collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can I get to Castle lake?  (Read 6179 times)

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Can I get to Castle lake?
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:51:26 PM »
How close can I drive? Is there a trail down to lake?

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Can I get to Castle lake?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »
Somebody must know something. I'm not really interested in the fishing, thinking about access to the pumice plain elk area...

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »
Can't help ya too much... But I buddy from back in school always talked about hiking into Castle Lake and fishing. So I know it can be done at least.

From: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=110623&ttype=recarea&recid=47024&actid=50&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110000000000000&pnavid=&cid=null&pname=West+Side+-+State+Highway+504+-+Castle+Lake+Trail%23221+and+Castle+Ridge+Trail%23216G

The Castle Ridge Trail #216G creates a connection between Loowit Trail #216 and Weyerhauser Road 3000. This ridge top hike offers views of the blast area, Mount St. Helens, the South Fork Toutle River, and Castle Lake.
A trip down the un-maintained Castle Lake Trail #221 brings you through the effects of the 1980 eruption to the shore of Castle Lake. The lake was created when the debris avalanche dammed South Fork Castle Creek. Passing through boggy areas and paralleling Castle Creek, the trail circles around the ridge separating Castle Creek and Castle Lake. Wildlife, including elk and waterfowl, can often be seen.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if there is ever issues with the 3000 mainline. Do you need a weyco permit?

Offline Clearcut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »
Wolf dogs correct all though its more of a ridge top you walk down in.. An once you get pass the base of the ridge an the flat it's above what's considered mud flow an is actually the monument which you cant be off a trail in the monument legally. It's about 20 miles plus of gravel road to get to where you can see the lake an from there it's obvious which ridge you wanna take to get down to it

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »
No Weyco permit needed... Alot of that's all state land on the way up so it's left open all year on that side

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
Thanks, it looks like a decent place to access the elk area. I must be crazy, that's still a lot of meat packing... I better plan on bringing a fishing rod also to off set the misery.

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:52:09 PM »
Well you can drive in the 20 miles.. Depending on which ridge you take an how quickly you wanna drop in its only a couple miles into the lake

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »
I was thinking about the castle lake north of George.   no elk but some  fish.   mike w

Offline Fastass350

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »
You can take a straight downhill approach off the 3000, quickest way down but it's a little harsh. There's an old road system that you could probably mountain bike down, it winds around and can be a little long. I think enough people hike it that they keep the brush somewhat cleared. PM me if you want any more info, I've done both routes before. And yes take a folding pole, catch some fresh dinner!

Chris

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 11:14:19 AM »
to access the pumice planes from that side you need to take the 216g trail about 1.5 miles to the castle lake trail that will lead you on down into the unit...the trail is not maintaned

you can not take the road down to the lake an legally walk from there to the unit ...so going to the lake is pointless unless for a hike/fishing trip

Legal or not it's a 2000 foot climb out which seems like alot for a cow

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 06:42:26 AM »
I've been close a couple times but never fished it.  Sounds like packing the canoe it might be more than it's worth for one fish.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 01:19:24 PM »
Big fish. Last I knew lots of them. Bring a float tube. I've heard it's a hell March to get to the water. Can't say for sure though.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 02:02:40 PM »
Big fish. Last I knew lots of them. Bring a float tube. I've heard it's a hell March to get to the water. Can't say for sure though.

If you go to castle with the thought of catching lots and lots of big fish your setting your self up for disappointment...it's not a bad hike if you know what your doing but there are lots of stories of people never making it to the lake

If your not real experienced in big country I'd definitely recommend taking the road down to the lake

I was just on the castlelake trail a couple day ago and it all but gone...not a problem if your hunting the pummy planes with passes to trespass on the monument but for the average Joe it's a pretty good fine to get caught off trail

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
I was thinking about the castle lake north of George.   no elk but some  fish.   mike w

Same here.  I thought that's the lake he wanted.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal