collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to Turkey Hunting  (Read 6474 times)

Offline Chet43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
New to Turkey Hunting
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
Have been reading posts over 2014/15 and have read 3 or 4 books about turkey hunting/calling etc.

I live in the Seattle area and my grandson who really wants to hunt turkeys lives just east of Redmond. I know King & Snohomish counties have very few if any turkeys at all and I have tried to locate birds by talking with biologists, loggers, hikers and whenever I am out in the woods in either county and have had no luck at all.

About how far south from Redmond will I have to drive before I start to get into some areas that have a higher probablility of seeing turkeys?

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: New to Turkey Hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »
I would be spending the 100$ on gas to go to Eastern WA and actually find turkeys, hard to get a young kid hooked when there isn't a lot of action.
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:22:47 AM »
 :yeah:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Chet43

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »
To get sa kid into turkey would the Cle Elum/Ellensburg are  be a better area or should I go south to the Yakima area?

What about going over Stevens pass to Lake Chelan area?

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »
Your best chance for turkeys is the NE corner where 67 to 75% of the state harvest occurs with Colville being the "Turkey Capital" of Washington.   There is a ton of public land and most farmers are open to giving turkey hunters access especially those with kids.              You should hook up with the local NWTF chapter in your area ...  Russell McDonald is the Vice President of the Lake Washington NWTF Chapter and is on this website (might PM him).

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:41:44 AM »
I saw your first post but had to get on the road to pick up some solar batteries.  What everyone is saying is very true.  NE corner of WA is the best with lots of turkey's.  There are turkeys over Stevens pass. 
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:21 PM »
Head to the NE with the young man! Central Wa is tough hunting trust me we have hunted it hard for 5 years with success yes but the NE corner has so many more birds it's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong the NE corner is tough but not like the central part of the state. We will be in the NE corner for 9 days this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »
What others said.  Expect to spend some real time getting things figured out.  Took me a few seasons  before first bird. Good luck.   

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 05:18:14 PM »
Is non lead shot the rule for turkey now or not?
You must first be honest with yourself,Until then your just lying to everyone.

"The only one arguing is the one that is wrong"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »

Is non lead shot the rule for turkey now or not?

Not.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »
thank you thats what i thought.not in the regs,=not a rule
You must first be honest with yourself,Until then your just lying to everyone.

"The only one arguing is the one that is wrong"

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »
To get sa kid into turkey would the Cle Elum/Ellensburg are  be a better area or should I go south to the Yakima area?

I would definetely recommend going to the colville area like others have stated.  Lots and lots of turkeys up there. 

I have a 50% success rate in yakima county the past 8 years. Last year, I went all season without seeing a legal bird.  It is tough to find them if you don't track them all winter. 

Up in the north east corner, you can find birds as soon as you get out of the truck :twocents:.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »

I would definetely recommend going to the colville area like others have stated.  Lots and lots of turkeys up there. 

I have a 50% success rate in yakima county the past 8 years. Last year, I went all season without seeing a legal bird.  It is tough to find them if you don't track them all winter. 

Up in the north east corner, you can find birds as soon as you get out of the truck :twocents:.

I would not go that far unless you're trying to keep people out of your areas. There's a bunch of turkeys up there but they're not tied to every tree as you make it sound.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 12:35:16 PM »

I would not go that far unless you're trying to keep people out of your areas. There's a bunch of turkeys up there but they're not tied to every tree as you make it sound.
no there's not that many, but there is definately more than the yakima area. The ones around yakima are hard to keep track of as they tend to really disperse when the snow melts like it has this year. Colville is your best bet for success.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]