collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 0 bear club  (Read 29604 times)

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Re: 0 bear club
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »
Pushing 62 and hoping this is my year. :EAT:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 08:22:48 AM »
I'm a card carrying member.  :'( :bash:  Have never put in time to specifically hunt bear.  I will either screw up an elk hunt some time or get serious about it one year and put in some real effort.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 08:31:28 AM »
I really don't know how to target them down low, but when the berries are ripe up high (4 to 6000ft) start glassing.  Those high country berry eating bears taste good. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »
Almost tagged one last night....bugger just would present a shot. Stick with it, you'll get out of the club.

Offline skagitsteel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
I left your club in 1997 when I finally got serious about getting one.  :chuckle:

1981 for me (bow).  Once the pressure is off and that first one is in the freezer they seem to come a lot easier.

I agree with that!  Way easier once you have done it.  I missed two shots because I was so nervous before I tagged one. 

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
1 for 1 on bears for me. Went out towards sultan a few years back and saw 3 and shot one. Heard it breaking huckleberry bushes so snuck up and shot it from 30 yards with my 30-30. Have deer hunted in the same area and also saw bears but never have hunted them since killing the one. One of these years i may try getting one with my bow.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »
well after a tough weekend I am still a member of the club, saw 2 cubs around noon saturday they were cute little fellers playing on a ridgetop then I heard a vocalization of some sort and they dropped into the next drainage after momma. About 45 min later I spotted a matched set of elk sheds laying halfway up the opposite ridge, committed the location to memory and planned to return on my way back to camp. After that I went a little farther and sat down to eat lunch when it decided to start raining, I donned my rain gear and quickly decided I wanted to just head back for camp, so I dove off of the ridge I was on and headed for my elk sheds. As I neared the creek bottom, fighting my way through buckbrush a large cinnamon phase bear jumped out of the buckbrush about 150 yards to my right. I gave him 2 very poor parting shots(out of breath, off hand at a running bear) and watched him round a bend. I worked my way to where I had last seen him through more buckbrush and found his tracks (about 8" long and 4" across at the toes) followed them to the last place I'd seen him and confirmed there was no blood, then decided it was time to go get my elk sheds and head back to camp. This was definitely his bedroom and main dining area both so I'm bummed that I bumped him out of it. Hopefully when I try again in 2 weeks he will be back again

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:15 AM »
I missed my first bear yesterday! kinda a downer :bash:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 06:59:36 AM »
Maybe a case of the nerves???  Don't beat yourself up too bad, you'll get another crack at it! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
I've never killed a bear. Hoping that changes this fall.

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »
Maybe a case of the nerves???  Don't beat yourself up too bad, you'll get another crack at it!

You could say there were some nerves >:(

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 01:17:38 PM »
 :hello: checking in. I wouldn't mind killing a bear but don't even put in for the tag.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen a bear in the wild  :o

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 01:23:12 PM »

I have witnessed a lot of misses on bear.  Especially a hunters first bear.  Few animals get the hunter as torn between anxiety, fear and excitement as does a bear.  The internet world is filled with false vibrato, nerves of steel and certified snipers where success is a given 100% of the time.  The world of reality is much more exciting and it does get the best of us all sooner or later.

I was lucky enough to kill the first bear I ever shot at.  For some odd reason the excitement didn't hit me until the arrow hit the bear.  Took me almost an hour before I felt safe to get down out of the tree.  That wasn't because I feared the bear.  It was because my legs turned to noodles, my hand strength could barely hold the bow and the shakes were dang near enough to rattle me right off the stand.  No other big game animal has done that to me with such vigor...one of the greatest experiences of my life!

Congratulations in getting yourself in position to get off a shot.  Sounds like it was worth every curse word afterward!  Your heart should be better prepared for the next one.  Good luck :tup:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »

I have witnessed a lot of misses on bear.  Especially a hunters first bear.  Few animals get the hunter as torn between anxiety, fear and excitement as does a bear.  The internet world is filled with false vibrato, nerves of steel and certified snipers where success is a given 100% of the time.  The world of reality is much more exciting and it does get the best of us all sooner or later.

I was lucky enough to kill the first bear I ever shot at.  For some odd reason the excitement didn't hit me until the arrow hit the bear.  Took me almost an hour before I felt safe to get down out of the tree.  That wasn't because I feared the bear.  It was because my legs turned to noodles, my hand strength could barely hold the bow and the shakes were dang near enough to rattle me right off the stand.  No other big game animal has done that to me with such vigor...one of the greatest experiences of my life!

Congratulations in getting yourself in position to get off a shot.  Sounds like it was worth every curse word afterward!  Your heart should be better prepared for the next one.  Good luck :tup:

That is well written! Spot on. i learned a couple things for next time

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
Nothing to turn your legs to noodles like the first bear you shoot looking at you in the dark and blinking at 30 yards and then jumping up to run away from you (thankfully). 

Note: I stuck my nose in the bushes and considered going in after it.  Thankfully D-Rock made me wait.  It died about 10' inside of those bushes.   :yike:

The fear makes it more exciting I think.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]