collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6.0l powerstroke  (Read 16217 times)

Offline DRobnsn

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: 6.0l powerstroke
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
Or just bring back the 7.3! Without  the urea injection and all the other crap. You go Al Gore!
You guys struggle to get 15-16 miles a gallon, with a 50k truck!
The old Cummins got great mileage, the 7.3 gets great mileage . Both will pull a house over the pass!  But lets fix that! Diesels put out way less Co2 than a gasser.
Lets re invent that wheel. How many people do I know that have taken that new diesel in with fuel issues? A lot! One friend with a Isuzu / duramax . Couldn't figure it out.ended up putting a F.A.S.S system on it and getting rid of it.

If you ca. Tell me the trick to getting "great mileage " with my 7.3 I'm all ears. Love my 7.3 wouldn't have anything else but 13.5mpg is not great by a long shot

Ouch, my 6.4 can get up into the 14's possibly 15's on the highway, haven't taken it on any trips long enough to get a good average yet and use a whole tank yet, it holds 50 plus gallons. I've been averaging 14.2 during my commute to work about 70% freeway at 70mph and 30% stop and go. All hand calculated, 6.4's are not known for good mileage. My truck is tuned, at first all I had was H&S canned tunes on my tuner and it was difficult to get 13mpg but with the new Gearhead tunes I've been seeing what I posted above. 

What year is yours and is this mpg empty? Around town? Any mods?

Offline longwalker

• Scout
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 01:03:22 PM »
2002 F350. Aftermarket cold air intake, 4" pass through exughst and 35/12.50 stt maxx's. It's got 160k on it and a brand new transmition. Had some sort of BS plug I chip when I bought it. Bout two weeks later the computer ew and I didn't put it back on.

Offline DRobnsn

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:58 PM »
2002 F350. Aftermarket cold air intake, 4" pass through exughst and 35/12.50 stt maxx's. It's got 160k on it and a brand new transmition. Had some sort of BS plug I chip when I bought it. Bout two weeks later the computer ew and I didn't put it back on.

Original injectors? How long have you had it? If your injectors are factory equipment that could very well be contributing to your problem especially if the previous owner didn't change the oil at a proper interval. 7.3 injectors don't typically last as long as the engine itself. Have you ever replaced the cam position sensor, if so which brand? Factory is the only brand I would put in them as some of the aftermarkets can change the timing slightly and they sometimes do not pick up a good enough signal from the cam ring in higher mileage rigs due to the cam walking back and forth ever so slightly with normal bearing wear. This can cause hesitation, slight or moderate miss and would also have an adverse effect on mileage depending on the severity.

If all these things are not an issue and your engine is in tip top shape and your still getting 13.5, the next best option in my opinion would be to buy a TS 6 position switch from Matt at Gearhead with custom tunes for your truck. Matt and his guys really know there stuff when it comes to tuning Powerstrokes. https://gearheadautomotiveperformance.com/7-3-Ford-Powerstroke-Diesel-Performance-Tuning-Products

IMHO your truck running properly should get better than 13.5 even with 35's (unloaded mixed driving of course) towing and hauling is a completely different story. 

Offline longwalker

• Scout
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
I have changes out the cam position sensor and it was with the factory one . The good one , I know there's a differance between gray and black ones I forget what one. I knew at the time. Injectors I can only imagine are the stock ones and I'm going to run them till they need replaced. I've had it a little less than a year. Put a fair amount of money in it when I first bought it. Got it at a pretty good price and put a new tranny/comp/ and some front end work . Now I'm into it for what it's worth and plenty happy, I'll look I to the chip, that's the next thing I want to do of it any way. Thanks

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal