collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Clockum Herd  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Clockum Herd
« on: April 25, 2015, 11:01:08 PM »
Are they really going to kill 2000 animals with special permits to shrink the herd from 6500 animals to 4500 this year :dunno:

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
Re: Clockum Herd
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:06:01 PM »
 :dunno: do you have some link about this?
You must first be honest with yourself,Until then your just lying to everyone.

"The only one arguing is the one that is wrong"

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:16:51 PM »
No that is what I heard tonight from a retired LEO :dunno:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:25:31 PM by Romulus1297 »

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »
I was just thinking about this...I started to add up all the special permits for the Clock and got to over 1000. Obviously not everyone will be successful on their hunts, but Im curious how they (WDFW) think the herd can sustain a healthy population with a large harvest that seems likley this year. Its not that big of a herd in the first place.

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:38:06 AM »
The Clockum herd has about 1000 cows more than what the Bios have established as an appropriate number for the unit. The unit also has chronic problems with elk damaging private property. The cow tags will get the herd to the right level and help with elk damage.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:29:22 AM »
Add those special permits with the general antlerless harvest for bow this year and I bet there will be over 1000 animals harvested.

Offline magnumb

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
.......and how many are never recovered during any season...... :(.

I've had seasons where I've nearly found as many bulls and cows bloated up as were hanging on meat poles within that same area's camp sites.

For years, this herd has been at the top of the list as 'least healthy' in terms of population (and perhaps other factors) among all major Washington State herds.

Not sure how they justify all of these changes to this particular area and herd given their status as a major herd, but I'm hoping that the ag issues don't completely blur the department's commitment to us as their employers.  Ag issues are certainly real, but no less real than our desire to maintain a healthy population of elk in that area that also happens to fund ag owners who incur losses from elk damage (whether fairly compensated....I don't know).

So why would the department want more 'breeder' bulls to survive each year if they really want to reduce the overall population by making these area's only 'true' or spike only........ :dunno:.  So where are all those big bulls anyway.....?

Trust me.......I think that the answer is pretty clear.  Given that only 6 modern firearm tags are given out for 'any bull' in my area, I do know that they haven't vanished due to our yearly harvests.

So many hands in the cookie jar, with ours getting much less cookie jar time and efforts than most all else.  Maybe if they could just up our tag and license fee's some more and we should just be grateful to them for still allowing us to hunt.

That should work.......as it has for as many years as I care to remember.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »
They won't harvest 1000
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 02:10:05 PM »
I'dsay 20% at least.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline magnumb

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 02:27:05 PM »
They won't harvest 1000

Not trying to be contrary, but if 'they' includes each and every group that hunts these particular elk, then it would be both miraculous and much appreciated if someone/anyone could or would share with me the annual tribal take..........the actual tribal take........ ;).

So unless that # can be verifiably confirmed, there is no possible way to know if 1,000 elk, or perhaps even more, are taken each year.  If that information is somehow available to you or anyone here, while you've got access to such secretive info, perhaps you have handy the annual tribal harvest of major bulls as well......?

That truly accurate statistic is likely just as available to us as is what their actual annual harvest is and about the same chance of ever acquiring as would Hillary willingly turning over all of her deleted 'personal' emails to Congress.................snowballs and hell comes to mind...... ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:32:58 PM by magnumb »

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 10:10:31 PM »
They'd have to actually try and write it down first.

Offline magnumb

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 09:02:14 AM »
They'd have to actually try and write it down first.

Oh......right.   What was I thinking......... :dunno:.

Bottomline........no mortal can say with any certainty nor believability that 1,000 elk, or more, will not be killed.

In addition to this, so far, unattainable statistic, mortally wounded elk and those poached by all people, is no less disturbing and of a concern (to me, anyway) and need to be included in this count.

Afterall......a dead elk, one that no longer is available to later enhance this herd's population or that we might be able to legally harvest in the future, is of no use to anyone.  Those numbers are no less important or valid.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal