collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3rd round flyers  (Read 7343 times)

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
3rd round flyers
« on: May 03, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »
Over the last year I've gotten into reloading. Started slowly and with plenty of luck I found a few loads that worked pretty great in my .308 (started with a caliber that was easy to find info on and has a reputation as being easy to load for).

After some trouble with the first scope I found an old used Leupold (an older gloss VariX-II with non-click adjustment) that works great on the gun. Every time I get a good grouping I always throw the third shot. At least I know it's the shooters fault and not the gun or the ammo.

Some of the more obvious 100 yard examples:

175g SMK, 0.955" with 4 rounds into 0.232"

168g SMK, 0.855" with 4 rounds into 0.132"

I wish I could find a bullet suitable for hunting that was half as accurate as the SMK's but so far any and all hunting projectiles have struggled to stay close to MOA.

3rd round fliers, I hate 'em. They get me every time.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: 3rd round flyers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
LMAO!!!!!

Rumor has it, you'll never be able to out shoot the rifle. But it's so much fun triing  :IBCOOL:
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline salmonchaser

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »
Change your seating depth by .05. Shorter first, then longer. That should take care of it.

Offline salmonchaser

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »
Have you tried ballistic tips? I've killed an awful lot of deer with them without any complaints. I get 1/2 moa using 4064 out of my rifle with them.

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 06:25:30 PM »
I've already played with seating depth. Without having a way to measure ogive the OAL for the 175's are seated to 2.815" and the 168's are to 2.810". Both are about as long as I'm going to get and still fit in the magazine. Because it happens every third round, not erratically, I have to put the blame on myself. It's constant hot or cold and at the beginning of a range trip to the end. I'm near to loading up extra rounds to fire on another target just so I never put a "3rd" round into a group anymore.

Tried BT's, both the 165 and the 168 versions. My .30-06 loves them but I couldn't get anything I found acceptable with them out of the .308 (haven't tried 3031 yet all testing so far has been with 4064). Ended up shooting all the BT's up and never did find anything I liked so now I have several boxes of AccuBonds to try.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 06:53:03 PM »
It's all about consistency. Once... Maybe? , twice.. It's a sure thing... Three times.. I'm betting on it!

If your having a 3rnd flying consistently, I would be digging for the source of the issue. It's not your trigger finger.

Most often than not it's your action screw torque or a issue with the stock contacting the barrel. If not those two. It's usually a barrel contour/harmonics issue.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 07:09:52 PM »
And this caused because of heat expansion? :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 07:13:20 PM »
And this caused because of heat expansion? :dunno:
Can be.  Especially at the joining of the barrel and the action.  The further from flush, the more it can stress the connection and walk the shots off.

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »
It's all about consistency. Once... Maybe? , twice.. It's a sure thing... Three times.. I'm betting on it!

If your having a 3rnd flying consistently, I would be digging for the source of the issue. It's not your trigger finger.

Most often than not it's your action screw torque or a issue with the stock contacting the barrel. If not those two. It's usually a barrel contour/harmonics issue.

:yeah:   Are you sure it is always the third shot and not one random out of three?

What barrel contour and length?

I've already played with seating depth. Without having a way to measure ogive the OAL for the 175's are seated to 2.815" and the 168's are to 2.810". Both are about as long as I'm going to get and still fit in the magazine.

Lock-N-Load Comparator kits are really cheap.  Much more accurate than OAL measurements.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:59:49 PM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »
When I manage to shoot that well it's always the third shot, I can see it in the scope and it's always the least solid feeling shot. Both pictures are of 5 shot groups fired on different days with different bullet weights. Hot days, cold days, beginning of the range session or end of the range session. Every third round out of each 5 round group which is why I think it's me.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »
That would make you one super consistent shooter!

I had a 7mm that performed similar.  Always the third or fourth shot.  After a full action bed, pillars and wide float channels I still got the same thing.  Cut 2" off the barrel length and changed the crown shape now it's as consistent as I am.

Also have a 325WSM that did the same thing.  Tried all kinds of things with no change.  Then one day decided to load one round at a time...perfect groups!  Ended up that there was enough recoil to damage the third round on a small weld mark in the magazine.  Die grinder made quick work of that.

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 08:13:10 PM »

What barrel contour and length?

Ruger GSR .308 (didn't post that in the OP because hardly anyone believes a Ruger can shoot that well). So about 17 1/4" of barrel and a funky contour.

Note: I don't shoot with the shirt under the stock it was just there to hold things in place for the picture.

I stoned the trigger when I first got it and cleaned up the bolt a little to smooth it out. Other than that it's stock. I use a 3 round poly magazine and feed each round from the top as I fire them so rounds aren't getting damaged from recoil.

Not every group is that tight so I know I'm the weak link here. I plan on getting some better reloading gear as I go just haven't got there yet.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 08:21:30 PM »
All my Rugers are great shooters.  Probably why I have four of them!  But each needed pillars and a religious attention to lug bolt torque to get there.

Offline salmonchaser

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 10:23:16 PM »
Nothing wrong with 1moa for hunting, when I became a sniper instructor back in the dark ages that was the standard and gun writers drooled over 1.5.
So if you're shooting off the ground you could be leaning into the rifle, changing your grip, something to impart an error. Damn consistent though.
Torque on the action screws will create problems, I have a 338 Jarrett that shoots quarter inch groups if torqued to 35 inch pounds any thing else 1 moa or worse.
I have never played with the bullets you are using, but I agree with red savage, a comparator tool is cheap and could solve your problems. .005 difference on the ogive can make a difference in the harmonics, combined with heating to throw it off. Doesn't explain why four and.five come back in.
Try this next time. Fire two, reset your equipment adjust your bag, confirm your natural point of aim; fire a couple of dry fire shots fire that third shot. Don't take too long. Keep the barrel warm.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:22:39 AM by salmonchaser »

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 10:54:14 PM »
...but I agree with red savage...

Red Savage.  I like it!  Sounds like a cool action hero :IBCOOL:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Nothing wrong with 1moa for hunting, when I became a sniper instructor back in the dark ages that was the standard and gun writers drooled over 1.5.

How cool was that job?  I'd like to spend a day or two on the range with you!  Sounds like it would be fascinating and educational.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal