collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Upgraded Kodiak Canvas  (Read 60549 times)

Offline gun-dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Re: Upgraded Kodiak Canvas
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 12:13:16 AM »
Looks like a sweet setup!
“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war, or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 08:06:02 AM »
That is awesome.  Im going to have to make this upgrade.  Thanks for the pics!

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 08:10:56 AM »
How did you like the stove in that location?  Was it in your way entering and exiting the tent?

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »
How did you like the stove in that location?  Was it in your way entering and exiting the tent?

I was at a battle with myself on stove location but eventually concluded that was the best location.  Once all set up I realized it was not in my way at all.  I knew I wanted it by a door incase anything happened I could grab and throw, kick, etc the stove out a door.  That gave me two location options.  If I went with the back door I was then forced to place the queen air mattress in front of the front door which the width completely covers, so that wouldn't work.  I could have gone to the back corner on the same side of the tent but that was not close to a door and if I did that the dog beds would be right at the front door and during hunting season, the second cot would have had to cover the front door and we would have to use the back door which would be limited by half a cot width in front of it.  After configuring the tent in all my hunting and family setup ways, this location was the best.  We had no issues walking into the tent and bumping it or having to make an awkward movement to avoid it.  The dogs also never bumped it and I figured they would be the ultimate test of location.  All in all, I think it is placed in the best location for us and the use of a queen mattress inside the tent. 
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 09:09:32 AM »
I'm curious why you had snow trekker do the heat shield instead of Yakima doing both the jack and the shield?
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »
I'm curious why you had snow trekker do the heat shield instead of Yakima doing both the jack and the shield?

The reason was it was an after thought and I didn't feel like driving the hour back up to Yakima tent to purchase a heat shield(if they had one, I never asked so I don't know).
I did know that I didn't want a permanent heat shield.  So a Velcro option was what I wanted.  I know Yakima tent could have sewn in the Velcro strips but while talking on the phone with snowtrekker they mentioned bishs tear mender and said it was the cats meow, and they were correct.

So, how it went was this....
I had Yakima tent install stove jack.
I got tent back from Yakima tent and set it up in the yard.
Put together the wood stove and with out having any experience from a wood stove before I wasn't sure how much heat would be thrown from the bottom and damage the floor in the tent.
I started research fire mats and found snowtrekker had the perfect size fire hearth to fit inside the metal pan I got at the auto parts store.
While talking with them I questioned how close a wall can be to the stove pipe and talked with them.  He said he would feel safer with a heat shield installed.  He explained what it was, I sent him some pictures of the tent and he said he could cut and sew the Velcro on. 
Being that I had spent a few phone calls, emails and picture sharing with snowtrekker, I wanted to give them the business because of their customer service and support.  Even though I got great service and support with Yakima tent, they weren't in the initial conversation about the heat shield.

Hopefully that makes sense and allowed you into my thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:51:31 PM by 92xj »

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 11:33:44 AM »
Now that I have it installed and got experience with it, I wouldn't of needed to install one.  I fired up the stove as hot as I could get it for an hour and kept feeling the hearth, heat shield and the door.  The hearth underneath got a little warm but never even close to hot, the door and its wall was room temperature and the heat shield never got hot,  Could touch it and hold my hand as long as I please.  Do I think it's needed, not at all. But, I will keep it on there because in my uneducated heat transfer head I feel that in the morning after a 9 hour burn with the Idaho logs, the little heat they are producing the heat shield is throwing back my way over the stove.  Whether that happens or not, I don't know, but I felt like it helped in the mornings.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 12:55:50 PM »
If you don't mind sharing, what was the cost for the work done to the tent/

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »
I would recommend budgeting between $95 and $150 depending on the size, flap, clips, etc for the stove jack. I did all my initial contacting and asking of quotes via email with Yakima tent and had responses very quickly. Once I figured exactly what I wanted and had the spare funds I called and did the phone thing with great response.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
I will taje that dog off your hands!!  :chuckle:
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
I don't want him going to Florida to see his sister. That crazy might come steal him!  :chuckle:

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 01:49:44 PM »
92xj,

Really appreciate the detailed replies. I'm much clearer on how to go about this now.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
92xj,

Really appreciate the detailed replies. I'm much clearer on how to go about this now.

Not a problem. Continue to ask questions as they come up. I had a ton of questions and could not find a single person to answer them. The only other Kodiak with a stove jack I've seen is a guy on monstermuleys but never got in contact to be able to ask questions. I put in many hours a day for months researching the things I've spent my hard earned money on and want to help people spend their money wisely and not make the mistakes in the beginning. Please continue to ask things and I'll do what I can to answer.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 02:51:36 PM »
I would recommend budgeting between $95 and $150 depending on the size, flap, clips, etc for the stove jack. I did all my initial contacting and asking of quotes via email with Yakima tent and had responses very quickly. Once I figured exactly what I wanted and had the spare funds I called and did the phone thing with great response.

That is much cheaper than a wall tent with a stove jack and these are much easier and quicker to set up! I like the idea running the pipe out the side, with the built in overhead storage net, you can set your wet clothes out directly above the stove with out a pipe in the way.  Im already looking forward to hunting season and having wood heat!

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
There is an accessory tab in the dead center of the end walls where you attach the storage hangers. Tie up a rope with ten loops or so spaced out and then string the rope between those two center accessory hook things. The rope will be above your hammock and then place hangers on all your loops and hang your clothing to dry. Being tied in the center up top it will be using the roof cross bar to hold the weight. If you load up the hammock it's using the flex rods and just the fabric and the sides will creep in some.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:55:16 PM by 92xj »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]