collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recurve questions  (Read 1690 times)

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Recurve questions
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:11:33 PM »
I'm wondering about a new string for my recurve, is there a benefit to the Flemish twist strings? Also can anyone recommend a good quiver for a recurve?
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
Re: Recurve questions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
So many reasons why a Flemish is better both in looks and use. Especially around the loops where endless loops can be more easily damaged then a padded Flemish twist. Plus it took me a few hours to learn to build a Flemish string.

For quiver, it depends on if you want a bow, back, side, etc kind. I prefer safari tuff Arrowmaster because it protects my arrows and keeps my fletching dry. And makes creeping through the woods easier. Pricey but I was given one at a 3D tournament.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline HillSlick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Recurve questions
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 05:35:48 PM »
The quiver thing depends on things Like personal taste and  What style of hunting you are doing.

-"Progress once meant hope for the future, now it will destroy it."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:32:37 PM by HillSlick »

Offline clayton95

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:34:38 AM »
Tracker0721 is right about the flemish strings. Learn how to twist your own and field repairs are easy and quick if needed. I do take a spare string with me still.

I have Thunderhorn and Kanati bow quivers. I liked the Thunderhorn better. I do like the Arrowmaster better than bow quivers though, for the same reasons as already mentioned. I don't think a back quiver works very well for hunting, I do use one once in a while for stump shooting though. Lots of options for quivers.

Try to borrow one first if you can to see if you like it before you buy it.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »
If you use the flemish string and are adjusting brace height by twisting/untwisting, be aware of which way you twist, they can/will come undone. Don't ask me how I know this  ;)
I use a hip quiver

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
A good Flemish string is usually quieter too.  The serving on an endless string usually needs some sort of pad on the bow to ride quietly.  Whereas the Flemish is not only softer but larger as well.  Really is surprising how much quieter they are.

X2 on the untwisting of the string.  If too short it's best to just have a new string made of the proper length.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal