collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rubs ? Your take  (Read 1660 times)

Offline robertsjd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Rubs ? Your take
« on: April 27, 2015, 02:09:12 PM »
Only my 3rd year Elk hunting and achery elk hunting at that . Been learning more and more every year I go obviously but still have so many questions and no one to ask . Im the only one in my family that hunts elk . So I poke around on here trying to learn as much as I can without asking questions . But Id figure Id ask . .. Do rubs mean anything more than just an elk passing through trying to get the shedding velvet off ? Or does it mean just That ? A bull passing by looks like a good spot to rub and he's gone ? Or is there more to it? Is it near his bed ? Is he comfortable tbere ? Does he frequent the area often ? ? Sorry if it's a dumb question but figure Id ask.
be careful going in search of adventure its ridiculously easy to find.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Rubs ? Your take
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »
From my experience on the Westside, the elk tend to be cyclical in their movements.  If he rubbed there yesterday, he might be back again in a few days or is still in the area.  A lot of times, you will see a lot of old rubs near a fresh one, even the same tree, I believe these are often made by the same bull year to year.  It could also mean that it is an area they like to be in that time of year.   

There, you get what you paid for....   :chuckle:

Offline LeviD1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:19:28 PM »
Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think elk have glands on their head that when they rub it leaves their scent basically marking their territory to let other bulls know that this their spot. This is for when they are tutti anyways. Some rubs may be just getting the velvet off also though. During rut when they are feel I spunky they will tear up brush and trees.

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »
If you find a area that is torn up with fresh rubs i would def pay attention to and hunt the area. I have found many spots like this where we hunt and there is almost always a bull close by. I love firing them up from a distance and then sneaking in and ripping off a bugle, gets exciting in a hurry. That's my experiences anyways.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 10:03:29 PM »
you find areas with elk rubs from years past Id be back in that area looking for elk come fall. Means the elk like that area and frequent it and feel comfortable to be there over and over again.

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:31:09 AM »
Rubs are cool to see for sure, after all, it shows you that a bull was standing in a particular spot at one point in time.  But... they are similar to tracks and droppings; they show you that an elk was there but not necessarily where elk currently are.  The majority of the rubs we see are made by bulls in their bachelor area(s) knocking their velvet off.  At this time, most of the bulls are not anywhere near the girls.  Yes, spikes and even a young raghorn or two may hang with the cows throughout the summer but the majority of the more mature bulls are off playing pool with the big boys till it's time.  Once that first cow comes into estrus in a given area, it's like a magnet for the bulls to come join the cow groups and start the rutting process.  The advertising rubs that are found during the peak rut are certainly of interest; these are the rubs you find very close to bedding areas and active wallows.  My point?  Not all rubs are the same and most are not worthy of your valuable hunting time.  Remember to concentrate on finding the cows in July-August, that's where the bulls will be come September.  Just a few early morning thoughts  ;)       
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:02:31 AM »
Are all those tree rubs in the same area? I would definitely consider setting up a trail cam or two. If you don't have one then smooth out some ground around the rubs so that you can get good tracks if elk come back into the area. It looks like a good combination of fresh and older rubs there. I would venture to say that the probability is high that there is an elk in residence there. I would suggest carefully scouting the area and looking for more rubs, wallows, beds, tracks, and poop.
The biggest thing is that it looks to me like you're having fun and at the risk of sounding like a quote poacher, "the journey is the destination."
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline robertsjd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »
Dang awesome thanks for al the input very helpful to me I appreciate all the help ! And yes this is all in the same area that I have been hunting and going to stick with it until I draw the quality bull!! Fingers crossed haha yea I have ran into several wallows and beds and even Bulls but in August not September :/
be careful going in search of adventure its ridiculously easy to find.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]