collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Arrow Question  (Read 2827 times)

Offline stormin85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Arrow Question
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
Trying to figure out my arrow dilemma.......

Info: I have a Bowtech Experience 70 lb Draw weight, 27" draw length, I currently have Victory V3 arrows 28" inches carbon to carbon ( 8.1 gpi), with a 100 grain field tip (broadhead is 100 grains as well) I have CE bulldog collars (4 grains) and Lumenock lighted nocks (24 grains) and then blazer vanes (6 grains each) and wraps ( appx 10 grains?).

with this set up I believe by our game regs I am short of the legal hunting weight, I get around 375 grains however the minimum is 420 total grains for my 70 lb draw.

my question is if I add a brass 50 grain insert and go with 125 grain broadheads I will then clear the legal minimum, but will my arrow become under spined and will that be too much weight at the front of the arrow? I have a basic understanding of how FOC works and what I should try to achieve for the best tuning but I don't know for sure. I know that if I cut my arrows shorter, which I have that option, my spine strengthens a little, but then I lose weight as well. My other option is selling or trading the arrows for what I used to use which were FMJ's or a similar heavy hunting arrow, which I am leaning towards.

I am just trying to find out if there is a way for me to stay with what I have as I do really like these victorys, but not at the cost of illegality or incorrect arrow spine, if that makes sense?

I by no means think I know everything so if somewhere in there I have stated something wrong or am confused feel free to school me on the whole subject as I would love to learn, I am on ArcheryTalk a lot and am putting this there as well, I just haven't been able to find info on this exact scenario so figured id ask for some thoughts  :tup:
Bowtech Experience - MBG Ascent - Octane Dead lock Pro - B-stinger Stab and Sidebar
 Victory Arrows - Slick Trick Standards - Scott Longhorn Advantage Pro - NAP Apache

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Arrow Question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »
What spine are the arrows you have?

Offline stormin85

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »
they are the 350's, but a buddy was just saying one option I have is to lower the draw weight to 67lbs, and add a 125 grain broadhead and I break 400 grains, still keep my spine in a good range and the arrows I shoot are good.
Bowtech Experience - MBG Ascent - Octane Dead lock Pro - B-stinger Stab and Sidebar
 Victory Arrows - Slick Trick Standards - Scott Longhorn Advantage Pro - NAP Apache

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »
Screw some 125 heads on and see what they weigh and how they shoot. You may consider dropping the bulldog collars amd wraps to help with foc.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »
I thought the 350 spine V3 arrow was 8.8 GPI and the 400 spine was 8.1 GPI :dunno:

He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline stormin85

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »
I could definitely be wrong there rad, it doesn't say on the arrow and I cant go to victory's sight at work so I googled it and some review said 8.1  :dunno:

Offline stormin85

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »
Screw some 125 heads on and see what they weigh and how they shoot. You may consider dropping the bulldog collars amd wraps to help with foc.

yeah ill give that a try and see, because if I go with 125 BH, the arrow and lighted nocks and vanes that gets me 413 total grains (if the arrow is 8.8 gpi like rad said, which I trust more than googles knowledge lol) I drop to 67lb draw im legal and would have a decent foc.

that's where im foggy understanding the whole percentage of FOC and how it affects everything, I'm not competition shooting but I want my hunting bow as accurate as possible obviously.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 01:24:27 PM »
With that 27" draw length you should have enough spine to add some weight up front.  That would be good as you are WAY light on FOC.  Could drop Luminocks, wraps and Bulldogs and it would be great...other than not being legal due to the ridiculous rule ;)  I was thinking that Victory was offering a 33 grain stainless insert.  That would help.  But I wouldn't be surprised with Luminocks if you need the 125 grain also.

How were you getting your 375 grain weight?  Was that a calculation or an actual measurement?  I keep getting 405 grains when I work it up in AA.  So just curious :dunno:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline stormin85

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
just a calculation, I was just guessing at the numbers trying to get close at work so I could be off, obviously I have time before hunting season, but I wanted to get everything accurate so I can keep tweaking like normal, I just haven't had these arrows when I have shot 70 lbs and wasn't sure where everything landed, thanks again for the info and tips, I am going to start tweaking everything today and working with the tuning  :tup:

Offline stormin85

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »
not just guessing, but just looking online and taking that for my numbers

Offline gilroym

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 05:21:26 AM »
really trying to figure out the weight of your arrows by adding everything up just gets you close. I would suggest getting the arrows weighed at a shop most will do it for free. The figure out where you need to go from there. I had this problem last year I ended up reducing my bow weight a little and using 125 grain tips.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal