collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Two years ago today.  (Read 8950 times)

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Two years ago today.
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
So in what has become tradition for me, I spent most of last night NOT sleeping, so I read back through all the threads and auctions from the days and weeks that followed that tragic day.  I was once again completely blown away and left in a puddle of tears at what this community did.  When the chips were down, you all rallied for the cause.   You epitomized what it is to be a community, a brotherhood of sportsman, and American's!

I don't think enough thanks were given to Doug and Josh for the hours they put in on all those auctions!  I honestly was so distracted and out of it that I really didn't realize how much actually went on.  By the time the dust settled, I had kind of checked out.  You guys absolutely rocked it!  I can't even begin to wrap my head around how much time those two men spent, away from their families and their normal lives, to coordinate, update, and organize all that chaos.  Thank you gentleman!  From the bottom of my heart, thank you!

Out of the ashes of destruction sprouts new life though.  Aaron was my elk hunting partner, tested and true.  When he was killed, I didn't think I could ever elk hunt with anyone ever again, mostly though, I just didn't want to.  I met a few guys shortly after though that cured me of that.  Coach, Whit, and RT took me in like a brother and showed me how to laugh again.  I just wish they could have shared a few mountain moments with Aaron.  He would have fit right in with the crew.

After Aaron's death, my baby brother Michael felt that more than ever, he needed to be back in the fight.  He applied to Ranger Regiment and was accepted.  He traveled from Ft. Richardson Alaska to Ft. Benning Georgia to join the legendary 75th RANGER Regiment.  He is XO of his company and continues to stand out among a group of men that are already exceptional.  He went hunting in Montana with me last year and fell head over heals back in love with hunting after a long vacation from it!  He applied in Nevada, Colorado, and Idaho with me this year and we have a two week Idaho archery elk hunt planned for this September.  We are gonna leave it all on the mountain for Aaron!

My mom and dad both continue to struggle with the loss of their son.  After my dad did his around the country motorcycle ride, he had lost a large portion of his clients and was forced to give up his business.  He was immediately picked up by a competitor though and loves his new job with this great company.  He is now very active with the Patriot Guard Riders.

Becky and the kids are doing well.  I took Hunter scouting for turkey's the weekend before youth season and called 3 toms into his lap.  All I hear about now is turkeys, turkeys, turkeys!  I'll be taking him with me deer hunting this year, so I should have him completely gut hooked by the end of fall :chuckle:.  Becky is back in school and also has a boyfriend.  He seems to be a squared away guy and he bow hunts.

They say time heals all wounds, but I think thats complete BS!  Time scabs wounds over but they never fully heal I don't think.  I will continue to love and cherish this community for all that they have done for me and my family.  There are men and women on this site that I have never met in person, yet I would walk through fire for in a heart beat.  It seemed like the moments when I was down the worst, a pm would pop up and give me an ear to bend and lots of great words of wisdom that I will forever cherish were exchanged.

I thought it would be kind of neat to see where all those auction items ended up?  Did you kill something with your new bow?  How did your taxi work end up if you were able to use it?  Did your item just not work for you and you trade or sell it? That sort of thing.  Lets see where everything is a few years later.

"We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm." -George Orwell.

feature=youtube_gdata_player
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:10:40 PM by BLRman »
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Two years ago today.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:34:04 PM »
Never had the pleasure to meet your brother, but for some reason that day when I logged on and saw his passing for some reason left me very sad.  I shed a tear for each soldier that I see on the news or hear of passing, they are special to us all.  Go kill a pig in Idaho and God Bless your brother and all those who have gave all.  Take special care on this day.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 07:36:06 PM »
I have no words Karl,  but these.  In a tragic event it has brought together four men that I may of never met or hunted with. 

I never met Aaron, but I thank him daily for the men Iv'e met  who love to hunt just as much as I do... 

As for the ELK CALL, You know where it is..
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:45:12 PM »
Here is mine
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline SCRUBS

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter

Offline kenzmad

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »
Well, since I gave away a couple of septic tank cleanings, i could post up some pics if you want :dunno:

RIP brother
A stranger ain't nothing more than a friend you haven't met yet

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »
Many of us never met him, but he greatly effected all our lives in a positive way!  :tup:

Great to hear his wife and kids are doing good.  :)
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
Well, since I gave away a couple of septic tank cleanings, i could post up some pics if you want :dunno:

RIP brother

That's some funny chit right there!

And the fire wood I donated should be ashes by now. :chuckle:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »

RIP brother
I think we're good :chuckle:

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:12 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Always wishing the best for your family.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 09:54:06 PM »
All of your post all of that is the good stuff.  All of that is what is so missed.  The stuff that makes being alive worth it.  He is the friend I lost before I got to meet and it ...well it sucks.  But I know he would say knock it off run don't make me...lol
your brother was an amazing man.

Sorry colock I still haven't killed a stupid deer.  :P 

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 10:34:13 PM »
Thanks for the update, you have a way with words that tug at the heartstrings.  I feel for you and your family.

I purchased the timbertech decking.  I was actually outbid at the last minute but Nate (Haugenna) offered up a second load of decking for the same price.  Great offer and both donations went to the fund.

I used the decking on my cabin in the colockum and would watch elk pass right below me on their way to their beds.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 11:17:19 PM »
Karl-
thanks for the thanks I guess, but its not necessary. Ever. The time we spent is nothing compared to what your family gave.
That's all I got, brother.
RIP Aaron.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 09:18:30 PM »
Thanks Karl, love hearing about young Hunter and his start to becoming a hunter.

I use my binos all the time and think about Aaron often.  Since meeting your Dad he and your family are never very far from my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted on young Hunter and his travels.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 04:37:40 AM »
Its an honor to carry this call in the woods!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]