collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling question  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
Calling question
« on: May 04, 2015, 01:45:31 PM »
Okay so I've got a calling question for you guys, as I hear this one going both ways.. During the early archery season, I hear about people being very successful with "cold calling set ups" and then I hear the other guys who get all pissed off about people using there calls in the elk woods during the early season. So if I hunt elk on public land , and yes it's crowded, am I not supposed to call because there maybe a hunter around the way that I didn't know was there? I feel like I read a lot about hunters complaining about people bugling for elk, but then I watch the elknut videos and he's telling me to go out to my elk woods and blow it up, then move a few hundred yards or so and do it again. Sound like real elk, make noise etc... So?? What am I supposed to be doing out there especially this season with the later dates.. Thanks to all you successful guys insite. I'm stiiiiiiiiill trying to arrow my first elk!!

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Calling question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »
Oh and I hunt the SW side if that makes any difference.. ?

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »
Others will hate no matter what! Do whatever YOU need to do to kill your elk.. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline elk247

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »
First of all, don't worry about another hunter you don't even know is there. If they are experienced they will know how to handle the situation to their benifit. Situational awareness and shot placement are two of the most important aspects of being successful in the elk woods. All the videos you've watched and info you have on the elk (herd size, aggressiveness, bedding, water, food, escape routes, pinch points, other hunter pressure, weather, wind direction, ext) help you to make an informed decision on how you want to play it.  My camp talks to far more bulls then we shoot every year (25-1?) But 50% of the bulls we shoot were never called at all.  Be sneeky, be smart, be safe and good luck.

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »
The secret with calling is you can never be good enough or sound big  enough when trying to call bulls in.  Focus on how you sound being able to reproduce any elk call perfectly and you will have no trouble calling bulls in no matter early or late.  I personally emphasize on chuckles and lip bawls.  90 percent of the hunters sound like a seagull trying to chuckle its a dead giveaway.  The bulls however love this sound when done properly.  Im able to call in multiple bulls a year this way.  Good luck.

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 04:33:27 PM »
Step 1. Order a handful of Phelps' reeds

Step 2. Wear them out annoying people who can't call.

Step 3. Kill desired elk.

Step 4. Do it again next year.

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »
There are some great spot and stalk hunters out there, but they've usually been at it for decades. IMO, if you aren't a sufficient caller, you're really limiting your elk hunting success in the early season. Being a good caller in a crowded unit could be the difference between wishing you had notched your tag and being the camp with meat hanging from the pole.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »
It depends Tbob....

I will bugle A LOT to un-pressured elk.  Every 200-300 yards along a ridge line or road or anywhere where i get a new angle at where I think elk may be.

If the area is very quiet and there are other hunters around I may stay quiet if I know where the elk are until I get in TIGHT! then let the game start.

The thing about elk hunting....Many decisions come from having the "knack" or gut feel and being in the situation.  There is no one-size fits all.

Offline TikkaT3-270Shortmag

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »
To me that's what is so enjoyable about archery hunting! You are hunting them in the rut and nothing compares to calling in a bull.  There's plenty of times I glass a herd then get in tight and call

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 06:11:20 AM »
Tbob, not sure what you are referring to when you say I suggest to walk in the woods & blow it up with calling? Hmm, sometimes I do call a lot! (grin)  But I do not suggest that to others. A person has to hunt & call smart. There are areas to do a lot of calling & others where you must be more subtle, the same goes for the elk you are working, are they aggressive or being passive. Jason gives a good measuring stick as when hunters can be more aggressive or relaxed in their calling ventures.

Anytime calling is to be used for location or blind calling setups hunters have to be aware of other hunters in their surroundings, there are times & places to call & ones not to call at all. Calling & the type of calling needed is purely situational.

ElkNut1
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:21:34 AM by Elknut1 »

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
Oh I did not mean any disrespect !! I value everyone's opinions and all the education I've gained on your videos sir ! What I guess I mean is, I read certain posts or articles about guys calling in elk during our westside season and then I will read other posts or hear from other hunters how much it pisses them off when they hear other hunters out there trying to call elk in. Just not sure, or more curious I guess what the "correct" thing is to be doing out there? I mean how am I supposed to call in a bull elk if I should "just leave my calls at home" ? Or I hear comments like, "I heard some A-hole bugling first thing this morning and educating all the elk and ruined my hunt"... I totally get the, don't role up in my rig with the radio blaring, role down my window and let out a few bugles and then drive away. I am always hiking, walking or glassing somewhere a ways back behind a gated road, but I guess I'm wondering, if I see 3 rigs parked at the gate I'm hunting, should I just not do any "cold calling set ups" or locator bugles because someone may hear me and get mad? I feel like In this day and age it's almost impossible to really get away from other hunters, and I'm just trying to learn the correct way calling can, should be done in these days of crowded public land hunting.. Like I said I don't mean any disrespect to anyone on this site and always very much value any info and advise I can get from all of you who know waaaaay more than I ever could as a "self learning" hunter... Thanks again to everybody for all the insite and advise!!

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 06:40:54 AM »
No offense taking bud. Was just curious how your thoughts applied, now I see with your further explanation & I understand what you mean.

Definitely learn how to call, this means being believable to the elk in both Cow & Bull sounds. This way when the time is right to call you will not shrink back or feel intimidated to do so. -- First thing I would do if hunting your areas is to separate myself from the other hunters. This can be done best by not using gated roads or trail systems that everyone else is using. If I saw vehicles & camps stacked at a trail head or gate I would not even think of hunting it, I would move on. Look for areas to hunt that have no easy access points that most hunters would drive right by because of difficulty right out of the rig. You will be surprised at how many areas you can get into elk within a 1- 1/2 mile from a road. Better yet you can get away from other hunters as well.

We hunt similar areas as you mention with many hunters on OTC public lands & hear the same complaints every year about calling & too many people but yet we remove ourselves from them fairly easily because most hunters want the easy ways & terrain to hunt. Searching out the more difficult spots & scouting them now would be a good idea. By separating yourself you will feel more comfortable in calling to locate elk. -- Bottom line don't worry about what other hunters think, be reasonable in your efforts to call & pick your spots to call. Do not walk around the woods calling every few seconds as yes that could be annoying & unproductive. (grin) Your intent is to find, hunt & put an elk down, use all the tools you have whether it be glassing, calling or ambushing, all will be needed at one time or another. Be versatile & willing to adapt to a given situation! Good Luck!

ElkNut1

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 03:32:22 PM »
I think half the fun of elk hunting is calling in bulls. I am pretty aggressive with my calling and call in many bulls a year. Im not to worried about what other hunters think. I bugled in a bull a few years back that i missed and had a hunter come in and ask me why i am bugling, tried telling me bulls don't respond to it. Glad he doesn't bugle, means more for me to bugle in. Learn how and when and go for it. I have had quite a few bulls come in without making a peep so be aware of that too.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 10:33:30 AM »
Thanks to everyone who responded! I've been practicing my calling everyday in the car. I got a few of the elknut dvd's and hopefully this will be my year! Thanks again. I always learn a lot from this forum!

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 12:29:21 PM »
Others will hate no matter what! Do whatever YOU need to do to kill your elk..

:yeah:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]