collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guns you avoid  (Read 20839 times)

Offline Da stump

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Give me a good book and a gun, that's all I need.
Re: Guns you avoid
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2015, 06:20:22 AM »
careful of the old 30-40 craig, it can develop cracks in the bolt that can fail and you could end up with the bolt driven into your eye.  :yike:
I've slowed down enough in my old age to finally let the game catch up to me

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2015, 06:22:53 AM »
High point, new england firearms, rossi, and any firearms not made in US
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2015, 06:43:10 AM »
Glock. Good quality guns, but I cannot shoot them to save my life with the safety in the trigger like they have. Don't know why.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2015, 07:07:33 AM »
I am not a big fan of any Remington's besides the 870. Also not a big tikka fan I know lots of guys love em but if I want a cheap, light, accurate rifle I'll stick with my savage axis.

I bought a model 700 classic in the early 70s in .30-06 and the gun has performed well every time out. I love that gun. I also have a 12 gauge 1187 that's been a good gun, but the recoil track inside the action has become razor sharp over the years and if I'm not careful when I clean it, I get cut. I had a problem with the ejector arms but replaced those and it works flawlessly. I upgraded the barrel to a 28" and it's a goose killin' machine.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2015, 07:35:41 AM »
Glock
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline netcoyote

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2015, 08:31:49 AM »
Just could never warm up to the whole AR thing. Looked at 100's of 'em, but just could never get myself to open a wallet for one. Got many brands of revolvers, semi's, rifles and shotguns...just no room in the safe for an AR and have no intention of making room. Don't mind that others like them and I have shot a few...it's just one of those things.
"...t'aint never a thing wrong with a man such that the mountains can't cure."

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2015, 09:06:41 AM »
Quality First , having been at it since I was 14,almost 60 now.   I know what to look for and stay away from! :tup:

I haven't purchased a NEW firearm in years, IF you catch my drift! :chuckle:

The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2015, 09:11:30 AM »
Quality First , having been at it since I was 14,almost 60 now.   I know what to look for and stay away from! :tup:

I haven't purchased a NEW firearm in years, IF you catch my drift! :chuckle:
I do (think so anyways).  And I think you can still get good quality stuff but it is a different 'grade' and you pay a lot more, whereas the old stuff it was standard. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »
Just could never warm up to the whole AR thing. Looked at 100's of 'em, but just could never get myself to open a wallet for one. Got many brands of revolvers, semi's, rifles and shotguns...just no room in the safe for an AR and have no intention of making room. Don't mind that others like them and I have shot a few...it's just one of those things.

I always felt the same about ARs until I built one to look the way I wanted it this year. It took about 5 months and a lot of help from biggerhammer. In addition, I'm able to have another upper built in a different caliber so that I can shoot different calibers, which is awesome. The 6.5mm I have now is about a buck a pull, but it's good for all big game. I intend to do something like the 5.56mm so I won't have to spend so much money shooting it. All I'll need to do is switch out the scope and bi-pod and I'm all set with another caliber. I don't see buying another conventional firearm anytime in the near future. I'm hooked.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
I hear you on AR's. I'm the same way with any gun with a de-cocker. I know they are proven but I simply can't get past dropping the hammer with that much force knowing a round is in the chamber. Its just me. I've got no problem handling the weapon in a safe manner and me lowering the hammer if needed. However, flipping the doomawhidget and the hammer smaking down....I can't do it.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2015, 09:23:13 AM »
I've never been a fan of AK47's (or 74's). I know they have a reputation of being reliable, but I just think they are ugly, and there's the whole anti-American aspect of them...
:yeah:
The older ones (and possibly still do) had a half dozen parts that you could reassemble backwards.  Also do not like Glocks.  I would take a shot out Sig over a Glock any day.

Offline MP123

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2015, 11:47:49 AM »
I've never been a fan of AK47's (or 74's). I know they have a reputation of being reliable, but I just think they are ugly, and there's the whole anti-American aspect of them...

Same here.  Every time I see an AK I can't help thinking of Russians, Chi-Coms, Vietcong, Hamas, African Warlords, ISIS, and so on.  Pretty much the weapon of choice for our enemies for the last 50 years or so.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:07 AM »
Not to discount your opinion but Ruger is my go to hunting rifle. Trigger sux to be fair.

+1, my go to rifle.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2015, 03:18:09 PM »
Kinda surprised at all the Remington ones. I know they were never considered top of the line but they have served me well. 2 700's, 2 870's and a 788. all have been great. 1 700 is an old 30-06 from the 70's I believe (it was my dads) that doesn't even have the floor plate to drop the shells out. I thought about "updating" it to at least a floor plate but I like the novelty I guess. the other 700 is a 2004 or so 7mm RemMag and is my go to hunting rifle (pre recall too lol). one of the 870's I recently upgraded to (or downgraded depending on your taste) a tactical shotgun (short barrel, extended mag, upgraded follower, side saddle blah blah blah). again has served me well. well cant all be winner I guess  :chuckle:
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline andy*

• Pilgrim
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »
I'm a blue steel and wood stock kinda guy.
Anything that is black, plastic, tactical or in the latest fad cartridge I avoid.
Nothing wrong with anyone liking or owning those above choices, just not for me...
Andy
Follow me, I am the Infantry.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]