collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey hunters  (Read 8636 times)

Offline westcoastsoutherner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Turkey hunters
« on: March 02, 2007, 10:19:09 AM »
Are there any turkey hunters out there?

sisu

Re: Turkey hunters
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 01:35:57 PM »
When I am not hunting them I see them. In fact last fall I have 10 walk up to my blind and then go around the blind pecking and scratching and finally two got into a tussle over something. Funny as heck to see because the rest of the "herd" stood back to watch the action. It did not last long and they walked off and disappeared. But when I am deliberately hunting them I don't even hear one.
The only turkey I've harvested so far was one that walked into a truck last fall. Got its head stoved in. I stopped and threw it in the pickup truck and drove home. Good eating and the feathers are being used for fly tying.

Offline BrushChimp

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 03:11:53 PM »
I turkey hunt every spring.. I'm itchin' to get out there a listen for some gobblers. Hopefully it will only be a couple weeks before that start gobbling good..

chep

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »
The first time I ever went hunting was with a fellow army buddy near Scranton-Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. It was for turkeys. I was mostly along for the ride.. We didn't get anything but someone in the party got scared while we were out in the brush and accidentally shot a grouse. Needless to say that person didn't feel so proud of himself.  :P I remember someone grumbled that the grouse is the state bird there. 

As far as Washington State turkey hunting goes , I have never tried it. I've only seen turkeys while out riding my mountain bike near Mission Ridge; close to Cashmere. Almost all of the species which people like to hunt I see usually when out on my bicycle in the summer instead of hiking around. I think that mode of transportation allows you to sneak up on them.

Offline brushcruiser

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 07:12:33 AM »
I started hunting them 5-6 years ago and have taken several with my shotgun.  I tried it last with my bow and got my butt kicked.  Well, I finally did manage to miss one.  I'm getting really physched up to go.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 01:20:06 PM »
turkey hunter here!! getting fired up for season this year...a month away.
can't wait.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 04:57:52 PM »
I cant hardly wait any longer.  Still in search of a nice tom.  I have only taken jakes.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 07:11:52 PM »
I grew up in Missouri chasing eastern longbeards.  I have been lucky enough to take two birds "most" years since 1995.  In the beginning they were way too easy since they hadn't been hunted much.  They are getting alot more fun to chase now.   :)
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline westcoastsoutherner

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 08:49:49 AM »
We moved out last Aug from TN.  I'm ready to chase them.  According the guys in TN the turkeys (in TN) are gobbling on the limb but not much on the ground.  We have been driving around on the weekends trying to locate some flocks.  So far, we have seen a few turkeys, nothing impressive, but they are still in the winter flocks on private ground.  I am curious to see how the fire last fall in the blues will effect the turkey locations.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 03:23:43 PM by westcoastsoutherner »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 11:19:23 AM »
where will you be in the blues??
we saw a good number of birds this past fall down there, but quite a ways from the dayton fire. they were in an area that burned during the school fire.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BrushChimp

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 05:28:21 PM »
We watched turkeys feeding right next to the Columbia Complex fire this last fall. I worked for the WA D.N.R. as a seasonal firefighter. Fun stuff I tell ya.. Anyways, I'd think the turkeys might not be in the Columbia Com. fire burn area since the fire burned pretty clean in most areas. Next year though, the entire burn area should be greened up pretty nice.

The fire didn't seem to bother the deer and elk at all though. They were right in black..

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 01:18:50 AM »
Hey guys, not really into turkey hunting much but my buddy is back from the 'Core for a month and want to go hunting this weekend for some "Gobble Monsters"!  I live close to Mission Ridge (Wenatchee) if you guys got any advice shoot me a PM...  If not we'll probably head up beehive or the 'heights and see what we can find...

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]