collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Antelope Input  (Read 10209 times)

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Wyoming Antelope Input
« on: May 06, 2015, 03:58:14 PM »
Hey guys, myself, my dad and a buddy have time set aside for a Wyoming antelope hunt. We have a couple points but are wanting to head down on a guaranteed draw hunt to hopefully put some meat in the freezer and explore a little country while we are down there for when we have more points to hopefully draw a more quality unit. My buddy has a buddy who lives in Sheridan. This guy is so green to hunting and a little naive. His buddy tells him the lopes are everywhere and getting on to private is no problem. Myself not knowing this guy at all have no intention on banking on some he said she said info. We are looking at unit 22 as an option and I know the amount of public is pretty limited. Anyone have any experience with unit 22 or should we look elsewhere? Sure it would be great to know "that guy" but like I said I don't personally know him and don't want to go that far on a wild goose chase. We would like to remain to the northern part of the state but are willing to venture if we have better odds. They say there are trophy bucks in all the units which is great but Id be happy with just a meat hunt since we love to eat antelope. Any advice would be appreciated.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline Chesapeake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Wyoming Antelope Input
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 06:57:32 AM »
Have you looked at the hunter access in that unit (county)? Public access in that area is limited as you know. I'm not aware of any premier lope units in that area, so what would you be going to look at? That entire corner of the state is fairly limited for public access for lopes except maybe the grasslands.
Pretty sure the premier units are between Casper and the Wyoming range.

Offline Bwana Bob

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:12:13 AM »
Any area you can draw as a second choice will have a lot of private land in it. A little late in your planning but you could pay a tress pass fee and hunt. Sometimes the regional office for an area will have a landowner list for people that will let you hunt for a fee. That way you won't burn your points if you draw your second choice hunt. Or just buy antelope doe tags in an area with lots of public land.
The last option is go in the special draw. You can draw quite a few good areas with 2 points. I plan to do this myself this season.

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
Go here:

These areas will be a fall back plan:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/frmWalkinHuntingHome.aspx

22 is in Johnson county and no walk in area listed. Next look at BLM and state lands (Yellow and blue on most maps). Some of this may be accessible.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:03:40 AM by Chesapeake »

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »
If you put in for the more expensive draw with a couple pts it will open up a lot more options.  If you don't  want to spend the extra money take a look at unit 72.  It has private land issues a bit, but a lot of it is open through the hma program.  72 is a little more in the middle of the state. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:30:01 PM by Bigshooter »
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 01:28:32 PM »
Just looked at 72 and it took 3 pts to draw last year in the regular  draw.  72 has had a huge cut in tags since 2011.  2011 it had 1250 tags last year it was down to 400.  If they increase tag numbers for 72 you might be able to draw with 2pts.  If not it will probably be 3pts again.  I would really consider spending the extra money and apply  in the more expensive draw.  Lots more options with 2 pts.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 01:40:32 PM »
Looks like area 72 went from 400 tags last year to 250 tags this year.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
I read guaranteed tag and meat in the freezer which for me means a couple of doe tags.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »

I was just looking for this year's tag numbers, where did you find them?

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 02:20:53 PM »

Forget about 72 then.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 02:48:16 PM »

I was just looking for this year's tag numbers, where did you find them?

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/REGULATIONS_CH5_FILING0006964.pdf

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
22 is almost all landlocked or private land. When you have checker-board public/private mixes, it's nigh impossible to get onto it. I would think this would be a great hunt for does as most farmers/ranchers have very cheap trespass fees for those...So if you were to say hunt 4, 8 or 10 does, you may get a discount on the bucks...Some farmers allow trespass fees of $100 bucks or so for bucks....All depends on what you're looking at doing. In areas with very low public land, your best bet is to pay the piper and get a trespass fee. The "premier" units have tons of public land and no issues with access, they also often have fewer doe tags...If you talk to a biologist, they will often get you phone numbers for farmers and ranchers with issues with the speed goats. It's worked for me in the past. Good luck!
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
72 was cool till Eastman's and Huntin Fool started listing it as a "Trophy" unit, then it started downhill and points creep set in. Then a bad winter knocked the population down and they cut the tags.

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I currently have 2 points so I'm considering just getting another point this year and bagging the trip down. For some reason Wyoming totally confuses me. I hear all kinds of different opinions and stories regarding their access to public land and issues. Nothing is really cut and dry.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
Wyoming Antelope Input
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »
Access is pretty easy. Use the link I posted and you can easily see what walk on stuff is available where. BLM and state is easy, just make sure it's not land locked, or tied up by some user that restricts access.
If you get the Hunt Maps for your GPS they have the walk in stuff right on your GPS. Real easy.

Your issue is your asking about an area of the state that's not easy access, and more specifically a unit that's not easy access.
Unless you want to bank on your " friend of a friend" deal, you should broaden your search area.
2 points will have you hunting easy with access if you want. Pretty good units as well. Just not near Sheridan.

If you began with "I have 2 points, would like to make a maiden voyage to Wyoming for speed goats, and would like to have a chance at some doe tags". Suggestions would flow easy.

Wyoming has a great website with tons of info.
This is the leftovers from June last year. You could go look now. Those "20" series units don't sell out their doe tags because access sucks, so not many non-locals buy the tags. If access was decent those tags would sell out to guys like you and me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:04:48 PM by Chesapeake »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU