collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: School me on diesel trucks.  (Read 16778 times)

Offline 2labs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: School me on diesel trucks.
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
My 7.3 has 240 k on it with regular maintenance and some upgrades. Oil changes( 5w 40 delo synthetic ) and lubribor fuel additive for lubricity. Ultra low sulphur diesel is hard on injectors and pumps I believe.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:42:06 PM by 2labs »
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2015, 08:23:26 PM »
Ive got a 17deg hpop and a set of rebuilt ad's sitting on a shelf waiting to go into my truck right now
.im close to 300k, 150k with a tuner and pretty crappy maint.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »
Just remember 97% of the ford trucks sold are still on the road....The other 3% made it home!
Cummins is the way to go. Yes Dodge bodys don't last as long as the Ferd, but 400,000 miles on a Cummins is not uncommon. You'll do a couple of rebuild to do that with a powerjoke. The Duramax, well it's a duramax.

pretty sure 200k miles rebuilds are not a common ford thing.

They arent, even the 6.0's when properly upgraded will last a very long time. I'm working on a 1999 7.3 right know (needs injectors) that has 330k on it. It's a service truck and I know it's history the only repair it's ever had done previously was a torque converter replacement. I checked the compression In all 8 holes and they're still all at the high Ford spec, cut the oil filter open not a single piece of metal in it. Injectors, glow plugs and proper service intervalls it'll be good for another 100k plus, easilly.

Time for me to do injectors as well, 400k+ out of the stock isn't too bad I'd say!

Completely agree with Phools statement. Don't matter what brand. So here comes the ribbing on the ford diesal. :chuckle:    Do you carry a couple boxes or so of those glow plug thingies under the seat for weekly replacement? :chuckle:

Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2015, 10:40:46 PM »
One of the things ive done to my Dodges that really helps longevity i think is a 2 tier fuel filter system. I use the stock filter then a 2 micron spin on filter. There is a LOT of bad fuel out h
there where the places are not changing the pump filters often enough & they are running half empty tanks or less which causes bother condensation and rust on the inside of the tank. I had my first one installed at Dynamite diesel for something like $300 mostly because it was in the shop there anyway, but its a good investment for your injectors

:yeah:

especially on the newer phase fire injectors.  My old 95 could probably spit a hotwheels through the injector but not the newer rigs.

I dunno if phasefire is the wright word, but they fire multiple times on a piston stroke.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2015, 10:57:35 PM »
All the newer common rail, or electrical controlled injectors are finiki compared to the old mechanical ones that were fairly noisy.

One other tip is to make sure you drain off some fuel. water from your fuel water separator on a regular basis. Some rigs like my dodges have it built into the fuel filter housing. Some others dont. I try and bleed a little off once every week or 2 after it has been sitting over night.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »
I'm running DDP injectors

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »
Toying with getting a Diesel pickup myself now.  We need something for dump and landscaping runs and I want something to take and thrash in woods/desert for hunting and shooting.

Based on our budget we are looking older rigs than th OP, but figured keep the Diesel discussion in one place?

I saw a few Ford and Chevy in my price range and was curious how the drivetrains compare.  Anything to watch out for with these?
1988-92 Ford 7.3L
1992 Chevy Cheyenne (no engine displacement listed, just diesel)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »
Toying with getting a Diesel pickup myself now.  We need something for dump and landscaping runs and I want something to take and thrash in woods/desert for hunting and shooting.

unless you just like the idea of a diesel and have the pocket change to get what you want rather than what you need I'd suggest a gasser for the things you've listed,  especially for the woods/desert thrashing part.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2015, 05:09:42 PM »

unless you just like the idea of a diesel and have the pocket change to get what you want rather than what you need I'd suggest a gasser for the things you've listed,  especially for the woods/desert thrashing part.

It is partially the idea I do want a diesel, I have for years, more power and better economy in a larger rig.  Diesel fuel also can be stored longer and I can do the biodiesel thing too.  This is not a rig that will get driven daily by any means which is why I like the idea of diesel as well as it does not gum up as quickly as gas.

When I say thrash around I do not mean 4x4 playing just a solid strong rig to take hunting and shooting, big tough dependable for chugging up fire roads or desert blm/forest service roads.  Throw all my gear in the back add a canopy and I could even sleep in the back if need be.  Plenty of room to haul elk if I get one down.  Wife even mentioned getting a camper for the bed.

I could get a beater toyo/nissan or old F150 for <$1000, and thought about that a good bit.  But rather get a $3000 older diesel truck as long as they are reliable (if properly maintained).  Then I have the power if I need to tow/haul things which pops up sometimes.  I just do not know much about the diesel power plants. 

Plus the older rigs have plenty of aftermarket from years of people modding them.  Lots of parts in JY too for repairs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:04:51 PM by lamrith »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
diesel gets sludge if it sits too long, lot of folks call it "diesel algae" but it's not really an algae like in a pond.  It is slimy junk though that'll plug your fuel system; there's treatment for it, but there's treatment for gas too.   Older diesels are less vulnerable to this sludge though so that's a bonus for wanting an older diesel.

bio diesel sounds fun, but the start up costs is big and like you say the truck will be mostly sitting?  Doesn't make since to invest 1000's of dollars into a nasty system that could burn down your garage.  (friend burned down their barn making bio diesel) It really should have it's own building away from anything else.  Sourcing oil and grease is a problem too.

If you get a camper the diesel will be nice, eating up freeway miles with a diesel pushing all that wind is where the diesel shines.

for anything else a 3/4 gasser would more than suffice and 1/2 would do for 99% of it.  There's even lighter popup campers that do well on a 1/2 ton and you'll get further back in the woods than with a solid top heavy camper hitting trees everywhere.   A micro camper would be very nice too for just 2 people wanting to camp way back.  Tow it back there and drop it then you got a good wheeler too. 

full size diesels suck in the woods I'm telling ya,  I've been putting up with a 3/4 diesel for way too long it's obnoxious driving around on rough roads with it.  I hate it, the thing wants to jackhammer it's self to death.    I park mine any time I can and hop in a friends Toyota or an F-150 and go "ahhh" that's so much better.   

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:41 PM »
KF I really appreciate the feedback and full run-down.  It helps quite a bit and you may have changed my mind.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Older mechanical injected diesel trucks can be run on 80/20 used motor oil and gasoline filtered. Low start up cost and if you run a centrifuge like the http://www.simplecentrifuge.com/ it has less particulate than most Diesel from the pump. there are some issues but there are not as bad as bio diesel. Ive been on the hunt for a mechanical D 4x4 for quite some time but they all seem just outside of my reach... For a play toy...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2015, 09:00:27 PM »
Just remember 97% of the ford trucks sold are still on the road....The other 3% made it home!
Cummins is the way to go. Yes Dodge bodys don't last as long as the Ferd, but 400,000 miles on a Cummins is not uncommon. You'll do a couple of rebuild to do that with a powerjoke. The Duramax, well it's a duramax.

pretty sure 200k miles rebuilds are not a common ford thing.

They arent, even the 6.0's when properly upgraded will last a very long time. I'm working on a 1999 7.3 right know (needs injectors) that has 330k on it. It's a service truck and I know it's history the only repair it's ever had done previously was a torque converter replacement. I checked the compression In all 8 holes and they're still all at the high Ford spec, cut the oil filter open not a single piece of metal in it. Injectors, glow plugs and proper service intervalls it'll be good for another 100k plus, easilly.

Time for me to do injectors as well, 400k+ out of the stock isn't too bad I'd say!

Completely agree with Phools statement. Don't matter what brand. So here comes the ribbing on the ford diesal. :chuckle:    Do you carry a couple boxes or so of those glow plug thingies under the seat for weekly replacement? :chuckle:

Changed my original factory plugs this past hunting season, they also had 400k+ on them. :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline DRobnsn

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2015, 11:01:06 PM »

Based on our budget we are looking older rigs than th OP, but figured keep the Diesel discussion in one place?

I saw a few Ford and Chevy in my price range and was curious how the drivetrains compare.  Anything to watch out for with these?
1988-92 Ford 7.3L
1992 Chevy Cheyenne (no engine displacement listed, just diesel)

Older naturally aspirated diesels have no power. I think if you drove one you could talk yourself out of it real fast. You really need a turbo'd version if you want to enjoy the kind of power current diesel owners are accustomed to. I could see one being a great bio fuel machine but when it comes to hauling heavy up a steep grade, turbo'd is the only way to go.

Offline WAPatriot

• Longhunter
  • its not the arrow its the indian
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2015, 09:23:13 AM »
Dodge 1996-1998 2500 and 3500 with the 12 valve engine and machanical fuel pump best non commercial engine ever made imho

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]