collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shipping a dog  (Read 10758 times)

Offline AspenBud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Shipping a dog
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »
So I may have found a pup I want. The thing is, the dog is in the Midwest and I would need to have it shipped out here somehow to get it.

What is the best method for this and what can I expect to pay?

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: Shipping a dog
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »
There are services for this kind of thing.  Probably looking at about $300-$500
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:27:26 AM »
Ask the breeder they should be versed in the costs/carriers. I am expecting a pup with a plane ticket in Mid April. My breeder had all the details for transportation.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »
I shipped an adult dog with Alaska a few years ago, $425 Portland to Boston.  Try hard to get a nonstop flight, even if you have to drive to a farther away airport.  I had a lot of fears due to media horror stories, but it went great, 6 hours after I dropped her off, my mom said she came out of her crate smiling and wagging.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:22:33 AM »
Delta used to be the go to back when I was still dealing with this.  The last time I had a dog shipped the owner of the dog arranged and paid it shipped from Phoenix to Boise and I went down and picked her up at the cargo bay they had he in the shade and made sure she was kept cool.  Many airlines do this you should be able to just call and get the information.  I agree the person selling you the dog should know this dog breeders and show people I know all have done this at least once or twice.

Most cannot ship during certain temps too low or too high.  But spring is usually a good time to ship dogs. All the horror stories I heard were 3rd hand anyone I know who has shipped dogs tended to have good reports.  All my experiences with shipped animals have also been good (dogs, birds).

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »
I've shipped one and recieved 2  both times were Delta,no problems either time,I'd suggest throwing it out there that your getting one and hope you can get someone else that's looking interested in one,two can be shipped in the same crate at the same shipping cost.I got 2 in one crate,my buddy actually got 3 pointers in one crate and sold the other two when they got here,that way he had a "pick".

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:41:29 PM »
Delta is my go too as well.  I've shipped my dog on numerous occasions with them.  Whatever you do, DO NOT use Gundog Express. 

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »
Just for clarity's sake I got word from a friend that the litter was on the ground and the breeder is dropping the price because most of the lined up buyers wanted females and the litter is almost all male. Sire is out of CH Dateline Blacklist and 3X CH HiFive Wrangler breeding and the dam is out of Crow's Little Joe (not sure how far out).

I have not talked to this guy yet, have to have a talk with my other half tonight, just gathering info here. For all I know they will all have been taken by the time I call (if).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:36:23 PM by AspenBud »

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
Delta is my go too as well.  I've shipped my dog on numerous occasions with them.  Whatever you do, DO NOT use Gundog Express.

Gundog Express only goes as far as Montana anyhow at which point the cost effectiveness goes down fast with gas and motel rooms.

But what's the problem with them?

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »
They showed up 2 days late, dropped my dog off 3 days late, and the driver left the dog at the wrong address, under a tree.  The driver did all that with very specific instructions (which were ignored) on how, and where to find the address to drop my dog off.  I told her the GPS would not find the address but she come fly disregarded me.  The driver (owners wife) then tried to blame the trainer, who was suppose to recieve the dog.  LUCKILY when We finally got ahold of her to find out where my dog was, the trainer knew the kennels she described.  They are lucky My dog was found, or the lawsuit I was going to file would have put them out of business.  Since then, I have talked to numerous people with other very bad experiences. 

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
How much is a ticket for you to fly out and get the pup in person? I did this with one I got out of N. Carolina and the little sucker rode on my lap on the way back. Breeder met me at the airport with the pooch and jumped back on a plane for Portland. Just a thought.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 03:17:25 PM »
I know a guy who runs a dog transportation business. I sent two dogs with him to new owners. I think it was about $700 one way to Alabama.

Bittersweet Pet Transportation- Edgar Johnson.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Waldo84

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 08:03:15 AM »
I also used Edgar with Bittersweet to bring my pup from Wisconsin to me. My pup came out of his suburban happy as can be. He sent me text messages or gave me a call with updates on where he was and how the puppy was doing. Great guy who loves dogs. You can find him on Facebook.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:12:49 AM by Waldo84 »
If it Flies, It dies

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 07:27:40 PM »
I know Edgar personally. He's a longtime Chessie guy too.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline freberd

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 06:28:54 AM »
We just got our Chessie puppy from Minnesota less than 2 weeks ago.
We shipped a crate from amazon to the Breeder and we used Delta Airlines
About $250.00
Puppy was great no poddy in kennel

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal