collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can someone explain to me the mule deer strategy in NE WA?  (Read 8731 times)

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Can someone explain to me the mule deer strategy in NE WA?
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:47:46 PM »
 I grew up and have spent a very big part of my life hunting in unit 105 for 30+ years and have watched the mule deer numbers just plummet. I remember when I was 10 years old the first year I hunted we saw lots of muleys and saw them for years to come... my 3rd year hunting I killed a small muley up there. Saw people who had them hanging in their camps and backs of trucks. Fast forward to present day and I spend even more time hunting and scouting the area than I had ever done when I was younger. I have cams up,spend time during spring bear now and camp more with family in the summer and I cant remember the last mule deer I saw :'( . Why is the WDFW allowing OTC mule deer hunting in these units? years ago all you heard was kill the whitetail to help protect the mule deer herds. I dont think mule deer hunting should be OTC in any of the units in NE WA, but maybe 101 and I still would like to see hunter numbers controlled. There is awesome terrain up there for muleys that once had herds on them are void now.

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
Re: Can someone explain to me the mule deer strategy in NE WA?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:58:18 PM »
Good question. I have no experience in that part of the state,  but I know the businesses up there are happy that people come up there for whitetails. I'd be very surprised to hear that hunters would flock up there for muleys if it isn't a whopper-quality area like you've got for whitetails. Money talks in politics.  You'll have to ask the bios for the last 30 years this question.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
I would have to think a couple bad winters really hurt them up there ?
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »
I'd say the biggest deal with low deer in the 105 is WOLVES. I know here in the 101, I see mule deer all the time. They have skyrocketed in numbers since I moved here, but, we have a ton of whitetails too and not a lot of wolves, YET. The wolves are here and I hear of them being spotted all the time. They are not reported because the WDFW WON'T do anything about the wolves..
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 02:01:13 PM »
My guess is that the decrease in mule deer in the NE is due to the suppression of forest fires over the last several decades.

Or in one word- habitat.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:12:31 PM »
My guess is that the decrease in mule deer in the NE is due to the suppression of forest fires over the last several decades.

Or in one word- habitat.

Definitely a jungle up there.  We may get too much fire this year though.  Pretty dry this year, and there is way too much fuel!   :bdid: 

I think we don't give enough credit to the damage mountain lions / wolves do to Mule Deer.   And we all know that the spineless WDFW has refused to address the predator issue. 

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:19:03 PM »

Or in one word- habitat.

You wanna hear something funny bobcat. The forest circus posted in our little paper that this spring is going to be good for prescribed fires...
Doesn't make sense, since it's nearly 70 degrees right now and dry....

Offline MooseZ25

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 02:21:27 PM »
It is defiantly the lack of predator control.  No hounds have been used since 2010 and wolves have been taking over.  :bash:
Live Every Day To The Fullest

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 02:36:36 PM »

Or in one word- habitat.

My thoughts as well. A lot of the area up there isn't conducive for mule deer to thrive and now with all the predators, they are fighting an uphill battle. We used to see a handful of mulies in the fields and bordering little hills but its been a while since I have seen one up that way. 
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 02:58:57 PM »
I think you guys must be in a different state. We have a lot of muleys up here. My wife saw nearly 30 in one group 2 weeks ago coming home from work. I saw about a dozen today going to Republic..... They do disappear for hunting season though. :chuckle:

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »
It's also that almost all the original old growth in the region has been cut and replaced with denser younger forest.  Some real old codgers who hunt near us have a land locked piece in the middle of NF.  They've hunted there since their teens.  They say they used to hunt Mule deer all over the area and took some great ones. Before the logging and reprod growth.  You still see em way up on the tops and in the high clear cuts. Not many though.  You can stop hunting them and I don't think it'll do much for their population.  Note too that the "wedge" whitetail suppression tags put out a few years back was an attempt to see if they could improve mule deer numbers by supressing whitetail.  I remember the WDFW remarking that the cats in the area also preferred mule deer and have an outsized impact on them.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
I think you guys must be in a different state. We have a lot of muleys up here. My wife saw nearly 30 in one group 2 weeks ago coming home from work. I saw about a dozen today going to Republic..... They do disappear for hunting season though. :chuckle:

You're talking unit 101, this thread was mostly in reference to the units east of there.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »

You're talking unit 101, this thread was mostly in reference to the units east of there.

I know that. Most people stay with a certain area and don't look elsewhere. Look at all the guys that say they've hunted someplace for 30 years and don't expand. The 105 is a hop, skip and a jump from here. If you read the topic line only, it says nothing about the 105, until you read what the op wrote. So, it's open game.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 03:54:59 PM »
Everyone knows there are no mule deer in the NE corner...

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 04:10:31 PM »
habitat.  The high country hasn't burned in years.  The "good ol' days" for mule deer were a result of the huge 1910 fire.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal