collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice for a Colorado hunter in WA  (Read 9737 times)

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Advice for a Colorado hunter in WA
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 08:52:14 PM »
The peninsula still has a bit of DNR and USFS land available.  Or you can get a tree farm permit to add to that.  The permits go on sale kind of late, though.  Seem to recall Rayonier being mid August.  The OTC GMUs are on the western half.  The eastern half is 'bull elk' special permit.  And the permit dates are usually the same as the general dates, so if you don't get a bull on the permit--you don't get the back up of going to a general area.

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 09:03:49 AM »
Just found out I'm slated to go to Carson next (Colorado Springs)! Can't wait... only hope it stays that way, don't have official orders yet. I hope I hope I hope  :drool:

Offline cardinalguns

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: WAC, NRA Life Member, Boone & Crockett, FFL, NSSF
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 11:03:03 AM »
Fort Carson is good, but Colorado Springs is turning into a smaller version of Denver. It used to be such a nice little city...

FWIW, my brother lives in Kiowa, not a horrible drive from Ft. Carson- you can find space to roam and shoot out in Elbert County.

Offline BGLEMIN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 11:29:39 AM »
I too am a recent transplant from CO. Been in WA for two years now. Got an archery bull my first weekend out in 2013! My fiance nearly sealed the deal last season on a beautiful 6x6 at 16yds, but elected to pass as she was concerned the arrow might deflect off a branch. I commend her for having the intestinal fortitude to pass rather than wound. I had a botched opportunity at a 5x4 during early muzzy, came in silent to a call session I had and caught me munching my lunch  :chuckle: We have only hunted thus far in SW WA. We have been in elk and at least seen them on every adventure out. How??

I use the same tactics as I did in CO. We hunt steep, dark timber away from the roads. I look for areas that are north or east facing, has water within 2 miles, and has clear cuts or meadows for grass...also within 2 miles. You don't have to hear an elk to call an elk, but you should hold your position for up to an hour after calling, and yes you can call in elk in any season! I suggest listening to audio clips of herd talk...forget the bugling and estrus whines. You want to sound like a couple cows and calves chatting with each other, and call softly. Have at least three different sounding cow calls.

Bottom line...there are great elk hunting opportunities in WA from what I've discovered. You have to get in the woods though. Think outside the box and hunt in those spots no one else is because they don't look like "good" elk spots. You'll find elk there because they've been pushed out of the "good" spots. Best of luck!!
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »
Biggest bull I've ever seen was a 7 point about four miles from a town and maybe half mile off a main highway in thick stuff. Of course it was opening day of deer season (rifle) and I blew a cow call after snapping a twig. Stood there for about five minutes hoping anything around that may have heard me thought I was just an elk and he came in silent until he was 20 yards. Then he snapped a twig, I turned around, and he was standing there staring at me. Stood there for about two minutes just staring at me before walking off just as silent as he came in.

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »
I have hunted Coloradoe and all I can say is why did you leave ? Must be that darn over rated work thing,but since your staying in Washington get a bow . Unless you like moveing punmpkin patches, or exspensive guides.One thing for sure starting on this forum is a very good place to start there are some good people on here ready to point you in the right derection . As long as your punctuality is correct.  :chuckle:welcome to the evergreen state,with all the laws and regulations , ( just conform and try to comply,in otherwords try to fit the criteria that can change yearly ) :bash: :bash: :bash:
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline bowhuntersd

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »
Save your money and go back to Colorado. This state is far from worth it. good luck.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 11:04:26 PM »
I too am a recent transplant from CO. Been in WA for two years now. Got an archery bull my first weekend out in 2013! My fiance nearly sealed the deal last season on a beautiful 6x6 at 16yds, but elected to pass as she was concerned the arrow might deflect off a branch. I commend her for having the intestinal fortitude to pass rather than wound. I had a botched opportunity at a 5x4 during early muzzy, came in silent to a call session I had and caught me munching my lunch  :chuckle: We have only hunted thus far in SW WA. We have been in elk and at least seen them on every adventure out. How??

I use the same tactics as I did in CO. We hunt steep, dark timber away from the roads. I look for areas that are north or east facing, has water within 2 miles, and has clear cuts or meadows for grass...also within 2 miles. You don't have to hear an elk to call an elk, but you should hold your position for up to an hour after calling, and yes you can call in elk in any season! I suggest listening to audio clips of herd talk...forget the bugling and estrus whines. You want to sound like a couple cows and calves chatting with each other, and call softly. Have at least three different sounding cow calls.

Bottom line...there are great elk hunting opportunities in WA from what I've discovered. You have to get in the woods though. Think outside the box and hunt in those spots no one else is because they don't look like "good" elk spots. You'll find elk there because they've been pushed out of the "good" spots. Best of luck!!

:yeah: Very sound advice, which has worked for my wife and myself several times. PM me and maybe we can share some information with one another.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 11:29:11 PM »
I think some guys are just trying to scare you off. I would likely look at SW WA if I was in your shoes.
Personally I rifle hunt the Penninsula because it's close to home and I know the area. I seldom see another hunter except when driving to and from. Things have went down hill as far as elk hunting in recent years but I think it is not unrealistic to expect to kill a bull every three years or so. I used to think I was a cinch every year but that is history. You can hunt the timber company land and that will be mostly looking at clearcuts and trying to guess from sign where the elk will show up. Or you can go Public Land and get into some timber. One thing for sure pre-season scouting and just familiarizing yourself with an area is what will get you an elk. One other thing, IMO if you can drive to the place your chances are poor. I hunt off a bicycle mostly. Well, really not hunt off it but it gets me in past the gate a ways. 
Bruce Vandervort

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 07:12:14 PM »
RAINEAR BLV.
loction location location ! perzackly !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics