collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which trace minerals for elk?  (Read 16792 times)

Offline steeliedrew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Which trace minerals for elk?
« on: May 04, 2015, 03:56:48 AM »
I'll be packing two cameras into my Elk area later this month and would like to leave a good amount of trace mineral at each cam sight.

Questions:

1.) what is the best trace mineral to buy and what feed stores carry it locally in the greater Seattle area?

2.) how much is the right amount to leave?

3.) should I do a combo of trace minerals that will soak into the ground as well as a longer lasting block?

My elk spot is 6 hours from home plus 5 miles and 2,000 foot elevation from the truck so I'd like to get it right. I plan on checking the cams once in June and once in late July before staying out of there until the opener.

Thanks for any help.  :tup:

Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline steeliedrew

• Longhunter
Re: Which trace minerals for elk?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:00:19 AM »
Oh and I hope to be able to share some good pics with you guys. There should be one or two booger hogs up there. I'll be leaving two Moultrie M-880's in there. Me and my hunting partner have been very happy with image quality on these camera.
Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 04:04:52 AM »
I use trace mineral with selenium, SE 90 for deer and elk with good results. Loose and blocks both work
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 04:48:03 AM »
I use trace mineral with selenium, SE 90 for deer and elk with good results. Loose and blocks both work

:yeah: I also like to bury most if not all of it as well as get some in old rotten stumps. Make them work for it a bit and it also helps it last longer. I generally put about 20-25 lbs per camera site
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:56:59 AM »
Holy cow dude I put out two 50 pound bags of loose salt and had a salt block w/selenium in one honey hole last year and the elk literally destroyed what was nice level, soft earth. Its a few inches lower all around, and down to bumpy, jagged rocks sticking up. I put what was left of last years block back out there and can't wait to grab it in a few weeks  :IBCOOL:

Offline steeliedrew

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 05:00:44 AM »
Excellent advise. Thanks fellas. And I can get trace minerals with selenium at feed stores?

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 05:42:57 AM »
What I use, but I have seen 0 difference in activity at sites by using just plain salt or just trace salt. I buy mine at north 40 store for $8.99 per 50lb bag.

The amount you dump is how willing are you to pack? :chuckle:  If you have alot of elk in the area 50lbs will last a month they will still keep coming for years later to the site, but once it appears to be gone you will get a drop in activity and thats when I dump again.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »
Holy cow dude I put out two 50 pound bags of loose salt and had a salt block w/selenium in one honey hole last year and the elk literally destroyed what was nice level, soft earth. Its a few inches lower all around, and down to bumpy, jagged rocks sticking up. I put what was left of last years block back out there and can't wait to grab it in a few weeks  :IBCOOL:

I have seen the same and that is why I bury mine and mix it in with the dirt as well as find old stumps and such to put it in. I also generally check my cameras every 4-6 weeks and will have multiple out so packing in 60-80 lbs of salt is about as much as I want to do to cover my 2-3 cameras. I am getting weak in my old age.   :o

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
Put a 50# bag on it now, and another in August and you'll be good to go. No need at all to re-salt every 4-6 weeks.

I just dump it on the ground. It will leach into the soil and they will dig it up once they get the top layer off. It will stay there for a long time, even 1 bag. I've seen pictures where they've dug into the soil so deep to get the salt, a deer's butt is all you'll see sticking out.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 11:08:20 AM »
Put a 50# bag on it now, and another in August and you'll be good to go. No need at all to re-salt every 4-6 weeks.

I just dump it on the ground. It will leach into the soil and they will dig it up once they get the top layer off. It will stay there for a long time, even 1 bag. I've seen pictures where they've dug into the soil so deep to get the salt, a deer's butt is all you'll see sticking out.
This
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 11:34:42 AM »

This is an easy route to go as well if you don't plan on checking your camera every 4-6 weeks. I figure that if I am going to check it, I want to get my gas money's worth and have multiple cameras out and I can't pack 50 lbs to each site. To each their own.  :tup:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 09:46:26 PM »
Once again it depends how many elk are there....I have spots where 50lbs doesnt even get a chance to leach into the ground and is gone in 2-3 weeks..this spot is about 25-35 deer and herd of elk between 6-9 cows and a few lone bulls and bach group of bulls 3-6 bulls

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 10:39:08 PM »

Once again it depends how many elk are there....I have spots where 50lbs doesnt even get a chance to leach into the ground and is gone in 2-3 weeks..this spot is about 25-35 deer and herd of elk between 6-9 cows and a few lone bulls and bach group of bulls 3-6 bulls
I got 12-15k pictures a year for 2 years on a camera that had 200# of salt on it in those 2 years. 1 bag in spring and one late summer and that was it.
:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline oldleclercrd

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 10:56:09 PM »
12-15k pics a year isn't really that much maybe that's why your salt lasts awhile. I have sets that produce 2000 pics a week and that's set at 1 pic every 30 seconds. The salt goes pretty quick but they always come back and paw at the ground for quite awhile after its gone.
Aim small, miss small.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 11:58:31 PM »
 :yeah: I avg 4-6k pics on 1 pic 1min delay over 2 weeks.

What I am saying when you notice that you cant see the salt on the ground I get a drop in pics...when its piled up I have way more elk action..deer still come no matter

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]