collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The little things  (Read 169651 times)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: The little things
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2015, 07:22:38 AM »
Thanks Rad.  I've been self-correcting this problem this year.  I found myself rapid firing and that my groups were plateauing because I was draw-shoot-nock-draw-shoot-nock-draw-shoot.  I suppose if I were in Henry VIII's army then I would be a good archer  :chuckle:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »
I may have copy and pasted that last post into word and printed it so that I can refer back to it
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2015, 05:31:30 AM »
Bowhunter's Magic Tape

It’s about time to hit the woods for early archery season!  Which also means it’s time to address all those things on our bows that shake loose, rattle, and spook game.  We put moleskin or Navcom on our risers, we paint over the shiny parts and we tighten up all the screws, bolts and peep serving so nothing comes loose bouncing up the gravel roads to our hunting spots.

There are few things in the bowhunter’s life more frustrating than missing due to a loose screw, a rattling broadhead or an animal coming unglued after hearing the clunk of a stabilizer as the bow sling adjusts just before the draw.  Thanks to a Little Thing called plumbers thread seal tape all these annoying noises can be eliminated for about $0.99 at the local Lowe’s store.  It’s such an important step in my own pre-season bow preparation I call it the “Bowhunter’s Magic Tape”! 

As a young bowhunter I spend most of my early hunting seasons within view of the ocean.  And while it is still one of my favorite places to hunt the moist salt air played heck on my equipment.  Screws locked into the riser and stripped the threads when you wanted to remove something.  Broadheads seemed to literally weld themselves into inserts.  I used silicone RTV, grease and a number of anti-seize remedies.  And while most would stop the effects of corrosion they caused problems when trying to keep those screws tight and those annoying rattles at bay.

One day while hunting with our local plumber I had a quiver almost fall off during a shot at a nice rag horn bull.  After my cursing subsided he shared with me his little secret.  Just two or three wraps of Teflon thread tape and all your worries go away!  No more rattles from screws coming loose, no more ruined threads due to corrosion, and no more arrow points that need to be retightened after every shot.  This guy was a genius!!! 8)

One of the additional benefits to this White Magic was the way it fixed broadheads that would not spin true.  Since it is nearly impossible for a screw machine to make an aluminum ferrule crooked or an insert with a crooked hole it should not matter whose broadhead or insert you choose to use.  But each run of parts and mixtures of suppliers often lead to wide tolerances between the ferrule and the insert.  Running a few wraps of thread tape on the parallel section of the ferrule as well as the threads usually fills that void left by the tolerance variation.  With a simple application of just those few wraps even the cheapest of broadheads and inserts can spin like a Titanium Savora ;) ;)

It’s amazing how this little thing can work absolute miracles on a bow and arrows!  Tomorrow my top three hunting bows get broken down and reassembled with a new batch of magic.  My peep sights will get a new batch of serving, my limb pivots will get a new batch of grease, my e-clips will get a new batch of RTV, my strings will get a new coating of Scorpion Venom and my little prides of joy will be ready to bring home natures premium protein!

Good luck everyone!  Pick a spot, follow through and have the time of your lives :hello:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:48:27 AM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2015, 08:22:44 AM »
"My top three hunting bows"  seriously who says that. :chuckle:

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
Same idea different method - Bees Wax.  Buy a block and drag the threads across it before install.  Works like a champ.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2015, 04:27:36 PM »

Blind bow - All Black, no attached quiver, longer stabilizer
Stand bow - Camo, no attached bow quiver, longer stabilizer, used as backup to either of the others.
Still/Stalking bow - Fast, maneuverable, balanced carry, more durable accessories, attached bow quiver, shorter stabilizer

Not much different than having a grouse gun, upland gun and a duck gun.  Or a brush rifle, mountain rifle and a long range rifle.   Even a carry weapon, bear defense weapon and a home defense weapon.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:53:06 PM by RadSav »

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »

Blind bow - All Black, no attached quiver, longer stabilizer
Stand bow - Camo, no attached bow quiver, longer stabilizer, used as backup to either of the others.
Still/Stalking bow - Fast, maneuverable, balanced carry, more durable accessories, attached bow quiver, shorter stabilizer

Not much different than having a grouse gun, upland gun and a duck gun.  Or a brush rifle, mountain rifle and a long range rifle.   Even a carry weapon, bear defense weapon and a home defense weapon.  :dunno:
so I have 3 bows already so what I've gathered is I need more guns.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2015, 09:17:40 PM »
Yes!  At least two more.  You can tell the wife I said so :chuckle:

Offline earlmarne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
I need to work on acquiring myself 3 bows.
I like the idea of the teflon tape.I am horrible about stripping out screw heads tightening them down too tight, and recently stripped out a head on my hamskea due to applying lock tight.I really stress on screws coming loose.

Offline kyle dillehay

• Tracker
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »
I am new to archery and do not have near the experience nor accuracy as most of you guys but so truly appreciate this info that RadSav is sharing with us.  I went out practicing this morning, after trying to digest this whole thread, and started out terribly, but kept thinking about all I had read and concentrating on centering the pin, relaxing my grip, finding my anchor point, and slowing down and thinking about repeatability.  Soon the shafts were getting closer and closer until, on my last volley, I split an arrow.  First time ever doing that, only shooting at 20 yards but can't help but wonder if this was dumb luck or if all of "the little things" really did help out.  Then, of course, I was too excited to shoot anymore, and also bummed because I just ruined a $7 arrow, from Walmart, but still $7.

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #235 on: March 07, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »
Even though this is a sticky thread, and stays at the top, it's still a must read for most of us bowhunters out there!
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline loneduck

• Pilgrim
« Reply #236 on: March 24, 2016, 10:58:16 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »
Some good reading here. As an outfitter the only thing I can suggest is practice  and practice. And I dont mean standing up nice and tall while shooting every time. Kneel  down one knee then both knees shoot up hill and down hill. You dont always get that perfect set up, so make sure you dont require that perfect set up to make a kill shot.
Good luck on all your hunting adventures.
White Pass Outfitters
www.whitepassoutfitters.com
kd@whitepassoutfitters.com
KD

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »
Some good reading here. As an outfitter the only thing I can suggest is practice  and practice. And I dont mean standing up nice and tall while shooting every time. Kneel  down one knee then both knees shoot up hill and down hill. You dont always get that perfect set up, so make sure you dont require that perfect set up to make a kill shot.
Good luck on all your hunting adventures.
White Pass Outfitters
www.whitepassoutfitters.com
kd@whitepassoutfitters.com
Great advice. One of my the best ways I know to replicate real life hunting "practice" is stump shooting. Great fun with a good partner!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »
Stump shooting was a lot more enjoyable when our arrows used to cost $2.25! :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand