collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WA Senator Introduces Trespass Fluorescent Orange Bill For Second Time in a Year  (Read 25430 times)

Offline bowbuild

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Makes the land owner's job so much easier.  Paint is durable, and can't be torn down or moved.   

All this BS about anti's posting an area or getting cited for tresspassing is just that. 

Too many people try to tip toe around the public access verbage.  If you have permission to hunt a piece of land its no problem.  Permission can be in the form of written permission to be on private property or something as simple as here is the map of state land, and my GPS position.  When you decide to hunt without permission you get knotted up by law enforcement.  If you cross a boundary by accident or on purpose you might get yourself in trouble. 

I've always made it a policy that if I don't have written permission or specifc rights to hunt a piece of ground I stay off of it.  No need for an "I thought I could" excuse when it is written down.

I have a hard time thinking you know of no one that has not been through this hunting in areas of king or pierce county......people constantly post timber land, and the only BS is you not looking!

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
But Steve, you are slamming bigtex here but he even stated he didn't like the bill.

I still contend that if you have permission to be on said land, you can......it won't matter what method it is posted.
I think if I owned property that people were wanting to trespass on I would paint up the trees like this bill is proposing. Maybe paint some big no trespassing words on the trees too. 

I don't doubt that some anti hunting types go out and place signs, but that still isn't a good reason to tell land owners that they cannot mark their land like this. Obviously some (or most) disagree and that's fine with me.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
The discussion is all well and good but still doesn't explain to me what some find objectionable to the proposed bill (s).
Well I've already said I don't like it because it would be hard to educate/enforce.

But I also think it would be easier to mark land as closed that isn't supposed to be. Right now someone has to buy/make signs, get nails/staple gun, and attach it to a tree/pole. If this bill passed all you would need is orange paint and whammo the area is closed.

I can see even more land being posted as closed without the landowner's permission if this bill passed.

Some interesting info is that in 2012 the legislature decriminalized the unlawful posting of lands and made it a civil infraction (ticket with a fine, no possible jail time, can't be arrested for the offense). So it really weakened the penalty and in many ways reduced the "importance" of the law when it comes to investigations.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
BigTex, do the officers carry regularly updated maps--paper or computer?  Or do they have to call in coordinates/check assessor sites/call a surveyor/skynet drones?
There really isn't any special LE only database. So we have to check maps, assessor databases, etc.

Like I said, an officer can make contact with the possible offender, plot the point and use it for what should be a quick investigation. If it turns out the guy was in fact trespassing then he can send the report to the prosecutor for charging. Most non-serious criminal contacts nowadays in WA don't end with the offender leaving with a criminal citation in their hands, but rather simply the officer saying they will be getting something in the mail.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Thanks bigtex. It is a good discussion. Sounds to me like you and Steve miller are in agreement on this issue.

The way bigtex has debated the topic has me now changing my mind.

Btw Steve, I've disagreed with many things bigtex has said on various issues over the years, but he is a valuable asset to this forum. I lot of issues I wouldn't even know about if it wasn't for bigtex posting about them. So I am glad he is here.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Reminder: Personal attacks on other members are not allowed. Debate the topic but refrain from personal attacks.
Thanks
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
The discussion is all well and good but still doesn't explain to me what some find objectionable to the proposed bill (s).
Well I've already said I don't like it because it would be hard to educate/enforce.

But I also think it would be easier to mark land as closed that isn't supposed to be. Right now someone has to buy/make signs, get nails/staple gun, and attach it to a tree/pole. If this bill passed all you would need is orange paint and whammo the area is closed.

There are other states that use this method with success.

Buying signs/staples is just as easy as buying cans of spray paint.   Most are for sale in the same stores, and it only takes a couple seconds to put either on a tree.   

It's almost as though you are implying that more people are going to suddenly start posting land, simply because they can do it with paint.   Is that the case?   Do you really think if someone wants to post land now that buying a sign and staples is too much of a hassle?

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
We use paint in Utah where it is a legal posting method, it is far more economical, is very noticeable, and longer lasting.

We started using paint in WA years ago, it is much more economical and effective to us a gallon of paint to paint fence posts than to nail up expensive signs which are easily torn down every season by slob hunters. With the paint we throw another refresher coat on every 5 to 8 years and it doesn't get ripped down by trespassers. It seems to be way more effective.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68

That's not true. If someone other than the landowner sprays paint on a property line, it's not "closed." If it's private and you have permission to hunt it, you can still hunt it. Or if it's public land that is illegally painted/posted, you can still hunt it.

Orange paint on public land wouldn't keep me from hunting it, I guarantee you that.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
That's not true. If someone other than the landowner sprays paint on a property line, it's not "closed." If it's private and you have permission to hunt it, you can still hunt it. Or if it's public land that is illegally painted/posted, you can still hunt it.

Orange paint on public land wouldn't keep me from hunting it, I guarantee you that.
By closed I mean it gives the illusion that it is closed. Just like how there is land with illegally placed signs that give the illusion it is closed but in reality it is not.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
Well, I wonder if it causes problem in Idaho, because I believe they use paint to mark their property lines. I think Wyoming might be the same way as well.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
Well, I wonder if it causes problem in Idaho, because I believe they use paint to mark their property lines. I think Wyoming might be the same way as well.

I'm pretty sure paint is used in ID/MT/UT/WY

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
This time bigtex's opinion is wrong.   :chuckle:

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
I'm pretty sure paint is used in ID/MT/UT/WY

Anybody know of any instances where similar laws have been a tool exploited by anti-hunting groups in some of the above states?  I have a hard time thinking that if this becomes a law, that it will be the straw that broke the camels back.  I really don't feel this proposed law, would be the undoing of hunters.

Currently, landowners can post signs in the exact same manner as the proposed paint would be used.  Nothing changes except that paint can be used in lieu of signs.  If someone is improperly marking public land or is marking someone else's private land, either double check your permission or go check with your county's assessor to verify land ownership.         

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
How much paint will posting this private land take?  they need to amend the law to attach an Environmental impact statement when private landowner owns so much that the amount of paint becomes a health hazard :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal