collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The little things  (Read 169656 times)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
Re: The little things
« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2015, 01:25:37 PM »
It sounds like your off eye might be dominant , I know mine is so i just close it .
Could very well be, I am one of those freaks that was Ambidextrous when I was young so my wiring is all sorts of messed up :jacked:..  Now I do sports (throw, shoot, kick etc) righty, but lefty for writing and fine motor skills. :bash:

Need to figure out a way to somehow get down to Vancouver and get some Radsav bootcamp training one of these days...
 :archery_smiley:

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »
Need to figure out a way to somehow get down to Vancouver and get some Radsav bootcamp training one of these days...
 :archery_smiley:

I lost my range when a relative passed away.  So no tutoring for a while until I find a new place.  I will let folks know once I do find the right property.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »
I currently shoot with only one eye open.  Any tips or tricks I can try to help work on both eyes open?  Soon as I open the off eye I loose the sight picture.

Only trick I know is the wear dark sunglasses that allow you can remove one lens.  Frost a lens with steel wool if you need to.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:14:37 PM by RadSav »

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2015, 02:18:31 PM »
I can't shoot with glasses on.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
Same, nose piece blocks my sight thru peep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #200 on: June 26, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »
I can't shoot with glasses on.

Just wait!  You'll be getting old soon enough.  Then you will be just like me. :chuckle:

Same, nose piece blocks my sight thru peep

You need different glasses or a shorter draw length.

Offline wiremonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA Life Member
« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2015, 04:19:15 PM »
tag

Offline earlmarne

• Scout
« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2015, 04:27:42 PM »
may have to try this blind warm up.I can shoot some amazing groups sometimes but seems like every couple days I go out and shoot 60 where I had them stocking on the dot the day before I will be consistently 5 or 6 inches left, and then right, or a touch high or low.Always chasing my groups around

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
  • Groups: rmef,wwa,nra, & du
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »
I've been trying to pick apart the mechanics of my shot process. When I do make a good shot I don't know what I just did too repeat it. & I seem to be more solid out @ 60 & 70yrds than I am @ 40 think I just need a run down on proper pin float execution     

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
I've been trying to pick apart the mechanics of my shot process. When I do make a good shot I don't know what I just did too repeat it. & I seem to be more solid out @ 60 & 70yrds than I am @ 40 think I just need a run down on proper pin float execution   

So are you wanting to pick apart shot mechanics or how to aim?  Seems like you are talking two different things. :dunno:

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
  • Groups: rmef,wwa,nra, & du
« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2015, 07:20:43 PM »

So are you wanting to pick apart shot mechanics or how to aim?  Seems like you are talking two different things. :dunno:
Think if I can get this pin float & when to take the shot properly down I'll finally be able to break this plateau & become a better archer but we are our own worst critic 

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2015, 12:36:18 AM »
When I started shooting sights I just got worse and worse the more I practiced.  Sometime during the depths of my despair I was invited to a big archery event to talk bear hunting and while there I got to meet Dee Wilde (this was back when he and Dean Pridgen were tearing up the target circuit).  When I asked him why I was going down hill his answer was, "You are trying too hard to be perfect!"

...Whaaaaat???

Of course he was absolutely right!  I was trying so hard to hold the pin rock solid perfect on the spot my whole body was tense.  The more tense I got the more the pin would dance around.  The more the pin would dance around the harder I would try to hold solid.  The more I tried to hold solid the more tense I would become...  It eventually turned into a vicious ever multiplying circle of self destruction.  Eventually I started to punch the release, anticipate touching off the trigger as soon as the pin hit the center and all kinds of nasty bad habits.

I found that the only thing that needed to be rock solid was my focus.  Some how the mind and body teamed up to put the arrow wherever my focus was at the moment of the shot.  At least as long as my muscles remained relaxed, my core was passively rigid and my release and follow-thru was executed properly. 

You may be different, but I find trying to hit a spot or "X" is very difficult for me.  If I can shoot for the center of a circle the mind finds that comforting and natural.  Makes little difference if I'm focused on the pin or on the target.  I just want to have a circular zone and let the pin float in that zone.  Again, the minds natural tendency is to center things in a circle.  So don't try to force the pin into the center just let it find it's way.  Your subconscious will find center as you are concentrating on extension and getting the release to break. 

Just don't lose focus on the zone while concentrating on the extension.  Again this reiterates the importance of Blind Practice and getting your shot mechanics down to a subconscious level.  The conscious mind can do one thing well, but it does multiple things poorly.  Meanwhile the subconscious has a wide range of things it can do well simultaneously.  Let focus be that one conscious act and let the rest just happen!

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2015, 12:49:05 AM »
may have to try this blind warm up.I can shoot some amazing groups sometimes but seems like every couple days I go out and shoot 60 where I had them stocking on the dot the day before I will be consistently 5 or 6 inches left, and then right, or a touch high or low.Always chasing my groups around

You and my wife may be related :chuckle: :chuckle:  Trying to sight in her bow can be a lesson in futility! 

For her it is usually one of three things:

#1 - Inconsistent anchor point (Segment #5  "Lower Your Anchor")
#2 - Grip on the bow (Hand pressure/gripping the handle/tight wrist sling)
#3 - Lack of back tension (Segment #1 "Creep Tuning")

Here shortly I will get to the "Where is my next arrow" segment.  That will explain a possible forth.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:09:25 AM by RadSav »

Offline earlmarne

• Scout
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2015, 09:57:55 AM »

You and my wife may be related :chuckle: :chuckle:  Trying to sight in her bow can be a lesson in futility! 

Here shortly I will get to the "Where is my next arrow" segment.  That will explain a possible forth.
After shooting last night I think it is all in tension in my hand.I have not moved my sight here in a week or so.Went n shot and was to the right on my first 3.Focused  on really relaxing that grip and my next couple groups piled right in there.
That stuff drives me nuts.I hate when my results are not repeatable though.We will see over the next couple days if I can keep em there.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »

After shooting last night I think it is all in tension in my hand.I have not moved my sight here in a week or so.Went n shot and was to the right on my first 3.Focused  on really relaxing that grip and my next couple groups piled right in there.
That stuff drives me nuts.I hate when my results are not repeatable though.We will see over the next couple days if I can keep em there.
New to this myself and this may not work for you but it seems to for me...  When I started I was gripping like the bow was going to rip out of my hands and was all over the place.  I switched to open hold and was much better but struggled with inconsistency with that as well as I would pinch with my thumb or not hold my hand the same way on some sessions causing shots to be off session to session.  Deadi-on on Monday, left Tuesday, right Thursday..
:bash:

Smoene at a shop recommended I try this and it is working so far.  What I have started doing is for my bow hand just touching the tip of my pointer finger to the tip of my thumb.  Not pinching them together or gripping tight, just touching like making the "OK" sign and I let the other fingers just hang there not really touching the bow..  This acts as a physical reference and making sure my hand is shaped the same way each shot, almost like an anchor point for my bow hand.  I am much more confident now that when I set my anchor point, do that with my hand and touch my nose to the string the shot so going to go wherever the pin is held.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]