collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: looking for high hunt partner  (Read 5277 times)

Offline nontypical

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
looking for high hunt partner
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:08:59 PM »
So I have been going back and forth for a long time about submitting this post.  So here it goes.  I am looking for a partner who wants to go on the high hunt this fall.  I've never done it before so it will be a learning experience.  I am 37 married with children. I am a long time hunter with lots of experience hunting deer in sagebrush and wheat fields, just not in mountain's.  I live in central wa.  Looking for someone that is patient and is willing to get off the beaten path.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: looking for high hunt partner
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »
There'll be a bunch more looking to pair up as we get to mid summer. Watch deer and backcountry threads.

You might add in some info.  Are you equiped? Can you be fully self contained down to shelter, food prep, water filter etc? Are you water proof? Dry sacks, pack cover, boots, bivy,rain gear?  Ever backpacked if not pack hunted?  How fit are you? How steep or messy before you'd either say not worth it or get sketched out? You'll likely be pairing up with another new or limited experience guy until/unless you can establish a minimum capacity to get to far flung places and have the gear to be able to stay there.  No matter who you pair with, better do a bunch of pack work with weight to get ready for the riggors.  Best of luck to you and post a story when you're done.

Offline pjb3

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »
would that be for muley?

Offline nontypical

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 02:07:30 PM »
So to answer your question yes it is for mule deer.  As to the request for more info on me.  Yes I will be fully equipped.  I am basically looking for someone to check in with periodically.  Not someone to hod my hand.  I am in OK shape.  I hike a least five days a week.  I pack #50  of water up the steepest hill around Ephrata trying to get into shape for it.  I am not scared to go into a hell hole as long as the reward is worth it.  Just looking for a adventure.  I am not one looking just to notch a tag either, needs to be a qaulity animal.  So hopefully I have answered the questions.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »
[quote author=nontypical link=topic=172837.msg2302466#msg2302466 date=1430428050 Yes I will be fully equipped....  I am basically looking for someone to check in with periodically.  Not someone to hod my hand.  I am in OK shape.  I hike a least five days a week.  I pack #50  of water up the steepest hill around Ephrata trying to get into shape for it.  I am not scared to go into a hell hole as long as the reward is worth it.  Just looking for a adventure.  I am not one looking just to notch a tag either, needs to be a qaulity animal.  So hopefully I have answered the questions.
[/quote]

Hope you didn't take it wrong.  wasn't suggesting you were anything but able, just letting you know that people are going to want to know that stuff.  Based on your last post... when the season starts to get on the horizon you should have no problems at all finding a partner.  Worth it... that's the trouble.  You can do hella lot of ball busting to get into places. As long as adventure makes it worth it, it will be!

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 08:23:12 PM »
   if you don't find a bud by july I might be tempted.  only one drawback is I am 74 but in great shape.  my ballbusting days are dimming.  have hunted  the high country in the 60's -90's but have since lost all of my partners.    keep me on the backshelf.  live in Othello.   mike w

Offline nontypical

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 06:14:11 PM »
No I didn't. I was just saying I hope that was the info that you suggested people would want to know.  I appreciate all the advice I can get.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
The high hunt can be as easy as going up Toats Coulee, parking at the end of the road at the wilderness boundry and hunting from there.   Or there are some other spots that the boundry is about 8 miles from the road.

I hunted Glacier Peak Wilderness for 20 years.

Offline IslandStorm62

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 09:10:53 AM »
I am planning my first High Buck Hunt (Sep).  Going solo into Mount Skokomish Wilderness Area (never been there). I have been hunting on/off for a few years.  I am not very good, hence the reason for going into the High Country, to give myself more time in the field and increase my odds.  When you say high hunt, are you referring to the season or the location? Willing to meet and discuss.

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »
  the high hunt is in mid-sept and is in the high country, roadless area and quite rough.    mike w

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
tag. Maybe

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »
What area?  I'm on the west side and am looking at some options.

Offline nontypical

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »
I am thinking about the glacier wilderness.  Going in June to start scouting.  Looking to try and go in places where there is no trails.  Maybe that way I can get away from the hikers.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »
I am thinking about the glacier wilderness.  Going in June to start scouting.  Looking to try and go in places where there is no trails.  Maybe that way I can get away from the hikers.

just remember..... the further and nastier the way in, the further and nastier the two trips out (if you shoot something).

Offline mendozer

• Hunter
  • seattle, wa
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »
My friend and I would be game for a backpacking style hunt. We're 31 and 27, fit, and equipped to handle the longer treks. I was planning okanagan for rifle season anyways if that's what you're interested in.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal