collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blues or Nooksack with your Quality Points?  (Read 33001 times)

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Blues or Nooksack with your Quality Points?
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »
I'm getting to the point where I have a critical mass of quality points and actually have a chance of drawing some good hunts, but I'm really not in a hurry and am pretty indifferent to which side of the state I'm on.

So, is the Nooksack tag worth my precious years of waiting or should I be holding out for a blues tag?  Part of me thinks it is in the eye of the beholder and I do like the looks of those Nooksack bulls. 

Thoughts from the masses?

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Blues or Nooksack with your Quality Points?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:37:51 AM »
If I got a tag to hunt anywhere in Washington, it would be the Blues.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »
Nooksack  :tup:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »
If I got a tag to hunt anywhere in Washington, it would be the Blues.

Nooksack  :tup:

These first two comments really sum up my internal dilemma.  I lean a little towards Nooksack because I'm a wet sider by birth and started hunting west side roosies in SW wa and like the dark look of the antlers.  However, I feel like there's probably better scoring opportunity in the blues.

I haven't actually looked up success rates, but I feel like they're both extremely high.

More thoughts from anyone?

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »
In all seriousness, if you draw Dayton, look me up.  :tup:
You won't be sorry if you have that permit in hand
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline LabChamp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »
Start applying for multi season and put in for both. A little late this year but always next year if you don't draw. I would go blues.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »
Start applying for multi season and put in for both. A little late this year but always next year if you don't draw. I would go blues.

I've got nearly as many multiseason points as I do elk points (jk, not even close), but I've been applying since it became an option.  I've always done Nooksack or Blues depending on which side of the state I've been hunting that particular year.  Now I'm thinking about becoming a little more particular as my hope for luck is turning into an expectation within the next few years.

I'm planning to do my regular season in Idaho this year, so I don't really care about weapon type and state side, but I'm leaning towards muzzy (since I like guns and shooting through brush).  I was going to to west side this year, but I'm starting to think thats a bad idea.  If I draw Nooksack, blues is out of the question for a couple decades.

Offline igotbigbulls

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »
In all seriousness, if you draw Dayton, look me up.  :tup:
You won't be sorry if you have that permit in hand

Im in!!!  :chuckle:
Always loved warm guts on a cold morning

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »
Lol, zero nooksack love here.  I think I get it now...

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »
Probably better odds of drawing a blues tag then the nooksack with the tag numbers. I have always applied for nooksack but started applying for the blues last year. I always told myself I was going to hold out for that once in a lifetime tag, but I am getting impatient and would like to hunt a big bull in washington more then once in my lifetime so I have started applying for some what easier draws.... If there is such a thing  :chuckle:

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »
Probably better odds of drawing a blues tag then the nooksack with the tag numbers. I have always applied for nooksack but started applying for the blues last year. I always told myself I was going to hold out for that once in a lifetime tag, but I am getting impatient and would like to hunt a big bull in washington more then once in my lifetime so I have started applying for some what easier draws.... If there is such a thing  :chuckle:

So you'd PREFER the Nooksack tag over the Blues tag?

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
People say "the Blues" as if it's one unit. Each unit is drastically different in terms of terrain and land ownership.

I say out in for the Nook if you want a big Rosie, and a blues tag if a rocky. IF you put in for the Blues, be VERY honest with your physical ability. I'm tired of hearing people putting in for premier units and finding out that it can be like hunting the Grand Canyon, after they pull a tag. Only to result in a quality tag wasted because they can't handle the terrain.

Stang, this May or may not apply to you. Just a generalization for those permits.

This thread is my dilemma as well. Getting to the point where I have a VERY small chance at a Blues tag, or it could take another 10 years to draw. Do I hunt a "lesser" unit and kill a 300-340" bulls every 5-6 years or wait 12-18 years for a CHANCE at a 380+? Remember, a quality tag doesn't guarantee anything, let alone a monster bull. Most people with those tags end up eating them.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
People say "the Blues" as if it's one unit. Each unit is drastically different in terms of terrain and land ownership.

I say out in for the Nook if you want a big Rosie, and a blues tag if a rocky. IF you put in for the Blues, be VERY honest with your physical ability. I'm tired of hearing people putting in for premier units and finding out that it can be like hunting the Grand Canyon, after they pull a tag. Only to result in a quality tag wasted because they can't handle the terrain.

Stang, this May or may not apply to you. Just a generalization for those permits.

This thread is my dilemma as well. Getting to the point where I have a VERY small chance at a Blues tag, or it could take another 10 years to draw. Do I hunt a "lesser" unit and kill a 300-340" bulls every 5-6 years or wait 12-18 years for a CHANCE at a 380+? Remember, a quality tag doesn't guarantee anything, let alone a monster bull. Most people with those tags end up eating them.

Thats another consideration.  However, I'm 28 and in good health so I think I'm golden.  Since I might be 45+ the next time I draw I'd rather do the most physically demanding one now.

Aren't those Nooksack elk transplanted rocky's anyway, or is that just bad rumor?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 10:37:39 AM »

This is a good post with several good points. What kind of hunt are you looking for? That's probably the most important question. Can you devote the time to learn new areas? It's a 5-6 hour drive to the Blues from here depending on where you want to go. Farm country? Wilderness? Really steep and nasty? Not really steep and nasty? It's more than just killing a big bull down there in the Blues. It's a lot of whether or not a guy can handle the country. There's about a thousand photos on here that willl give a guy a great idea of what they could be in for terrain wise on either hunt. Neither is easy, but they're both very different. Personally, I've got little to no interest in a Nooksack tag.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »
How many points do you have and what weapon?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull