional rights.

I am a bit surprised by your you agreeing with this Dale :}

A lot of great comments on here.

I'll first say that I am a Cop and am trying to be impartial.

The Officer did not handle the situation very well in my opinion. Should he be fired? No  :two cents:

Did the individual leave his home with his long gun in hopes of a confrontation? You bet  :two cents:

If this Officer does not respond to a citizen request and investigate he is liable. If this guy walks to the neighbors and shoots everyone I am sure you all would like him fired as well  :)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 06:11:51 PM »
Lil john...thanks for your input. Would you agree that when a person exercises their rights in this manner, with what I assume is a deliberate confrontation, there simply is no reasonable expectation of a good outcome.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 06:12:49 PM »
I totally agree. These actions hurt our cause.

I guess I see it a little differently, I think this guy has brought awareness to thousands of Americans?

He has also caused folks to think what happened to him was justified. I agree there needs to be awareness but not like this.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Windwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/16/decorated-vet-arrested-after-rudely-displaying-his-rifle-says-officer-pulled-gun-on-him-in-front-of-boy-scouts/

Remembered following this back when it happened-

The LEO's were out of line. 
Grisham was not out to "make a point" - he was on a Eagle Scout hike with his son, this was one of the few cases/videos where the LEO's were not provoked.
He had a concealed carry for the pistol (not why they stopped him) and there is no law against carrying long guns.

He isn't a whacko-"Grisham has served tours in Iraq and Afghanistan throughout his 18 years in the military.  He was awarded the Bronze Star with Valor for his service."

Since then and because of what happened he founded Open Carry Texas.
http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunday-commentary/20140704-point-person-our-qa-with-cj-grisham-founder-of-open-carry-texas.ece

Grisham, who’s stationed at Fort Hood, was carrying an AR-15 rifle and a concealed handgun, for which he had a permit. Texas law allows for rifles to be carried in public.

As of Oct. 18, 2013
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/18/small-legal-victory-for-military-veteran-arrested-after-rudely-displaying-rifle-on-hike-with-his-son/

A mistrial was declared Friday in a Texas case against a soldier carrying his assault rifle on a hike, in a proceeding that was being closely watched by gun-rights advocates.

The six-person jury in Belton was deadlocked after two days of deliberations Thursday and Friday. Prosecutors did not immediately reveal whether they intended to retry him.

I looked for more info- looks like there was a retrial resulting in a $2.000 fine.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Soldier-At-Center-Of-Gun-Rights-Debate-Tried-For-Second-Time-232412011.html

"Jurors found guilty Grisham Tuesday of interference with the duties of an officer."
"The offense is a class-B misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than $2,000 and a jail sentence of not more than 180 days"

Grisham will appeal.
http://kdhnews.com/news/crime/grisham-appeal-centers-on-alleged-errors-by-judge/article_1c848bd8-1dd4-11e4-a084-0017a43b2370.html

Ermis testified in Grisham’s trial that he thought he’d told Grisham that he was going to disarm him but then admitted he did not say that.

The County Attorney’s Office later changed the charge of resisting arrest to interference with the duties of a peace officer.

Ermis’ reason for initially detaining Grisham changed during the trial to walking on the right-hand side of the road, a transportation offense, Rannefeld stated.

What a mess- not sure there would have been a way out regardless of what was said.

What I would have done. Am never confrontational with LEO's for one. First and foremost I want them relaxed knowing I am not a threat.

My first questions if armed. How would you like me to proceed? If they screw up that is for the court to decide at a later time.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline MuleySniper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
tag. This is going to be political thread of the year. Guaranteed.  :cue:
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »
Lil john...thanks for your input. Would you agree that when a person exercises their rights in this manner, with what I assume is a deliberate confrontation, there simply is no reasonable expectation of a good outcome.

h20
I would not say "no reasonable expectation of a good outcome", there are quite a few "good outcomes" on Youtube where the LEO exercised common sense and legal knowledge for a "happy Ending"  :twocents: :twocents: :)

A reasonable person would consider open carrying a long gun in public unreasonable :twocents: :twocents:

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 06:51:47 PM »
A point seems overlooked here.  A law abiding veteran is being railroaded and convicted of a crime.  Why?  State must convict him or face lawsuits for violating his rights.  So they will fight to the end.  This guy now has a huge amount of his life involved and who is paying the legal fees???  American Justice at its best and many cant see this?  Convict convict etc. How many death row cases exonerated thru DNA? :twocents:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline AntlerHound

• Hunter
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
You call it asking for trouble.... I call it exercising my rights

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 07:01:31 PM »
I support this guy.

The camera may have been due to his hike not necessarily looking for trouble.  It's not the path I would have taken but he is within his right to do so and I support that right.  The cops got started down a road and didn't have the character to back up once they started.  I have a real hard time calling that resisting arrest.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 07:01:54 PM »

h20
I would not say "no reasonable expectation of a good outcome", there are quite a few "good outcomes" on Youtube where the LEO exercised common sense and legal knowledge for a "happy Ending"  :twocents: :twocents: :)

A reasonable person would consider open carrying a long gun in public unreasonable :twocents: :twocents:
Didn't look much like "public" looks like a rural area. How do you feel about open carrying a long gun while hunting. I really don't see a difference here. In fact that would have been my first inclination in this situation.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
The cop was wrong.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Online TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 08:27:02 PM »
O wow! Not ok!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »
Looked like that cop was wrong.  Only thing I saw the guy do that probably wouldn't have was when he tried to steady the rifle after it was released by the police officer.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 08:34:43 PM »
Show me once where raising your voice to a cop ever got the yeller what they wanted??  It immediately gives you a fail on the personality test.

I agree. I don't think this guy was out "asking for it." Or if he was.. he's really stupid. Attempting to have court on the side of the road is plain dumb  :twocents: He came semi prepared--video cameras and what not, but he clearly didn't think things through for a coherent strategy. There was no benefit to him to 1. raise his voice at the officers and 2. attempt to educate them on the law (whether he's right or not). These gotcha videos tend to embarrass the cops more when the instigator simply says: "I don't consent to any searches" or "Am I free to go? Or are you detaining me?" Such legalese terms being thrown around will trip up and confuse the officer far more than escalating the adrenaline, which will only cause the officers to go into fight-or-flight mode. He also should have given his son the camera before the walk even began.  Whether or not the officers actions were justified leading up to the point of handcuffing the father on the hood, I'm surprised the officer at that point allowed the son to approach to take the camera. At that point in time, I certainly wouldn't have allowed it if I were the officer, though I probably would have done things differently before that point.

Watch it again. The cop grabbed him and pulled him in when he put his hands on his firearm. It escalated from there. We have a right to carry. A cop has a right to get really nervous when we put our hands on our firearm.

When I am approached by gamies in the field (usually them pulling up on me in their truck) I put my rifle down and open the action right as I'm resting it on the ground. Then I take several steps away with my hands clearly visible and tell him that I also have a handgun on, too. Whether we have a right to do these open carry demonstrations or not its clear that this isn't normal behavior, and an LEO will almost always walk into the encounter with an elevated state of vigilance--not knowing whether its a YouTube gotcha game in the making or the "Police State USA" troll who has emerged from his mommas basement and decided to make history that day.

tag. This is going to be political thread of the year. Guaranteed.

Disagree. The "shoot my dog, I'll shoot you" :boxin:  :pee: matches are always more heated  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]