collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nootka sound  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Nootka sound
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:36:32 PM »
I know it is late planning but Thinking of a trip to bc this summer for salmon and halibut. First choice was winter harbor but everything during the time frame I wanted is booked. Not a surprise. So second choice is Nootka. Anyone haven't experience up there? Looking at end of July. Thoughts and or suggestions appreciated.

Offline klikboom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Die Living ... if you have a choice.
Re: Nootka sound
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:03:28 PM »
My buddy goes up there every year. I went up with him a few years back in late July we didn't do very well. August is when he usually goes and he fills the freezer. We trailered the boat across the ferry and slept in the boat and stayed at that floating dock there.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:48:17 PM »
We go to Nootka every year in July and stay at Critter Cove. This year we leave July 18th and come home July 23rd. We have never had an issue getting our possession limit of Kings and an occasional Coho. If you want more Coho, later would be the way to go. The fish are extraordinary big when we go but usually average 20lbs or so. We trailer up, take the Port Angeles ferry across to Victoria and then drive to Gold River. We stay the night in Gold River and then early the next morning dump the boat in at Gold Rivet and run the ~20 miles out to the cabins. Let's know if you have specific questions.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:04:36 PM »
Super fun trip! Lots of water to explore. When I went the better fishing was a pretty good run from Critter Cove up some inside passage through some strait and back out to the ocean..... Can't remember the name of the area? Be carefull  there's some big sharks hanging out under the floating dock system. The big joke when we were there was jaws was going to come up through the floor!!!!!! :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »
Super fun trip! Lots of water to explore. When I went the better fishing was a pretty good run from Critter Cove up some inside passage through some strait and back out to the ocean..... Can't remember the name of the area? Be carefull  there's some big sharks hanging out under the floating dock system. The big joke when we were there was jaws was going to come up through the floor!!!!!! :chuckle:
I know exactly where you are talking about, but can't remember the name off hand either. Last year we caught a few fish out there, but by the end of our trip we were catching them right off Camel Rock.

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »
Thanks for he replies. No boat for me so would be a charter out of zeballos

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »
Always loved going up there.  Been going for 15 years. Used to just camp on shore at the light house and almost always fished outside the light house. Bajo reef was always good and you'd pick up some good lings. Maquinna was another sweet spot too. Anymore though we stay at critter cove and fish indide mostly and maybe make a run outside for bottom fish a couple days. Is ferrier where hes talking about? I wanna say thats where most people fish if they are out of tasis.

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:02:52 PM »
Found a charter with an open date. Booked two days fishing out of zeballos with reel obsession charters. Very excited for the trip for my dad and I. Looking forward to a great time.

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »
Hi all

Heading up next week for my trip. I have ferry reservations for the way over as I know when we will be heading to fishing. But not sure on the way back. We will be done fishing on wed and be heading home. Since I am not sure on when we will be leaving Nootka I am up in the air on making reservations.

My current plan is to leave Nootka when we are done fishing and see what time we get to nanaimo. If we hit the late ferry great (I don't mind driving late). If not just plan on getting a hotel and hopping on the ferry in the am.

For those of you who have done the trip does that sound reasonable? Or should I have a hotel and ferry reservation already done? Does the ferry usually fill on a weekday morning or late evening I guess is my question.

Offline blacktailcody

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »
I don't know if you have a place you are planning staying but http://www.nootkawildernesslodge.com is what I would recommend.

You should be fine getting a ferry.

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »
We never made reservations for the way back. Screwed us once by one rig but most other times we were able to get right on the next boat. Worst case waiting for another.  I wanna say we usually fished the morning then headed for gold river around 10. Which would 6ou us in Nanaimo with enough time to wau out two boats if need be.

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 06:33:17 AM »
Just got home last night from Nootka. We left Critter Cove at 6:10am and we were passing the Nanaimo exit shortly after 11am after a 20 minute stop in Campbell River for fuel and ice. When you get to Campbell River you can always check to see how full the ferry is and make reservations then if needed.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal