collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk books  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Elk books
« on: March 19, 2015, 07:43:58 AM »
Hey guys, was wondering if any of you have some suggestions on good elk hunting books. I bought and read public land mulies by David long and learned a lot about mulies, now I have the itch to learn more about elk. Much appreciated.
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Elk books
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
Here ya go buddy.

North American Elk: Ecology and Management by Dale E. Toweill (Compiler), Daniel P. Metz (Editor), Jack Ward Thomas (Editor)

This is not an adventure book but quite possibly the most comprehensive book there is about... well, elk  ;).  It reads kind of like a college science text book but is absolutely elk information overload.  You can find one used if you really dig around for under $50. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
Here ya go buddy.

North American Elk: Ecology and Management by Dale E. Toweill (Compiler), Daniel P. Metz (Editor), Jack Ward Thomas (Editor)

This is not an adventure book but quite possibly the most comprehensive book there is about... well, elk  ;).  It reads kind of like a college science text book but is absolutely elk information overload.  You can find one used if you really dig around for under $50.

Thanks man!

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:49:06 PM »
"Elk Hunting the West" by Mike Eastman was pretty entertaining.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »
The Elk of North America by Olaus Murie - c. 1951. It's very outdated but entertaining to read.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 03:13:38 PM »
Here ya go buddy.

and

The Elk of North America by Olaus Murie - c. 1951. It's very outdated but entertaining to read.

I have both the 1982 and 2002 version of Elk Ecology and Management.  Phantom is correct about college science text book, but if you want the best answer to an elk question, some of the best science is in those books.  Olaus Murie "the father of modern elk management" may have known more about elk than any of us will ever know. His advocating for elk management has significantly impacted how many elk are alive today.

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:17:24 PM »
Thank you for the insight guys! Will be doing some reading soon!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:12:05 AM »
Here ya go buddy.

and

I have both the 1982 and 2002 version of Elk Ecology and Management.  Phantom is correct about college science text book, but if you want the best answer to an elk question, some of the best science is in those books.  Olaus Murie "the father of modern elk management" may have known more about elk than any of us will ever know. His advocating for elk management has significantly impacted how many elk are alive today.
I understand his contributions to elk management. But in the 60 years since the book was written, elk have changed many of their habits. That's all that I was alluding to.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:40:45 AM »
No book can teach you real life hunting scenarios..   All elk from county to county , state to state act in diffrent manners , patterns and behaviors.. 

The basics may be found by reading what worked once, but you will be far better off getting your degree in elk life from live elk in the woods.  You can "hunt" elk anytime of year. You just cant kill them.. 

Listento them, watch them, day after day and they will teach you alot.  Ive probably read just about every piece of literature on elk and very few added anything to my resume.  Usually they all say pretty much the same thing just words changed around. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 12:04:14 PM »
P-man, I was agreeing with you, not criticizing.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 12:05:44 PM »
No problem here, Shawn.  :tup:

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »
No book can teach you real life hunting scenarios..   All elk from county to county , state to state act in diffrent manners , patterns and behaviors.. 

The basics may be found by reading what worked once, but you will be far better off getting your degree in elk life from live elk in the woods.  You can "hunt" elk anytime of year. You just cant kill them.. 

Listento them, watch them, day after day and they will teach you alot.  Ive probably read just about every piece of literature on elk and very few added anything to my resume.  Usually they all say pretty much the same thing just words changed around.
Makes sense! We chase the elk around quite a bit where we hunt for during the deer season and scouting trips, this year will be the first year I'll be actually elk hunting. I have the specific area in mind where I want to chase them and all that jazz, just have to start some scouting more and more as the season approaches. Was just thinking some books might give me some good info or ideas. I do agree that nothing is better than field experience.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »

Much can be learned from books, especially by someone without much or any experience. I agree that experience is most important, but there are a lot of experienced hunters who write lots of books with plenty of good advice and observations which can be applied to your own hunting situations. Take elknuts books and CDs. There's tons of useful tips and real life hunting situations that many of us will come across sooner or later. I think someone looking for information shouldn't limit themselves to one area.

Offline mikelonsford

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »
Bugling for Elk by Dwight Schuh, this is written towards a guy wanting to archery hunt for elk, but I would think would be good for anyone...........Great book for starting out.

Eastman's has some good stories in their magazine.

http://www.amazon.com/Bugling-Elk-Complete-Early-Season-Hunting/dp/0912299037

Good Luck

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]