collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First year of hunting, Could someone help me?  (Read 7165 times)

Offline newhunter2015

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
First year of hunting, Could someone help me?
« on: April 15, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
Looking to for some help. I've been lurking Google, but not finding clear answers. I just took/passed my hunters ED class this last weekend, So now I'm looking into what to do next. I was told to start scouting areas and that's where I'm hitting a wall. I plan on hunting deer this year for modern firearm, and I'm trying to find out where I can hunt.

I'm not asking for anyone to tell me their hunting spots (like 1mile from such and such road) cause I know that's really a no no. What I really need to know if I can go hunting in the national forest/park. More specific Olympic peninsula areas GMU 607/603/624/621. I know if you want to go hunting on private land you need permission, Also that a lot of logging companies own lots of land and you need to buy permits from them.

I've seen lots of maps of the areas I want to scout out, but I just need to know if its legal to hunt in national forest/park. I went to the national park website it said fire arms are ok cause of a law passed in 2010, But it doesn't say if I could or couldn't hunt in Olympics. But there was another park that allowed fire arm and said clearly no hunting allowed.

Thanks for any help.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: First year of hunting, Could someone help me?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »
Yes to the national forest and no to the park.  There's lots of good hunting out your way.  Think about hunting elk too.  Good luck!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:23:02 PM »
Can't hunt the national park.  The Forest service, DNR and certain tree farms are OK.  There are so many options to the GMUs you listed, I barely know where to start.
You can hunt in the wilderness areas of the national forest.  A few of those in 621.  How familiar are you with the roads in the units you listed?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
Congratulations on passing Hunter Ed! :tup: You'll have to read up on the regulations for the areas in which you'll hunt. Google is your friend. I believe there's no hunting in the Olympic National Park, but in the National Forest, it's OK. It would be helpful if you had a GPS and an OnXMaps chip for WA. It'll show you GMU boundaries and identify public and private lands with landowner names.

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll get more help from those who live in your area or the area you're looking to hunt.
PMan
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline newhunter2015

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 12:31:10 PM »

Yes to the national forest and no to the park.  There's lots of good hunting out your way.  Think about hunting elk too.  Good luck!

Can't hunt the national park.  The Forest service, DNR and certain tree farms are OK.  There are so many options to the GMUs you listed, I barely know where to start.
You can hunt in the wilderness areas of the national forest.  A few of those in 621.  How familiar are you with the roads in the units you listed?

Was pretty sure no hunting in the park, but wanted to be sure. The park/forest boundaries are close in some areas. So thank you both for clearing that up.

I actually know a spot out pass lake crescent. I've seen a black bear, cougar, and lots of deer out there (I do a lot of camping). I live in Sequim and I've seen Elk, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

Snip

Thanks  :) I will look into the map.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »

Was pretty sure no hunting in the park, but wanted to be sure. The park/forest boundaries are close in some areas. So thank you both for clearing that up.

I actually know a spot out pass lake crescent. I've seen a black bear, cougar, and lots of deer out there (I do a lot of camping). I live in Sequim and I've seen Elk, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

Snip

Thanks  :) I will look into the map.

I grew up hunting out past Crescent.  My grandfather lived in Sequim and my first memories are hunting and fishing with him and my father.  Good luck.  There's a ton of good area out your way!

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 03:44:30 PM »
Here is a link where you can read up on last years rules and look at the exact definitions of gmu's that are open. This years regs pamphlet isn't out yet, but there won't be any massive changes from the 2014 pamphlet. I would suggest reading it several times. Welcome aboard!

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline TonyRH

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 04:44:02 PM »
Excellent on the ED pass! FYI, the new WA regs are out and there are a few new changes, I suggest reading it more then 2 times. Hope to hear about a first year harvest from ya, good luck.

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »
Go get some Off road maps. Like the other guys said you can hunt state DNR, Federal BLU LAND, Washington fish and game land, some logging company lands. If I where you I would pick up a Garmin 650 and a ON maps hunt chip.  Than I would pack my camping gear,fishing pole and scout ever weekend. The GPS will show the state and federal lands. Drive the back roads, hike and make on the GPS good clear cuts and trails. Also mark animal'so you spot. Goodluck go east to hunt if you want to avoid paying for permit.
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline JasonARGY

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »
Newhunter, I am also new to hunting, not to the area, but as far as hunting, I know absolutely nothing. I am located in Port Angeles, if you are still around and ever need a scouting buddy, let me know and I would love to tag along. I have started a little late as I haven't done any scouting at all yet but my plan for this year is to hunt the whole archery season as much as I can and expect to not bag anything, just make as many mistakes as possible and maybe get super lucky. My issue is also not knowing where to hunt and what is private and what isn't but I am hoping to at least get a few scouting sessions in near town before I attempt any hunting.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]