collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post your 2015 birds here!  (Read 34523 times)

Offline Yelper Guy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
Re: Post your 2015 birds here!
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2015, 09:32:29 AM »
Oops, here's the Gobbler

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »
Is that a double beard Muley ?
Yes it is.
Does a dbl beard mean the bird is older or? Does it just signify awesomeness.

I think it means half their brain went into growing an extra beard, they're the easy ones to get....   :chuckle:

My 11 year old daughters bird. We worked this bird on Easter Sunday from 6:00am till 11:30am (public land). He would gobble occasionally but he wouldn't close the distance.

About 10:30am my daughter said "let's give it another hour then roll". At 11:25 we hadn't heard a word for an hour and she asked if she could practice using the slate call. I said "sure why not it can't do any harm", lol

I started calling with a Phelps reed and a slate call and she was using a slate. We were quietly laughing cause it was so obnoxious and noisy as we generally only call occasionally. Three minutes later he was standing 10 yards from the blind, probably came from 300 yards and was gobbling the entire time on a dead run. What ever works I guess! Not sure I would call like that again but it did work once :=)

When we walked over to him we realized he had two beards. Later that day when we cut his tail and the two beards off we found that he had a third beard about 3 inches long! He weighed 20.2 lbs. Great Easter with my daughter and she said "definitely worth missing out on the candy" lol

:tup:  I had one once with about twenty hens, I lined up my different calls and just started going crazy with them to sound like a bunch of birds, he dropped at about 25 yards.   :)  Definitely a time and place for that kind of calling.

Her's mine with the crossbow, anyone else use one this year?

Offline kodiak 907

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »
One of the toms I got on opening day.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2015, 02:57:16 PM »
The other one.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline WoolyRunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »
Last Ditch Meadow

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2015, 05:38:46 PM »

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2015, 06:35:44 PM »
double 10 1/8" beard on the tom 5" beard on the hen!
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »
Got one this morning and ready for the boss
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Jester052

• Hunter
  • est. 1984
  • Groups: USMC, IBEW LU46, NWTF Lake Washington Longbeards.
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
My "Eastern"! Thank goodness for County of kill. But he kinda looks like a Merriam to me. He's super dark though, his body is pitch black and wing feathers aren't brown they are darker also.
Cuss on Monday,  Pray on Sunday,  Pass It Around and Talk About Someday.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"
CAPT LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." 

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC,

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
Central wa bird. Just a jake but I'll hunt for a tom now.

Offline gun-dog

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »
Got this guy today.  Just a Jake, but I have never hunted so hard for a Jake......EVER.  Saw him 3 days ago and have been hunting hard to get him ever since.  I saw him on Friday at 22 yards, I couldn't get a shot because he was behind a log, one of his friends made me when I tried to get in a better position and the whole group spooked.  I saw him again yesterday but the birds took a different path than the one I was on and they walked about 100 yards to my south.  Today, I was in the perfect spot, I got to watch him strut for a hen and watched them walk the path right to me.  I dropped him at 15 yards.  Awesome day in the turkey woods!  Some people might think I went to a farm and shot one of the farmers turkeys though.....hahah
“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war, or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2015, 10:59:08 PM »
That's an awesome bird!

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
Post your 2015 birds here!
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »
Here's my secound gobbler of the year with my 8 year old son Elijah possing with the Tom. 27 pounder :drool:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline Jarhead Chase

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NDA
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2015, 10:03:25 PM »
I have never actually went out looking specifically for turkey before this year. I have bought a tag a few times in case I run into one when I am out for deer, but never tried calling or anything like that. With that being said, here is my first bird.

I got home from work today at around 2 am, and was out in the woods by 10 am. I was supposed to be working this afternoon, but my boss switched my days around, and I ended up having today off. I drove down some of the dirt roads to see if I could see any obvious sign of any recent bird activity, but didn't find any. I decided to park and walk into a place that I had scouted last year for deer. I start walking in, and long before I get to my spot I start thinking that the area I am in looks like gobbler paradise. Lots of fresh grasses and Ponderosa Pine trees, plenty of good places to set up, and millions of bugs floating around and making noise. I sit down and start cold calling, but as soon as I stopped and listened for an answer I heard a nice loud buzzing. I look behind me, and there are bees flying in and out of a hole in the ground about 2 feet from my backside. A little while later I am set up in my actual deer spot, far away from the buzzing little black and yellow hell beasts. I don't see any sign, but I figure what the heck. I sit in the shade of a young pine and begin to cold call. I don't have any cover in front of me, but I am in the shade, and I am in full body camo, including a mesh facemask. Time flies, and before I know it, it is about 12:15. I hear a gobble off in the distance, but it is several hundred yards away, and I have never tried calling before. At around 12:30 I see about a 2 year old buck (I saw these two last year repeatedly in the same spot. He was a spike last year and is either a 2x2 or a small 2x3 this year from the look of things) and a doe come feeding in towards me. They came within 40 or 50 yards but had no idea I was there. They feed out of view at around 1pm. As soon as they were gone I started cold calling again. As soon as I hit that slate call a gobbler scared the bejesus out of my by gobbling about 40 yards away through some thick brush. We talked to each other for about 45 minutes, and I even had a few of his hens walked in at just the right spot, and started talking to him and me at the same time. He started off gobbling after I would call, but finally got fed up and would gobble in the middle of a calling sequence. Once I figured he was good and curious I put the call down and let him gobble a time or two without answering. He apparently doesn't like when someone stops mid conversation either, so he came to investigate. At about 40 yards, I could just see his head sticking out over the grass and couldn't even confirm that he was a Tom until he walked within about 30 yards of me and gobbled. He put his head down for just a second, which was just enough time for me to raise my shotgun. As soon as he lifted again my shotgun did what shotguns do, he hit the ground, and I was able to take the beautiful 2 year old tom as my first turkey. I didn't measure the spurs, but would estimate just under an inch. The beard measured 8 1/2". The entire time I was calling I was half in disbelief that it was actually working. I tried some advice (mostly from on here) that seemed counter-intuitive at the time, but it all paid off. Thanks to everyone who has provided advice. Here is my bird.
There is something just indescribably painful about being stuck behind a prius on the interstate.

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2015, 10:05:35 PM »
Got this bird with my 4 year old and a good friend.  We used a cat tractor as our backstop :chuckle:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal